What do you Eat? throughout a day

krazus

Dislikes
JAZZ!
Apologies if this has already been asked.

I was wondering if some of the folks on here who have been living with this for a while might be able to shed some light on what they choose to eat day to day. I have seen a few posts saying 'dont need to eat bread, there are better things to eat' but it doesnt say what?

So i was thinking, maybe if people wrote what they had for the three main meals each day, and what if anything they snack on?

maybe someone would even be willing to expand this to a weeks worth of days?

Of all the things that is thrown at you when you first get told about this, eating habits seems to be the most confusing and Controversial...

and sneakily I might get some great inspirational tips on recipts?
:thumbup: thanks folks

Fraddycat

Breakfast: Skinny Protein Shake made with Soya Milk or 2 rashers of bacon and 2 eggs fried in a little olive oil, or omelette with bacon and cheese. (this morning I had cold pork left over from last night's roast dinner - really filling and yum!)

Lunch: Chicken salad, or cold pork/beef/ham with vegetables (left overs from the night before) or McDonalds Grilled chicken and bacon salad or Tesco hot chicken leg. Avocado salad.

Dinner: Minced beef Spaghetti sauce with broccolli or green beans or chicken curry with caulflower - or cauliflower cheese (micro a few tablespoons of double cream with a handfull of grated cheese for 30 secs at a time till melted - pour over cooked cauli, bake in the oven for 20mins). Or Debbie and Andrew Sausages with mashed cauli - again with loads of cheese.

Snacks: babybel cheeses, cherry tomatoes, pepperami, slices of ham, unsweetened peanut butter (go easy I think that's what slowing my weightloss down)

MaryJ

Very similar to fraddycat really

Add to that Salmon Fillets cooked in foil with butter, chilli flakes, lemon, parsley served with mixed veg.

My diet is fairly boring as I tend to eat the same things but small price to pay and I enjoy it.

Also I have indian takeaway on a Saturday - 1/2 portion chicken karahi/bhuna/jalfresi served with mixed veg. Or chicken tikka shashlik

Mary x

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
On a work day I have;

Breakfast 2 Herta frankfurtas, there are cheaper ones, but I like these best

Mid morning 1 or 2 cheese strings or babybels or a mini peperami.

Lunch salad or soup(homemade), sugarfree jelly maybe with a little fruit in.

Mid afternoon 1 piece of 'almost bounty' or rocky road (in Chocolate Paradise thread of low carb section)

Tea some kind of meat and veg variation, tonight its slow cooked lamb rogan josh, with mushroom, courgettes and cauliflower. Sometimes followed by half a 3 minute microwave cake.

In the evening I often snack on a small amount of pistachios or a couple of squares of 74% or higher chocolate.

I usually have some jelly sweets in the fridge for nibbling. These are also on here somewhere, make up a packet of sugar free jelly with 1/2 pint boiling water, then add 2 packets of gelatine stirred until mixed. then I put them in silicone moulds(ice cube trays) leave them overnight to set, then put them in a bowl in the fridge to pick at.

krazus

Dislikes
JAZZ!
Wow very interesting so far. Is this going to be of use to people?

I think I will get great benefit from this thread. :thumbup:

thanks so far folks... :clap:

Grazer

Tricky Krazus, because some of us can eat more carbs than others. Also, some can tolerate carbs in the morning but not in the evening, others the other way round. You need to try different things, then test to see if it's ok for you. For example, I have a sandwich for lunch most days in the week, but I eat Burgen soya and linseed bread from Sainsburys/tescos and Iceland I believe. Less carbs. and low GI, but many can't tolerate even that; I can, I'm lucky. Also, I have a little bit of brown Basmati rice with a curry. Lower GI again, and I get away with it. I also have a couple of baby new potatos boiled (not over cooked!) with my meals. Loads of other veg of course apart from evil parsnips. I love white fish wrapped in foil with slices of courgette and tomato and cooked in the oven, served with runner beans or peas and a couple of my baby pots. I have shredded wheat for brekkie, same carbs as other cereals but lowest "of which sugars" content. I'm ok when I test, others aren't. I can eat it at brekky, but in the evening I couldn't tolerate it at all. So again, eat then test!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Breakfast : 50g of t Greek yogurt + 20g of strawberry yoghurt added to 3 or 4 defrosted strawberries or the equivalent in other berries. Mix well. If you want to turn it into a lovely bowl of fruity low carb porridge add a handful of milled flax seed (Holland & Barrett) and a sprinkling of Chia Seeds. Mix with a bit of boiling water and leave for a minute or so to swell up.

Lunch : Varies 3 rashers bacon two eggs some mushrooms, cheese and ham omlette, home made soup, toasted grated cheese, onion & ham on a slice of Burgen, sardines on toast, salad. Essentially anything that works out as very low carb. Always accompanied by a pint of diet coke.

