What are the causes of gum swelling in diabetes?

BaffourKwame

Hi folks, I need serious help with this strange complication. Being a diabetic for 6 years, I have been experiencing gum swelling and bleeding. I went to see a dentist and she told me it was the result of metformin intake so I stop for some time and miraculously swelled and the bleeding stop but my teeth became weak. And I haven't recovered till now. Any help please

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @BaffourKwame and welcome to the forums.
Can I ask what type of diabetes you have?

Do you mean that your gums have been receding, getting smaller?

My understanding is that gum disease is very common in diabetics because we often have higher blood sugars, so we need to be extra careful with our dental hygiene and keep up visits to the dentist.

Googling isn't giving me anything on metformin and gum disease, though. It's not something I had heard of before.

I would suggest you ask your dentist about help with the gum issues. My only suggestion would be to try to keep your blood sugar levels in normal range.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Just checking. Do you mean that your gums swell? (Not swallow?)

BaffourKwame

Hi @BaffourKwame and welcome to the forums.
Can I ask what type of diabetes you have?

Do you mean that your gums have been receding, getting smaller?

My understanding is that gum disease is very common in diabetics because we often have higher blood sugars, so we need to be extra careful with our dental hygiene and keep up visits to the dentist.

Googling isn't giving me anything on metformin and gum disease, though. It's not something I had heard of before.

I would suggest you ask your dentist about help with the gum issues. My only suggestion would be to try to keep your blood sugar levels in normal range.
Thank you, God bless you

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, metformin causes Vitamin B12 deficiency in some people and one of the symptoms of B12 deficiency is inflammation of the tissues of the tongue and mouth. So your dentist may be right (sort of). However, without knowing what you eat on a daily basis it almost impossible to rule out other causes.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to try a consult with a periodontist. They do gums full-time. If you like your dentist, you can probably get a good recommendation there.

Reactions: BaffourKwame

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My gums were a mess at the time I was diagnosed. They’ve come back healthy after getting control. I think It was a combination of bad diet, high blood pressure and the effects of diabetes on the blood vessels.

Reactions: BaffourKwame

BaffourKwame

Hi, metformin causes Vitamin B12 deficiency in some people and one of the symptoms of B12 deficiency is inflammation of the tissues of the tongue and mouth. So your dentist may be right (sort of). However, without knowing what you eat on a daily basis it almost impossible to rule out other causes.
Thank you, Dr. Snoddy. Please can I get vitamin B12 supplement to control it?

Last edited:

BaffourKwame

My gums were a mess at the time I was diagnosed. They’ve come back healthy after getting control. I think It was a combination of bad diet, high blood pressure and the effects of diabetes on the blood vessels.
Sir, I am just 28 years old and still struggling with how to control this devil on my pancreas(diabetes). Please how did you overcome your bad dieting and the others?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Sir, I am just 28 years old and still struggling with how to control this devil on my pancreas(diabetes). Please how did you overcome your bad dieting and the others?
Hi. It’s not clear to me what type of diabetes you have. For me low carb and lots of exercise. I lost weight to manage my high blood pressure

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you, Sir. T1 anyway

Hi, if you're T1 then I assume you are on insulin? As a T1, I personally find that my diabetic control has the biggest effect on my gums, (though I also find that good dental hygiene and regular trips to the dentist are also important).

And my dentist recommended me to rinse my mouth out with water if I have to take glucose tablets at night for hypos...

Reactions: EJTC