What do you eat for lunch?

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I'm struggling for things to eat at lunch, that don't result in raised blood glucose levels. I always eat lunch while I'm out at university, so it's always a packed lunch so I feel I'm a bit limited.

I've recently discovered that bread doesn't do any good for my levels, so I've now sacked off having sandwiches. And today I ate premade brown pasta with tuna and pesto, but now my levels are at 9.

What do you guys eat for a packed lunch? I'm really struggling for ideas now!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Today I had a Rye Bread sandwich with some chicken on the side, other times for a packed lunch it might be a mixed salad (in a Tupperware container) with some oat crackers or tuna & pasta with some diced salad mixed in (tomato, cumber, beetroot & spring onions).

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am eating lunch right now actually!

I have made (and seems like 80% of my lunchs are the same) a salad lol

Its spring mix, with various cheeses, avocado, and since I am a vegetarian i have veggie 'chicken', which I am sure you could just use real chicken. And then a couple croutons, and Caesar dressing (sometimes other dressings).

This meal, usually results in my not needing insulin since its pretty much no carbs.. get rid of the croutons and its MAYBE 5g of carbs.

However, i have found that as long as I take my insulin with enough time between injection and eating, my levels don't go up that bad after eating normal food, like sandwiches or wraps. Usually i try to inject 15-20 minutes before eating.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A food flask is good for home-made soups, stews, curries etc :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

I'm struggling for things to eat at lunch, that don't result in raised blood glucose levels. I always eat lunch while I'm out at university, so it's always a packed lunch so I feel I'm a bit limited.

I've recently discovered that bread doesn't do any good for my levels, so I've now sacked off having sandwiches. And today I ate premade brown pasta with tuna and pesto, but now my levels are at 9.

What do you guys eat for a packed lunch? I'm really struggling for ideas now!

I love dips with raw veg, cucumber, green pepper, carrot sticks are so tasty. Berries fruits are lovely too and wont raise your Bs too much, I love raspberries. Could you take in some home made soup and a couple of lowest carb crackers, especially this time of year, very comforting and packed with goodness ?
Pasta can have a lot of carbs in it, you could still have pasta, but reduce the amount with some extra tuna/prawns/salmon
salad or veg in the meal ? that might help. Also are you active after lunch or sedentary ? as this does has an affect on me. I was much more active this afternoon and at dinner tonight, my BS was 5,0, so very happy :happy: I know people have mentioned popcorn, but I don't eat it myself.

Good luck and happy eating :)

RRB

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Brownie
If your a uni it must be hard.
Sounds like your doing ok, WELL DONE that lad.

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the input guys!!

I've been diagnosed only 7 months, and up until now my body could hack high carb stuff as long as I took enough insulin!

Not anymore though... Time to rethink my diet!!

Reactions: 2 people