What does a high blood sugar feel like?

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know everyone's a little different, which is why I asked. I know before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, aside from being really thirsty and peeing buckets, my eyes twitched uncontrollably and my bum itched *blush*. Too much information, I know; but just goes to show everyone's different! Now that I shared my secret, how about you? What does a high blood sugar feel like to you? Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tiredness and thirst. And sometimes an urge to eat carbs. That's two out three symptoms that overlap with a hypo. Though the tiredness of a hyper comes on more slowly and isn't usually quite so extreme.

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tiredness and thirst. And sometimes an urge to eat carbs. That's two out three symptoms that overlap with a hypo. Though the tiredness of a hyper comes on more slowly and isn't usually quite so extreme.

I've often wondered about that -- lots of people ask me if I ever get hungry when my blood sugar is high and truth be told, when my blood sugar is high, I always feel bloated and heavy, like I couldn't eat another bite. And, I get heartburn from processed carbs! And sleepy! Heavy eyelids, feels like I'm drowning in quicksand! Aches and pains and muscle strains, but never an urge to eat carbs! LOL

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
As with many others, there were no real symptoms of high BG with me other than the constant urination. I have over time noted a stronger feeling of "you've had enough" after sweet things like biscuits.
I certainly had high carb cravings pre-diagnosis.
I have been trying to link my feelings of wellness, energy and such like to blood sugar levels but not found any strong correlations. I haven't recorded any big spikes recently though.
Adam

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't feel any different when my sugars are high.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty much exactly how it feels for me too Spiker.

The main thing about high blood sugars is that the short term symptoms usually aren't particularly acute, but the long term consequences of consistently high levels are often very bad.

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to a and e with 32.8 I felt great but Eyesight was rubbish

Hmmm, not sure what all that translates to here in the US, but it sounds pretty bad! When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes many years ago, the doctor kept asking how my eye sight was. I didn't understand why because at the time, it was fine. Years later...retinopathy! Now I understand what he meant! But, I don't really get blurry vision with high blood sugar -- I do get tunnel vision with low blood sugar, though!

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As with many others, there were no real symptoms of high BG with me other than the constant urination. I have over time noted a stronger feeling of "you've had enough" after sweet things like biscuits.
I certainly had high carb cravings pre-diagnosis.
I have been trying to link my feelings of wellness, energy and such like to blood sugar levels but not found any strong correlations. I haven't recorded any big spikes recently though.
Adam

I try to avoid processed carbs as much as possible! I was young when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, so I don't really remember personally, but my mother says I was craving chocolate like crazy several months before my diagnosis. Err, more than usual. I try to keep my blood sugar level, but I can tell when I'm high. I definitely don't feel good; I don't feel sick, but my muscles ache and I feel weighted down. If that makes any sense!

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't feel any different when my sugars are high.

I've heard of hypoglycemia unawareness, but I never heard of hyperglycemia unawareness! LOL Wow, no kidding? I bet you have really right glucose control and don't let your blood sugar go too high. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Alicia R, high bg levels can make the lens of the eye swell which in turn leads to blurry vision, this is why they say never to get new glasses the weeks and months following diagnosis until bg levels have stabilised.

Reactions: 4 people

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty much exactly how it feels for me too Spiker.

The main thing about high blood sugars is that the short term symptoms usually aren't particularly acute, but the long term consequences of consistently high levels are often very bad.

Touche! I suppose that's what God invented the blood glucose meter! I test my blood sugar 5+ times a day, just to be on the safe side. Some people might think testing their blood sugar every few hours is daunting, but after you get accustomed to it, it becomes "natural" and you miss NOT doing it. Especially if you realize how important it is to good health!

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alicia R, high bg levels can make the lens of the eye swell which in turn leads to blurry vision, this is why they say never to get new glasses the weeks and months following diagnosis until bg levels have stabilised.

That's right, I heard about that! Thanks for reminding me! Makes sense!

