Weight loss

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Hi weight has started to increase and am really struggling to get back on track I have a healthy breakfast of low fat natural yoghurt frozen summer fruits and muesli but am struggling to come up with lunch ideas for tea it is usually a healthy slimming world meal as my wife is on it. I do not find that very conclusive in helping me achieve any weight loss and would be very grateful for any and all suggestions as I was very close to 19st but have now crept back up to almost 20st and feel very depressed thanks for taking tbe time to read this post.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi weight has started to increase and am really struggling to get back on track I have a healthy breakfast of low fat natural yoghurt frozen summer fruits and muesli but am struggling to come up with lunch ideas for tea it is usually a healthy slimming world meal as my wife is on it. I do not find that very conclusive in helping me achieve any weight loss and would be very grateful for any and all suggestions as I was very close to 19st but have now crept back up to almost 20st and feel very depressed thanks for taking tbe time to read this post.
Hi Cratat

Have you looked at: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/welcome/?SEG=SEG_THIRTYDAYS&ref=1419 It might give you some ideas.

Regards

Doug

C

catherinecherub

Hi @cratat,

Low fat yoghurt usually has sugar in to make it taste nicer and you would be better off eating the full fat one. Muesli has mixed reviews on here as some people can eat it without seeing a rise in blood sugars whilst others cannot tolerate it.

I don't know much about Slimming World Meals so cannot comment on that.

Are you testing your blood sugars?

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks Doug just downloaded the thirty day meal plan

Catherine I dont test my blood sugars but all my 3 monthly check ups always come back as good

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Kat100 I seem to like all the wrong foods it is really lunch time I struggle with as it seems to be a sandwich which gets boring not a big salad fan I do like most cooked meats and tinned salmon and tuna its just what to put with them

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you take lunch at home usually?

Do you cook yourself?

A piece of protein with some vegetables of your choice (but avoid root vegetables, stick to what grows above ground) e.g. Cauliflower, broccoli, celery, courgettes, aubergines etc

Vegetables can be boiled or grilled or made into a curry.

Soups are nice this time of the year and can be made in advance and reheated. Avoid ready made canned soups though.

What not to have is probably a more important question. Avoid bread, cereals, pasta, rice potatoes or have in very small quantities such as two tablespoons max.

Testing before and after meals would be the best way to learn how much carb is right for you.

All the best

Pavlos

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Do you follow the LCHF way of eating?

Do you pracice portion control ?

Do you snack between meals.?

Doing the above three things I managed to reduce my weight by 40 Kg [88 lbs]. Not easy in the beginning but now simple and easily maintained and I still eat well [ I think].

Reactions: 4 people

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Pasha I dont follow the LCHF diet but am looking into it portion control I do try and snacking is a big downfall as I need to look at alternatives to what I currently have (chocolate)

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The main issue here is to make a start. Make a list of your difficulties and rate them from easiest solved to most difficult to solve.

Start with the easiest problem and move to correct it from say tomorrow, its a day by day battle and to develop new habits takes about 3 weeks on average. As you solve your first issue you will become more motivated to attack the second issue etc.

After 2-3 months you should see some really good progress. Later it just becomes habit and in any event you will not wish to throw away the fruits of your labour.

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks Pasha thats very good sound advice 1 problem is easier to solve than the whole mountain

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cratat, when I was diagnosed at my free NHS health check I was just over 8 and a half stones, about right for me. My glucose and HbA1c were very high and I had to cut out almost all carbs, completely different diet. I had to go on the low carb high fat way of eating and I lost one and a half stones really quickly taking me down to seven and a half stone (too thin for me) and luckily seem to have settled there now without losing any more.

I have a 2 egg omlette for breakfast or occasionally bacon, egg and maybe mushrooms and tomatoes. For lunch I have chicken beast/pork or lamb chop/fish with a stir fry or just vegetables. I did try celeriac mash but didn't like it and the more I tried by adding mustard, herbs etc. the less I liked it! For my evening meal I have a salad or stir fry or a s vegetable soup.

I eat nuts and seeds in full fat greek yoghurt, as a pudding sometimes or if I am still hungry, sadly fruit sends my glucose way too high, . As I don't need to lose weight I don't have to worry about the calories but I don't seem to be putting any on.

Good luck with your weight loss, it will be worth it in the long term.