Weight or is it?

Cabbaged

I’m a type 2 diabetic and the more i research, the more frustrated i get!
Why is it whenever i read anything about diabetes more often than not weight loss comes into play?
Ive purchased a few diabetic cook books etc and they're the same.
I’m a 5”10’ bloke and only weigh 11 stone ... i’m as thin as a latt and I cant afford to lose weight.
I’ve always found it pretty hard to keep the weight on, i have a physical job and ive always exercised and kept myself reasonably fit

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're probably in the minority though.
Have any of your HCP's ever though of testing your insulin production using a c-peptide or fasting insulin test?
How long have you been diagnosed with T2?

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are certainly not a typical type 2, I had only to stand by the door of a baker's shop and inhale to put on weight.
The trick to controlling type 2 though is to not eat more carbs than you can cope with. That is what I do, anyway. Others restrict calories - which I don't think would be something you'd choose to do. I can eat more calories on low carb than on low fat and still lose weight, so a calories is not always the same thing.

Reactions: Outlier

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to lose weight. The key is to reduce carbs and get blood sugars down. As you don’t have weight to lose, just make sure you have extra fats to cover the lost energy from carbs.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a type 2 diabetic and the more i research, the more frustrated i get!
Why is it whenever i read anything about diabetes more often than not weight loss comes into play?
Ive purchased a few diabetic cook books etc and they're the same.
I’m a 5”10’ bloke and only weigh 11 stone ... i’m as thin as a latt and I cant afford to lose weight.
I’ve always found it pretty hard to keep the weight on, i have a physical job and ive always exercised and kept myself reasonably fit

Hi,

if it’s any consolation to you? My dad was slim. Retired thrice. Active. But hey ho what did you know, “I got a touch of diabetes.” (His words not mine.) put on metformin T2.
He did lower his carb intake. I happen to know what “favours” they do for me. As a T1 from childhood on insulin. (Don’t ask. My mum treated it like T1.) But he did eventually come off the meds after a lowering of A1c?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately for those of us who are slim, much of the literature about diabetes (yes, Type 1 and type 2) talks about losing weight.
As others have said, we are in the minority so I guess we are not considered as much.

A little aside: have you lost any more weight recently? I ask because weight loss can be an indicator of Type 1. Unfortunately, something like 30% of people diagnoses with Type 1 as an adult were first misdiagnosed with type 2. Some doctors still think of Type 1 as a childhood disease although over 50% of people with Type 1 were diagnosed over the age of 20.
I think this is something to be aware of so if you lose weight and cannot get your blood sugar levels down, ask to be tested for Type 1.
Alas the weight loss advice will not stop, though.

Reactions: zand

Jo123

My sympathies its a bum**r isn't it!
Although I was slim through strict eating and a runner when diagnosed as prediabetic, it wasn't natural!
I've low carbed for 13 years never again had even a pre Diabetic hba1c but I still have a pre diabetic fasting bg and can't eat many carbs, in the evening I can tolerate more carbs.

I can't listen to diabetic experts on the media, annoys me too much with their assumptions.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Cabbaged

You're probably in the minority though.
Have any of your HCP's ever though of testing your insulin production using a c-peptide or fasting insulin test?
How long have you been diagnosed with T2?

HCP?
Have my bloods done twice a year. I’m stage 3 renal, apart from that nothing really.
I have a blood sugar monitor but its only recent ive started regular. I dont think ive ever had a c-peptide test?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HCP?
Have my bloods done twice a year. I’m stage 3 renal, apart from that nothing really.
I have a blood sugar monitor but its only recent ive started regular. I dont think ive ever had a c-peptide test?
Health Care "Professionals"..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would certainly ask the GP to do the two tests for T1 as being slim is a strong hint of being T1 rather than T2

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2 I was diagnosed in 2009 and I still plod on with lower carbs and higher fat to maintain my BGs .It is a struggle to keep the weight on especially as much of the advice is to help keep weight down !! My husband has been ill recently and I lost some weight and it is a very slow process to put it back on but I try to eat more things like avocados ,nuts, and cheese adding them as snacks to up the calories .I optimistically have a couple of glasses of red wine at weekend .There are a few of the slimmer Type 2s on the forum so you are not alone
Carol