well thats me..

Unbeliever

Good luck with it. Let us know how you go on and what sor of help you get from your Practice/hospital.

Everyone tells me its no as bad as you hink but its the one thing I can't get my head around. I will probably have to go on to insulin one day but feel suicidal at the hought. Were you really concerned about it?

I am not worried about injecting etc but i worry very much about hyppos and weight gain and getting into the more weight more insulin spiral.

I know I am worried because of he consequences of bad advice in the past so that I can't trust HCP's and that is my real problem
but I would be very interesed to hear how you get on.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Good luck weaver. I'm sure its the right choice. Let us know how you get on.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I also know nothing about insulin but I wonder whether some of the insulin weight gain problem is where HCPs define an injection amount and then tell you to eat enough carbs to match it; same problem as T2s come across. I suspect low-carbing will help with the weight but I'm not on insulin so will leave it to the those who are to comment.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Daibell said:
Hi. I also know nothing about insulin but I wonder whether some of the insulin weight gain problem is where HCPs define an injection amount and then tell you to eat enough carbs to match it; same problem as T2s come across. I suspect low-carbing will help with the weight but I'm not on insulin so will leave it to the those who are to comment.

Yes it might be worth you posting a few questions about those kind of issues in the T1 threads weaver. Get the advice of the experts!

weaver

I have been really stressed about going on insulin but now I am its a relief and not a problem,I have been very lean due to eating a restricted diet to try to keep my sugar low so I am hoping to eat more normally and a bit of weight gain would be welcome,nurses at hospital have been good so far,will let you know I get on

A

Anonymous

I'm glad you're not finding the transition to difficult.

As you've no doubt found out, the actual 'injections' are pretty easy to cope with. I always had a problem with needles and injections, so I dreaded the idea of having to inject myself. Amazingly, no one thought to tell me that insulin injections are not like 'normal' injections - I had imagined a proper syringe and finding a vein. It wasn't until the day I collected my medication that anyone showed me an insulin pen.

So - for the benefit of anyone who fears they might end up on insulin and doesn't know this, the needle is about 1cm long (there are different lengths) and is fine enough that most of the time you don't feel it going in. I fin that if I don't change the needle each time (you're told too) then it gets blunter and will start to hurt a bit. I also find that my Lantus insulin (long acting) can sting a bit - but this is the lantus and not the needle. The fast acting doesn't sting ever.

One thing I would say Weaver, is rotate your injection sites from day one - don't get in to a bad habit of always injecting in the same place. You'll end up with lumpy skin as I know from experience. It's not inevitable if you have a wide variety of spots (usually anywhere you can pinch together some flesh).

That's probably all obvious but I didn't want anyone sitting there thinking that they'd end up looking like a scene from Trainspotting..

S

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope it all goes well weaver! :thumbup:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've found it's not too bad if you're just on lantus/long acting. The fun really starts when you have to use novorapid or another short acting, as you hypo a lot more easily and this can lead to weight gain if you get into the hypo/food/inject rollercoaster. But maybe I'm just not very good at carb counting. Anyway what I'm saying is, don't fear a bit of lantus too much it won't make you go hypo unless you really over do it. If you have a lowish carb diet you can probably avoid the novorapid for a long time!

weaver

I am only injecting once a day at tea time,had a couple of crumpets for supper last night and my sugar was 7 this morning which is brilliant for me

purpleya

I was finally put on insulin recently

I find I feel much better now I am on insulin but use insulin Humalog Mix 25 and there doesn't seem to be many posts about this. Does anyone else use this?

I was devastated at the thought initially as it felt like last resort but I'm glad now. I did get a bad cold and had to increase and then had a series of hypos when I was starting to feel better and didn't reduce my insulin accordingly... in fact I had a complete melt down for a few days, really stressed out and exhausted, it was really controlling me. Wish someone had warned me about this.

Now I feel in control and the only way is up. I'm reducing my carbs and reducing my insulin. Still battling with the weight 182lbs which nothing seems to shift.

For all those fearing the thought of going onto insulin, don't fret it ain't that bad. I actually realise from feeling so good now how bad I felt before!

weaver

things are going ok,sugar lots better,feeling better,put half a stone on due to being able to eat a better diet now,I'm now 12.5 stone which for a 6ft large frame bloke is still on the slender side,hope to get back up to 13 stone eventually

weaver

its so good to be able to eat a decent diet with out worrying about my BG,should have taken the plunge ages ago :)

weaver

dvla have given me a 3 year licence,motorcycle and car insurance not effected which is something I was worried about so thats a relief

MaryJ

Hi weaver,

Your post of 224th apr will be a relief for many people who are due or pondering the insulin.

and great news re the licence and insurance

Mary x

weaver

thanks Mary,I was so stressed about the prospect of insulin,I was worried it may effect my motorcycling which is my passion,I was really struggling skipping breakfast and eating a really frugal diet trying to control my BG.Now I feel like I have my life back,really enjoying my food,putting a bit of weight back on and the black cloud has lifted.I hope my experience will help those who are in a similar situation to mine.

weaver

well hba1c down from 13 to 10, now on novamix twice daily,I have put a stone and a half on,mainly muscle :D, looking and feeling so much better,glyclazide stopped still popping metformin