Well!!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Well, I've just changed my set, nothing new their, but I've just used the inset 30, that my DSN gave me on Monday, felt a bit worried before using it as it's a lot longer insertion needle and I thought this is going to hurt. But was a bit surprised that it didn't . So I will wait and see how it goes, ok I managed to pull one set apart and of the needle, but hey I learn't don't tug so hard.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats great that it didn't hurt, well done for being brave

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you Fig, just got a bit scared, due to a different set, just a big coward I guess with change :-(. How are you doing now are the highs better?? That you've been having, btw what hosp are you under for your pump care as having to wait a month for your next app, that's a long time, when just starting a pump. Just saying as a newbie myself, only pumping since Nov.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am much better today thanks as this cannula that i put in yesterday evening is actually delivering insulin unlike the 5 before it! I won't remove it until my new cannula's arrive on monday morning when i will have the same dilemma as you as i am not very brave when it comes to trying a different needle. I did think i would contact the hospital on monday too and see if i could go in for an extra appointment as everybody seems to be saying that a month is way to long to wait, especially with the problems i'm having. I hope your getting on ok with your pump as you have only had it a short time and haven't had too many problems with it. Just out of interest, how often did you see your DSN when you were first started on it? I went in last thursday and had it set up with saline for me to play with over the weekend, went back on monday when they changed it to insulin then in again thursday to see how things were going and my following appointment will be in a month.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was shocked at a month wait too... Mine were going to see me weekly tillthe 1st appt when they realised a great member of this forum had helped me so much,that actually I didnt need to see them weekly....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was shocked at a month wait too... Mine were going to see me weekly tillthe 1st appt when they realised a great member of this forum had helped me so much,that actually I didnt need to see them weekly....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was shocked at a month wait too... Mine were going to see me weekly till the 1st appt when they realised a great member of this forum had helped me so much,that actually I didnt need to see them weekly....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw them monthly for the first 3 months and now have had no contact since 24th feb. Completely left to it. Again.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was to, I never waited that long I had calls every 2 days, with contact from my DSN, when I first started, then I saw her a few weeks afterwards and it went to emails, but I now send results via my sugar app, every week and week make the changes, only because I have to travel from Ramsgate to St O's then to Denmark Hill, takes 2 hours or more, so she makes my app with her for 3pm, so I can leave at 12 and arrive about 2.30.. But I still have weekly contact.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw them monthly for the first 3 months and now have had no contact since 24th feb. Completely left to it. Again.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)
I have appointments booked monthly for a year though

Sorry i didn't mean to steal your thread julie :oops:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fig, I started saline, for 1 week, went back but was given a scrpit to fill with insulin, so took the the insulin with me the next week, but was told take as long as you need you don't need to start straight away. But started the next week with insulin. I had weekly support from my DSN because she's in London at Kings College and I live in Broadstairs( look for Charles Dickens and the York Gate Broadstairs, I live their). So a long way to travel. But I started pumping insulin on the 28 Zniv13 and have weekly contact with my DSN I send her my results via email and we make changes.

That's fine Fig, newbies and oldies sorry DD, help all we can ;)

Eng, kick some behind, you need to be seen. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll be trying the Inset 30 on Monday for the first time too and watching out for that big introducer needle. Maybe we should do it together by Skype or something. :)

iHs

My support was a weekly appt after first starting the pump, then 1 month, then 3, then 6 monthly. I did have support from a dsn but didnt need it much as I had figured out how to use the pump by reading up and went back to the carb ratios used on injections as they worked better than the pump carb ratios used by the dsn using the 500 rule.

Good luck with the inset 30......try to stay with it in a specific area on the body and just adjust the basal rates like that and remember to not be afraid to increase or decrease the basal in order to get the control ok again.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Spiker my next change is Tues, but more than happy to change on Monday, to give support :). iHs how much should I increase or decrease by as have been a bit high.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Really difficult one to answer julie. You will just have to use yr own judgement a bit as every pump is different in the way it delivers the basal rate. What are your hourly basals? And what bg levels are you getting. Obviously, the higher or lower the bg jumps in whole values, the more you alter.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Brill, thanks very much.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok, I'm freaked, I have just started a set change with the inset30, and freaked the hell out me, seeing the canula coming out my body, with the inset ii's I don't see that much, but this made me feel slightly ill(I know I'm a whimp):(

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm nervous about the Inset 30s too. They are still in the box. I am wimping out of even trying them. That introducer needle looks about a hundred feet long. I thought I was going to poke the DSN's eye out with it.

Reactions: 4 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It was the trying to get it of, I use Zoff removal wipes as they really stick to me. So I used one to help me remove it, but you can only use it so far up, because of the window, which is like a film, so of course it wouldn't work on it :(. So I ended up peeling it of and seeing it attached to me freaked me ( lots of deep breaths and a look on Ebay at Cath Kidston bags, has calmed me a bit). I didn't have a problem with the needle, it was just that bit:(. Next time when I use one, I think I'll wait for hubby to be in. But at the moment just changed to an inset II, just to calm the nerves.

Reactions: 2 people