Weight loss & diabetes

emily2707

I’ve been consciously trying to lose weight for the last few months and but have mostly stayed around the same weight. My consultant seems to think that as my diabetes control is good, I will struggle to lose any but I’m starting to get frustrated with this.
I have been going to the gym a few times a week, eating healthily (most of the week, ignoring Friday’s!) and have recently started running.
Has anybody got any suggestions for this or recommendations for what has worked for them?
Thank you :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to disagree with the consultant. You can adjust your weight if you adjust the carbs. Just reduce the insulin in line with reducing the carbs. I keep my weight under control by keeping the carbs near to 150g/day. if I didn't do that i would gain weight.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the 3 years of being diagnosed I have only ever put on weight. Couldn't lose any even with intense gym work. It was only after researching the benefits of low carb that I have now managed to lose around 21 pounds in the last 12 months. I am sure it could be much more if I also looked at calorie intake.

I have not got the will power to go full keto but like @Daibell above have reduced to around 100g a day from the recommended (also insisted by the dietician) of 225g a day.

I used to pump in vast amounts of insulin for control of my BS but now have removed the background (Lantus) altogether and only inject small amounts of Novo Rapid when I do consume carbs.

If your body (diabetic or not) detects Insulin it assumes you have consumed carbs so will not use your stored fat so there will be no weight lose.

At first you will need to carefully monitor your BS and sometimes accept that it may sometimes be higher than you want just till you get used to the different doses needed.

Good Luck.:)