What does one do with Kefir?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just bought a pot from Tesco's.
I know it's probably a youhurt type product but what do others do with it? Keep it clean of course.

wiflib

iHs

Have you bought Kefir grains (they look like lumps of small cauliflower) or ready made yogurt.

Didnt know Tesco sold kefir :eek:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a pot. I'm in Leicester, a city with a high density of Poles and the supermarkets have accommodated that. My pot of Kefir has been imported. I will be eating some tonight.

wiflib

iHs

wiflib said:
It is a pot. I'm in Leicester, a city with a high density of Poles and the supermarkets have accommodated that. My pot of Kefir has been imported. I will be eating some tonight.

wiflib

Its an aquired taste lol. If you like it, then for cheapness get some kefir grains (I got mine thru eBay). All you have to do is put the grains in a large glass jar, cover with milk and then put a piece of kitchen paper over the top of the jar to keep out dust etc and put the jar on your worktop in kitchen for about 24 hrs. The kefir will float to the top and the milk will separate so that you have a watery substance on the bottom and the milk at the top. Then just stir the kefir milk so it mixes and then strain the milk off into a mug and drink. My partner drinks it every night and makes me put 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence in the mug or some honey. He suffers from coeliac disease and the kefir seems to help calm his guts.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just tried it.
It is a watery yoghurt texture, with that 'tang' reminiscent of good old fashioned knitted yoghurt.
It's really refreshing but I will also need to have it in quantity with some sort of flavouring, probably vanilla. I can see it being a bit of a staple, especially breakfast.

Thanks for the heads-up, I would have passed it by otherwise.

wiflib

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been reading about Kefir. If you mix 100ml with flaxseed flour
( 1 Tbsp) for a week, then increase the flaxseed flour the following week
by 1.5 Tbsp, it will clear all the bad toxins in your liver and colon. :eek:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah it is polish product. I personally do not like it (bad memories from childhood:yuck:). Its for drinking (apparently very healthy). I don't think you can do anything else with it

Reactions: 2 people