What App?

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone let me know what you get for the subscription to Diabetes Connect? I know you can edit the layout of your diary but are there any other features which are only available for subscibers?

Thanks
Never mind just realised you can swipe right on the unlock screen! For anyone else wondering the benefits of membership are:

Reminders;
Select a time frame for graphs
Change the diary layout
Get a graph for the day straight from the diary
Premium support

Might give the 30 days a go for a couple of quid and see if it's worth it..

Matt

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Seems to me it's pretty much swings and roundabouts. I haven't yet found an app that does everything I'd like. I've been using the Aviva Expert which is a smart meter and really like it for the bolus and correction advice, but the screen is too small for the graphs to be much use, apart from the numeric averages. I use that a lot. I haven't get bought the cd to transfer data to my PC. I've been using the Expert in tandem with MyFitnessPal for carb counting and I utterly depend on that. Brilliant app and it's free.
A few days ago I splashed out £5.99 for RapidCalc, which gives bolus advice and the graphs look good. But obv its not a meter as well. It only runs on one device with no built in syncing which is a pain. I'd hoped to have the bigger screen of the iPad for the graphs and the portability of the iPod. I'm certainly not entering the stuff twice. So far I've discovered it won't let me enter bolus doses without doing a BG test but I can enter historic data if I've done the BG test first. Apart from that it looks as if it will be good.
I just checked out Diabetes Connect. The graphs look good and you can input historic data, which I like. But no bolus advice.

For me the big must have is the bolus advice. I'm relatively new to that and think it's brilliant. What I'd like is a smart meter with the onboard software of RapidCalc. The Expert and RapidCalc both keep track of IOB so I avoid insulin stacking and the resultant hypo. Maybe I'm too picky but everything I'd like doesn't seem to come in one package. But, oh how things have changed from when I was diagnosed. It seems churlish to be griping about the shortcomings of apps!

Nearly forgot. I tried Mysugr too and gave up after a few minutes. The chatty style and cartoons just drove me bonkers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I am using rapidcalc, its good but it is not free

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I am using rapidcalc, its good but it is not free
I think it's by far the best of the ones I've looked at. It's so much more than just a diary and the bolus advice is invaluable. Let's hope it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'? The chap who designed it is a type 1 himself apparently.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just wanted to say a big thank you for this thread, have started using the Diaconnect and think it's FAB, most useful and easiest to use tool on my phone ever - cheers @Dillinger ;)

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started using the Dario app - I don't have the meter but it allows manual entries