what cereals can i eat and can i have a cooked brekkie occassionaly

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The full English breakfast of bacon and eggs was designed to keep the traditional English working man of old full of energy for hard work all morning. He would dig a canal before daybreak, then use the dirt to build a railway embankment, and then put it all back again before lunchtime. :)

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Here's a good place to begin ... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I can't eat any breakfast cereal and find Weetabix one of the worse!
Not as the NHS says one of the best but we're all different.
I have porridge most mornings but only with a tablespoon of coconut oil in it otherwise it would spike me ... fine with the oil in it and oats have lots of health benefits including lowering cholesterol.
JTL, Do you mix the coconut oil into your porridge after you've cooked it and what weight of dried oats do you use? I've really missed my morning porridge since I was diagnosed in mid-January.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
JTL, Do you mix the coconut oil into your porridge after you've cooked it and what weight of dried oats do you use? I've really missed my morning porridge since I was diagnosed in mid-January.
You'll be Scottish then?

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@frankman
Congratulations in being able to cope with 3 Weetabix for breakfast. I had to eat ONE in hospital (or starve) and it spiked me right up!
While I share your aversion to "Diabetic foods", it is not "sugar" that I seek to be free of in foods , it is an aversion to excess carbs that drives me. Put simply , if it spikes my meter, then I cut back on it! So it is not "sugar free" but "low carb" in my diet.

Reactions: 3 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you test after your 3 weetabix and what rise do you get ?
CAROL

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fry ups get tedious for me. Porridge with maple syrup, a green smoothie or oatibix. Makes the occasional fry up all the more awesome

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I love my porridge but can only get away with it if I put coconut oil in.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my porridge but can only get away with it if I put coconut oil in.

What kind of an impact on your sugar and to the taste does the oil have? I rarely go over 5.5 after porridge. But anything I can do to keep the numbers low is worth consideration!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
What kind of an impact on your sugar and to the taste does the oil have? I rarely go over 5.5 after porridge. But anything I can do to keep the numbers low is worth consideration!
A tablespoon full and a little nutty on the taste which I actually like.
I sprinkle a tablespoon of half sugar on it if I have no sweeteners at hand but it doesn't put me up more than around 1.5 and it's gone back down pretty quickly.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love my weetabix in the morning with raisins, now it's yogurt and berries or a cooked brekkie.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A tablespoon full and a little nutty on the taste which I actually like.
I sprinkle a tablespoon of half sugar on it if I have no sweeteners at hand but it doesn't put me up more than around 1.5 and it's gone back down pretty quickly.

Do you know how much it puts you up if you don't put the cocnut oil in?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Three or four points.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yes I love porridge and have it most mornings so to find I could no longer eat it was a bit of a bummer.
I'd never heard of coconut oil till I found this place so another big thank you for the support and information.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I eat hot oat cereal with added oatbran and milled flax seed when I'm working and bran flakes with hazelnuts and almonds or eggs on seeded toast at week-ends and days off. I find that none of them increase my BS by more than 1.5 at the 2 hour point.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Three or four points.

Thank you.
I used to have porridge nearly every morning, after being told for years that it was the best breakfast for diabetics. The last time was the week I started low carbing and re-started testing, and was shocked to discover it caused a HUGE spike! Can't remember what the numbers were now but I've been too scared to have me oats since then!
But now my levels are near normal I think it's time to try again. I'll make it with water and add cream (instead of the half milk half water I used to use), and then the coconut oil, and keep my fingers crossed!

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use the quaker sachets that you add water to instead of milk. I've not tried other porridge since I've been testing. But it does work for me.

Ironical diabetes was what got me into porridge! It was croissants and bacon baps beforehand. Although I do occasionally indulge still!