Main meals : Fish (salmon or cod) & veggies, meat and veggies, good quality sausages and veggies, lasagna where the pasta is replaced by cabbage leaves (mmmmm), Indian takeaway (no Nan, very little rice). Standard roast dinner but always have with roast potatoes but only a couple. Yorkshire puds made from Soya flour rather than wheat flour. Steak and "chips" where the chips are actually roasted courgettes dipped in Parmesan cheese. For puddings 150g of fruit salad done as a 50/50 fruits / rhubarb combo with sugar free jelly and some double cream so that the sugar in the fruit doesn't raise your levels loads. Homemade low carb ice cream, homemade low carb chocolate pudding (microwave recipe done in minutes). Veggies are primarily those that grow above ground but find carrots are ok.

Snax: A few ritz crackers and stilton or sugar free peanut butter on buttered Burgen toast, nuts.

Most days I consume around 50 grams of carbs in total. I can do a bit more but don't tend to bother. Lost 4 stone in 6 months on that regime. My non diabetic wife does an even stricter low carb diet than me and is coming up to a 3 and a half stone weight loss in the same time frame.

krazus

Dislikes
JAZZ!
@ Grazer - yeah I know we are all individuals :D I think what I was hoping for in this thread, and so far getting is a really good taste of how all these individuals manage their food intake, and gain insight in how to make a restricted diet interesting or varied.
:thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat 1 proper meal per day and that's at around 6 pm. It is generally some meat and veg , could be egg salad, but in that range. Now it's getting colder outside, We will be having more soups.[low carb of course]
I usually go out to the gym at about 7am and don't stop for breakfast, although Imight grab a bit of cheese from the fridge. I get home towards midday and have a very light "brunch". Today I had a bit of feta cheese and some olives. I didn't have breakfast, just coffee at the gym. Tonights soup will be chicken and leek. Made from the carcass of yesterday's chicken. I'll slice and fry a large leek to put in it and probably some celeriac. Last thing, I have my one square of Lidl's dark hazelnut chocolate.
Tomorrow i'm not going to the gym, so I'll have egg and bacon for breakfast and probably just coffee for lunch and then left over chicken with mushrooms for dinner. Probably have beanshoots with that. Tomorrow will be quiche..ish for dinner with salad.
I'm trying to lose weight and Idon't eat huge amounts.
Hana

eggplant

Breakfast: 30g Kellog's bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk, coffee and semi-skimmed milk. 3g fat, 7g protein, 26g carbs.

Lunch: Cheese (30g LowLow) sandwich (2 x Burgen soya & linseed), 20g mixed nuts. 24g fat, 23g protein, 31g carbs.

Dinner: Stuffed savoury marrow with sausage (1 weight watchers) and bacon (1 weight watchers) in chilli tomato sauce. 30g blueberries and 100 ml Carte d'Or light vanilla ice cream. 1 glass Chardonnay (100 ml). 19g fat, 21g protein, 25g carbs.

I average between 130-160g carbs a day which I can manage quite well on. I tend to eat a lot of fruit (apples, pears, berries) and vegetables.

I use the FatSecret calorie counter app to track my meals and carbs.

joeyhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Am newly diagnosed type 1 and am eating 2 boiled eggs for brekkie with green juice with bitter melon, snacking on nuts, cheese salad for lunch with more juice and again a salad for dinner, i've just started with coleslaw and seems ok, with more juice and bitter melon.

I;ve done this diet since diag 18th sep and my bs is down from 19.7 to 7 /8 been prescribed insulin but not really needed it yet so not took it, am gonna introduce new foods as very restricted diet but feeling healthier than I have for ages, then see how it goes.

Had some mackerel in tomato sauce tonight gonna test in morning to see how that goes.

I'd love some recipes for puddings or chocolate based stuff, thats what i'm missing, mmmmm chocolate.

James.

Mileana

Breakfast

150 ml yoghurt (3.5g carb/100g) with psyllium husk
or
1/2 thin slice of rye bread 25g (35g carb/100g) with ham/salami or something.

Mid-Morning

Nothing, I never get up till around 9 anyway

Lunch

Salad with tuna, feta/olives or chorizo - bit of green pepper, spring onion, cucumber etc - depending on what's in it, some olive oil.
Sandwich (bought ones) - in which case I'll ditch the top bit of the bun/bread. Depends work/preparation.

Afternoon

Normally 1 piece of fruit - apple, pear - not too ripe. Works fine if I'm out and about.
If home, I'll normally go for almonds or cheese.

Dinner

Lentils often, or omelette type of things, or stir-fry, or chicken/veg, and generally fish 2-3 times a week - baked in foil, or fried, or steamed. I have a bit of rice most times if the dish is not lentil based.

I can tolerate more carbohydrates in the afternoon/evening, certainly. I inject insulin, but I do try to watch both weight and spikes.

Late evening

Few squares of dark chocolate (85 percent with roast almonds is a winner)
or
few cheese bites/a sausage/wee handful of almonds.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
louisewomble said:
Lenny3 said:
Sometimes followed by half a 3 minute microwave cake..

Mmmm could you pass on the recipe for this please??

3-Minute Chocolate Cake
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
2,5 tbsp ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Eggs
2 tbsp sweetener
Mix all ingredients, cook in microwave for 3 minutes, serve with cream or buttercream or cream cheese frosting, Da Vinci syrup, berries, whatever you like