What am I doing wrong.. Aviva Combo

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So after getting the cartridge upto room temp for a few hours and getting every little bubble out, when I put the cartridge in the actual pump a big air bubble appears as if its drawing air in.. What am I doing wrong?! I've only done about 5 set changes but this seems to be happening every time :(

iHs

What you are getting is fairly common with this pump. I too had exactly the same trouble and in the end I just positoned the pump vertical so that the bubble stayed in the cartridge and didn't go down the tube and just remembered to take cartridge out when it got down to 10u so that the bubble didn't get pushed into the tube.

In the end, I got it sorted by leaving a small gap between the black collar at the top of the piston and the bottom of the cartridge and then that allowed the piston to gently travel upwards when the prime button was pressed instead of forcing it by telling the pump that I had the same units of insulin as was in the cartridge which always resulted in the large bubble.
Would you like me to show a photo of the gap so that you can understand what I mean?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I discovered that when I attached the black collar to the cartridge and then the transfer set, I was squeezing the cartridge a little – When the squeeze was released by me putting the cartridge in the pump, it sucked in an air bubble. Try being gentle and not squeezing the cartridge – It may help?

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
this happens every time with me. I just make sure I've tapped the pump on the table (gently) so the bubble is at the top and prime until its gone through the tubing and there are no more bubbles. ( I do prime the tubing like this every cannula change - bubbles seem to come from nowhere. )

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your advice I will try each of these next time, it's so frustrating when you've spent so long getting it ready that a bubble appears from nowhere!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just prime the bubble(s) out, I do this and it works for me every time.

Then once every day after I shower I do the same if a bubble has appeared, almost always have to prime after shower anyway as insulin ends up with 2cm or so gap in tubing (even with pump disconnected but still switched on).

Out of interest I did do an experiment, in your tubing about a 5cm gap = 1 unit insulin (this is a big bubble) for me that's about 3mmols so needs to be a large gap to cause me any issues. Small pin size bubbles would have no impact :)

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I haven't noticed a gap at all disconnected with pump running but had a go with Platium's tip. I still needed to leave a gap between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cartridge so am staying with what works for me lol

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really useful to know about the 5cm gap being 1 unit of insulin, I love this board for getting practical advice for using the pump off people with plenty of knowledge and experience. I have no one I know with one and I don't always think the DSN is very confident in what I mean or what I'm asking at times so a big thank you for all of your responses. I have just been priming the bubble out but it just seems strange that it just appears when I put it in the pump, I'm due for a change later tonight so lets see if I can try and do a cartridge change minus the bubbles, fingers crossed!!

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my 9 year old has been on the pump 2 weeks everyday we were getting high bloods threw bubbles
The nurse suggested putting the insulin vial in my bra a hour before putting in the pump
Room temp is colder than body temp and made the insulin expand and cause bubbles
Since warming it to body temp before putting it on chloe we have had no bubbles at all,also wearing the pump upside down has helped

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Success! My first cartridge change without the bubble appearing!! Fingers crossed I can keep it up! I warmed it up to body temp for a few hours and left the gap, so will keep doing that every change. How often do you change the black adaptor thing does it matter?

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Put the flags out..... well done :))
I only change the black adaptor about every 6 months or if I think the thread where the luer tube screws into is getting a bit worn. I also keep the cartridge in my bra for about 12hrs to get it nice and warm so that the insulin gets thinner and mzkes it even more easier to flick the bubble. If u hold the cartridge upright looking at it upwards you'll be able to line up the bubble under the luer neck better... ok

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do check your cartridge approx 6, 11 and 24 hrs after for bubbles and re priming...
Dont forget if using rapid d's to flick the joining tube connectors whilst insulin going through... As these will have air in too. Reps and dsn's do not tell you to do this....

Reactions: 4 people