1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

What does one do with Kefir?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by wiflib, Nov 22, 2008.

1. wiflib

wiflib Active Member

I just bought a pot from Tesco's.
    I know it's probably a youhurt type product but what do others do with it? Keep it clean of course.

wiflib
  2. iHs

iHs Well-Known Member

Have you bought Kefir grains (they look like lumps of small cauliflower) or ready made yogurt.

Didnt know Tesco sold kefir :eek:
  3. wiflib

wiflib Active Member

It is a pot. I'm in Leicester, a city with a high density of Poles and the supermarkets have accommodated that. My pot of Kefir has been imported. I will be eating some tonight.

wiflib
  4. iHs

iHs Well-Known Member

Its an aquired taste lol. If you like it, then for cheapness get some kefir grains (I got mine thru eBay). All you have to do is put the grains in a large glass jar, cover with milk and then put a piece of kitchen paper over the top of the jar to keep out dust etc and put the jar on your worktop in kitchen for about 24 hrs. The kefir will float to the top and the milk will separate so that you have a watery substance on the bottom and the milk at the top. Then just stir the kefir milk so it mixes and then strain the milk off into a mug and drink. My partner drinks it every night and makes me put 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence in the mug or some honey. He suffers from coeliac disease and the kefir seems to help calm his guts.
  5. wiflib

wiflib Active Member

I've just tried it.
    It is a watery yoghurt texture, with that 'tang' reminiscent of good old fashioned knitted yoghurt.
    It's really refreshing but I will also need to have it in quantity with some sort of flavouring, probably vanilla. I can see it being a bit of a staple, especially breakfast.

Thanks for the heads-up, I would have passed it by otherwise.

wiflib