Weight gain

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to put weight on for about a year now after my weight dropped to 6 stone 10 before I was diagnosed with type 1 in November 2013.

Bit by bit it has been coming back and I'm now 7 stone 8 ... But I hate it :( I thought I wanted to put the weight on but when I look in the mirror I realise that I preferred my body as it was at 7 stone.

Everyone is telling me that I need to keep it up and get to about 8 stone so that I can afford to lose weight if I get ill (even a cold can come times cause me to lose about 4lbs in a matter of days). The problem is that I no longer want to put on any more weight. In fact I want to lose it.

I know that this is completely illogical and irrational and I don't plan in starving myself or stopping my insulin in order to lose weight. I know that my health is too fragile to risk any more problems.

I guess I just wanted to get it out there and admit to this because I'm fed up of telling everyone I agree with the fact that I need to gain weight when all I really want to do is scream at them "can you not see how fat I am now?!". Obviously they would believe me to be crazy so I keep my mouth shut

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rosie, you need to maintain a healthy weight to stay fit. You don't say how tall you are, whether you are small or big framed, but 6 stone 10 sound very light. You haven't been diagnosed for very long and you may be suffering from depression, it is a lot to take in to start with and you are having to adapt to a whole new lifestyle. You are aware that you are being illogical and irrational and that is the first step to recovery. Please go and see your GP and tell him how your are feeling.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It won't make you feel much better, but from when I joined I have noticed just about every new diabetic girl that has joined has felt similar. they like feeling better, but hate their new healthy weight, I think it's the suddenness of it and its altered body image

as a grandpar I want you to have a good bit of health weight and you may have noticed that it's flesh/muscle you are putting on and very little fat, but I also know the pressures young women feel. I'm happy you aren't tempted to miss your shots and make yourself sick to lose weight, you don't need those complications

are you willing to hold yourself at your current weight for a while till you get use to the new healthy you?

if you site search every teen girl here, I think you will find they all felt the same to start with.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/gaining-weight.56555/

Reactions: 2 people