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed type2 I felt really rough, ached, extreme tiredness,drinking, passing water to many times especially at night, constant thrush, feet used to ache so much I was reduced to tears,blurred vision itchy skin, and craving sweet food.
Since I was diagnosed I feel a 100 percent better but if I do go over for any length of time it is the tiredness that hits me first
Jan
All in all it was nice to know I had a reason for feeling so ill and it wasn't just old age galloping up on me

Reactions: 6 people

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I was diagnosed type2 I felt really rough, ached, extreme tiredness,drinking, passing water to many times especially at night, constant thrush, feet used to ache so much I was reduced to tears,blurred vision itchy skin, and craving sweet food.
Since I was diagnosed I feel a 100 percent better but if I do go over for any length of time it is the tiredness that hits me first
Jan
All in all it was nice to know I had a reason for feeling so ill and it wasn't just old age galloping up on me

With me, since I was so young, my mother recognized the symptoms, it runs in her family. But with my friend, aside from her mother in law having it (and they're not that close), she actually thought the fatigue, peeing, hunger and dizziness was a pregnancy! She's been pregnant more often than diabetic, but sh got the surprise of her life when her obgyn diagnosed her with diabetes! (Well, he suggested it; her family doctor confirmed it.) It's true though, if you're not familiar with the symptoms (and who isn't these days?) the symptoms can freak you out!

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Tiredness and thirst. Aches throughout my body and shortness of breath.

I remember the day before going into DKA (alcohol induced) and going to work. I could hardly walk due to pain in my legs and had to stop literately every fifty yards to catch my breath. I could hardly breathe !

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this when severely hyper but my sight went into negative (like negatives from a camera). Everything turned black and white and my sight was unbelievably light sensitive. They actually hurt !

Confusion but different to hypo confusion.

The frightening thing I remember most was that I thought my sugars were low and that I was suffering a hypo so I kept drinking sweet beverages.

Mind you I am describing extremely high levels.

If they are are just randomly too high I will get thirsty and dry and want to pass water more than usual. I also get this really strange heavy sensation throughout my body, in particular my legs..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
DKA - I will remember the one and only time - I could hardly breathe and had to go on oxygen in the ambulance.

High bg levels - an overall exhaustion with a feeling that my muscles are filling up with lead.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've heard of hypoglycemia unawareness, but I never heard of hyperglycemia unawareness! LOL Wow, no kidding? I bet you have really right glucose control and don't let your blood sugar go too high. :)

My control could be 100 times better than what it is, my HBA1c is at 9.2. I have a really tough time trying to control it. I didn't have the 'normal' diabetic symptoms when diagnosed diabetic either. I didn't even know people knew when their blood was high until I came to this forum!

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tiredness and thirst. Aches throughout my body and shortness of breath.

I remember the day before going into DKA (alcohol induced) and going to work. I could hardly walk due to pain in my legs and had to stop literately every fifty yards to catch my breath. I could hardly breathe !

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this when severely hyper but my sight went into negative (like negatives from a camera). Everything turned black and white and my sight was unbelievably light sensitive. They actually hurt !

Confusion but different to hypo confusion.

The frightening thing I remember most was that I thought my sugars were low and that I was suffering a hypo so I kept drinking sweet beverages.

Mind you I am describing extremely high levels.

If they are are just randomly too high I will get thirsty and dry and want to pass water more than usual. I also get this really strange heavy sensation throughout my body, in particular my legs..

Alcohol induced DKA? How can that be? Alcohol lowers blood sugar! I had DKA several times but with me, it was different. I actually had high ketone levels even though my blood sugar was a not-so-alarming 200 mg/dl! I was diagnosed with 450 mg/dl and my blood sugar has never been higher than 400 mg/dl after that, but even that's very rare! Me too, my legs feel like led when I'm high.

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DKA - I will remember the one and only time - I could hardly breathe and had to go on oxygen in the ambulance.

High bg levels - an overall exhaustion with a feeling that my muscles are filling up with lead.

I know what you mean, passing out scares me, and when I was DKA, it was probably the scariest thing I ever went through! It's like taking your last breath, and then the nausea! I don't know what's worse, the feeling like you're about to faint or the projectile vomiting! Ugh!