What fruits are best

Oldtimer

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the Forum and wonder if anyone had a list of fruits that are good or bad for type 2 diabetes.
I usually have 4 or 5 pieces a day of fruit which is usually Pears - Bananas & Oranges. I seem to think I have read somewhere Bananas aren't especially good for diabetics.

Any help would be appreciated

Oldtimer
:thumbup:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries are good - strawberries. raspberries, blueberries - basically anything with berry in its name. I do eat pears and oranges but never bananas. The riper the fruit, the more carbs in it.

Hope this helps.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my opinion, no food is 'good' or 'bad'.

You need to test to find out what, and how much, of a particular food raises your blood sugar to a level you find unacceptable.
If you are able to control your portion size, all the better. Some people and that includes me, simply can't eat any amount of carbs, including those in fruit, because it sets off a craving that is very difficult to resisit. Without carbs, I don't need to fight the urge to eat.

wiflib

Helenababe

Yes, it's how well, or not well you manage carbs individually. I can tolerate bananas well, and hardly spike, but 'any' other fruit and my sugar goes high, so all you can do is keep testing and find out which fruits if any you can tolerate.

Helena

slimtony

My vote goes to the avocado. :thumbup:

Bananas are very much trial and error. Some notice no effect on bloodsugars whatsoever, while others rocket into double figures before you can say "tired and thirsty". How ripe they are can make a difference. Green bananas tend to digest slowly and so any effect on bloodsugar is slower. Very ripe bananas can have a much quicker impact on bloodsugar, to the extent that some will happily use them to treat hypos.

Sindri

As the others have said it is very individual, my father could not tolerate fruit at all and oranges and bananas in particular sent his blood sugar soaring. I can tolerate fruit of all kinds with no change in blood sugars whatsoever. Testing is the key, have the fruit and check your sugars and see what effect it has on you.

AMBrennan

If you allow avocado, then you could just as well recommend peanuts since they're technically (i.e. botanically) fruit.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Currently for breakfast and on the recommendation of my Type 1 son I eat 15g of frozen strawberries with 15g of frozen blueberries. I heat them up in the microwave for 40 seconds then squash the hell out of them into 50g of low carb plain yoghurt (Greek I find is best). I find this combo very effective in starting up my metabolism as my highest BG readings tend to be first thing in the morning. Since eating this combo each day I am finding by +2 hours my BG is usually down in the low 5's whereas prior to eating this they would hang around in the high 6's until I ate at lunchtime. All in all works out as roughly 7g of carbs and 50 calories. For someone who never ate breakfast until diagnosed Type 2 this is enough for me but I appreciate if you're use to a large(r) breakfast my minimalist approach may not be for everyone!

Over the last week or so I've discovered I can also eat a decent quantity of home made fresh fruit salad. The current combo is melon, pineapple, raspberries, apple, pear and a few grapes. I've found 150g of that works out at roughly 15g carbs and 85 calories. I've discovered that eating this on top of my main 40g ish carb evening meal is making very little difference to my +2 hour BG score and really helps the "god I'm hungry" craving I get later on in the evenings.

Everyone is different though so try things out.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
))Denise(( said:
Berries are good - strawberries. raspberries, blueberries - basically anything with berry in its name.

I'll second that! :thumbup:

Just be guided by your meter readings and you'll see what you can/cannot eat.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

For me, bananas are a complete no-no. The only way i eat them now are baked into low-carb muffins. Oranges are very bad and best avoided - even a satsuma sends my BG soaring. Plums and pineapple are out of the question. However, a couple of slices of melon (except watermelon), a slice of mango (surprisingly) or half a kiwi are not too bad. Berries (especially strawberries) are really good, most apples don't spike me at all, and avocado (sorry AMBrennan!) reduces my BG. Bizarre but true. You'll just have to test I'm afraid, but small amounts is probably the key.

Smidge

Oldtimer

Thanks everyone for you suggestions and ideas.
What I will do is substitute some of my fruit for Berries, seeds and nuts and monitor my BG.
Going shopping tomorrow and to buy what I need and I will get back and let you know after a week on how my BG goes.
bye for now.

Oldtimer
:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing is the secret if I eat an orange my BGs soar but a satsuma doesnt have the same effect. Diabetes is not an accurate science :!:
CAROL