What am I? Type one or type two??

Sjkind

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like some people's thoughts on my experience today at my follow up appointment at the hospital, 7 months since diagnosis.
Back in November 2016 I was diagnosed with diabetes after suddenly waking one morning not being able to see past the car bonnet after perfect vision my whole life, I was 43, bit overweight although I had been losing some weight without even trying prior to that.
I was told that I was probably type two due to being "over weight and over forty" so I was put on metformin and insulin for a few weeks til my eyesight went back to normal and in the meantime a couple of blood tests were taken to just rule out type one.
These tests came back inconclusive and the doctor said this is probably because I was type two, the consultant and doctor had a little dispute as the consultant thought me to be type one so a cpeptide test was ordered, which when it came back I was told I was type one. So for several months now I have been on Lantus and novorapid four times a day carb counting. Today I had my visit back to hospital and was told to up my insulin intake, 1.5 insulin to 10g of carbs and to take four metformin a day ...... because I am a type two!? When I queried this, she told me I wasn't "skinny enough to be type one"
I have actually lost two stone without even trying, sometimes I have ate so much junk and it makes no difference I don't put the weight on!
Tonight I took my increased insulin had a carby tea and didn't take any metformin and two hours after tea my levels are back to pre tea levels.
I know this is a long essay but I just feel a bit confused as to what I am??

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If antibody tests come back inconclusive then the result is inconclusive, about 25% of type 1s are antibody negative. There's often no definitive answer on what type of diabetes. Unless you have a positive GAD there isn't a way of knowing what type for sure.

Weight loss without trying is due to high blood sugar. Advice to up your insulin intake while you have these symptoms is pretty sensible. If your blood sugars aren't controlled you won't put weight on.

People with type 1 also take metformin. Metformin works by building up in the system, so omitting the metformin with dinner won't really have any impact on blood sugar levels.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The key deciding factor is the c-peptide test result. If that showed you have very low natural insulin production than you are T1 and you need to discuss this with the medics as this test is pretty conclusive. being slim helps the diagnosis but is only a rough guide. BTW 1.5 shots to 10gm of carbs sounds slightly high so keep an eye on your sugar levels to avoid a hypo and discuss adjusting the dose down with the DN if your sugar keeps going too low.