Prediabetes What diet should i try?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. Please help! I'm going nuts trying to figure out the best diet to implement. My last hba1c was 36 or 5.4 so I am not even in the prediabetic range but I do have random tingling when I eat even if my levels are not high and I sometimes wake up with pins and needles in my hands. I was eating a moderate carb diet - around 150g a day and have recently started a lchf diet, mainly because my fasting levels have increased in the last 4 days from an average of 5.5 - 5.8 to a steady 6.0 -6.1 which really freaked me out.
The thing with eating low carbs is that I don't want to lose too much weight, no more than 5 or 6 kg.
The newcastle diet for example sounds good but I would be afraid of losing way too much weight on it.
An advice on how to lower my fasting levels would be appreciated too.
I am a 43 year old woman btw

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To make sure we understand, you said you just started a low carb diet, but you don't want to lose too much weight. Have you lost the 5-6kg you mentioned already or are you getting a bit ahead of yourself?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
To make sure we understand, you said you just started a low carb diet, but you don't want to lose too much weight. Have you lost the 5-6kg you mentioned already or are you getting a bit ahead of yourself?
Hi. No I haven't lost the weight yet but last time I tried a low carb diet I lost a lot of weight - this was after I had my daughter 2 years ago and I was still breastfeeding at the time

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I'm confused then. Why are you asking which diet you should try if you've just started one?

The point I'm getting at is that it almost seems like you're writing off the low-carb diet without giving it a chance. Also, this shouldn't be a "Try" situation. It should be a "Do" situation. This needs to be a lifestyle change rather than something you have a go at for a month or two.

Worry about the weight loss and other potential problems when you actually get to them. There's nothing that says you can't maintain (or even gain) weight on a low-carb diet. I'm a perfect example of that, all 209 lbs of me, and I have no desire to lose weight either.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have already lost a lot of weight and don't have much to lose and are relatively low carb (not in my book but better than some) you may not lose weight. Just be sure to eat some healthy fats to make up the carb difference. Have some avocados and some nuts. You m ay lose some initially but your body will find it's own homeostasis.