Type 2 What fruits should people with diabetes eat?

mummsie1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you please tell me the good and bad fruit that I can eat. Been T2 for 15 years now. Not apples or pears. I know grapes aren't that good for you. I love water melon but not sure if it contains alot of sugar. Over the years it's changed so much of what you can or can't eat. Gets very confusing at times.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@mummsie1960 , I think I have read that watermelon is rather high in sugar, alas. And yes, like 4ratbags, berries are the only fruit low enough in carbs that I eat some at least every day in season.

But different diabetic bodies deal with fruit, and different fruit - differently! Best thing is to try it, and test your blood glucose level one hour, two hours, and three hours after with your blood glucose meter. One hour is usually the spike, two hours your body is dealing with it, and by three hours if your body can deal with it it would have done it by now. :). I keep a journal, and put the BG readings and track the food in there.

I personally don't want to live in a world where I can't eat fruit, at least in small, sometimes very small portions. But, on the other hand - I don't get the really healthy blood glucose levels that diabetics who go really low-carb can get. I know I have to experiment by taking fruit out entirely of my diet for a month to see what happens (which is a good way to check the affect on food on you - and use your blood glucose meter to see if and what the effect is.) But I am avoiding it, just in case the difference is noteworthy! Then I will live in a sad fruitless world indeed :(. I just ate a mandarin, mmmm, and will check my BG level soon.

What I usually find is I do indeed get a spike, but my BG level will not only return to normal pretty quickly, but even be a bit lower, after fruit. I'm prepared to live with that in order to eat it. But time will tell if I can continue doing so or not.

Pugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@mummsie1960 , I think I have read that watermelon is rather high in sugar, alas. And yes, like 4ratbags, berries are the only fruit low enough in carbs that I eat some at least every day in season.

But different diabetic bodies deal with fruit, and different fruit - differently! Best thing is to try it, and test your blood glucose level one hour, two hours, and three hours after with your blood glucose meter. One hour is usually the spike, two hours your body is dealing with it, and by three hours if your body can deal with it it would have done it by now. :). I keep a journal, and put the BG readings and track the food in there.

I personally don't want to live in a world where I can't eat fruit, at least in small, sometimes very small portions. But, on the other hand - I don't get the really healthy blood glucose levels that diabetics who go really low-carb can get. I know I have to experiment by taking fruit out entirely of my diet for a month to see what happens (which is a good way to check the affect on food on you - and use your blood glucose meter to see if and what the effect is.) But I am avoiding it, just in case the difference is noteworthy! Then I will live in a sad fruitless world indeed :(. I just ate a mandarin, mmmm, and will check my BG level soon.

What I usually find is I do indeed get a spike, but my BG level will not only return to normal pretty quickly, but even be a bit lower, after fruit. I'm prepared to live with that in order to eat it. But time will tell if I can continue doing so or not.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally eat berries, but in the summer I can manage other in season UK fruits in small quantities without much of a glucose spike. I make sure that I usually eat less than 100g (in weight) and mainly combine with cream, yoghurt, or low carb crumble topping, and preferably eat as a second course with my main meal.

But the best way to find out what is OK for you is to use a meter and check before and 1 and 2 hours after eating to see what various fruits do to your glucose levels.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only eat a small amount of berries, never in the mornings, and never on their own. I eat them as part of a meal with either double cream or full fat yogurt, and providing I stick to this my levels are fine. Because I am currently using a Freestyle Libre continuous sensor (gives you readings every 15 minutes), I tried a small plum after my lunch the other day. I was horrified at what it did to me. The birds got the rest of the punnet.

Even my lovely nurse warned me not to eat a piece of fruit as a snack but eat small amounts with a meal.

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
This post has been removed by a Moderator as it is provocative and rude.

Last edited by a moderator:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is when one is extremely grateful for the Moderators!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by the practise nurse that any of the tropical fruits are high in sugar and can have an effect on a diabetic. She told me to stick more to what naturally grows in the UK and to eat in moderation. Saying that I have a banana every morning with my breakfast and it doesnt do me too much harm. For snacks then I stick to apples, pears, plums, and berries but you have to eat things like strawberries only a few at a time

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So I suppose the two satsumas I've had today where a bit of a mistake.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, tropical fruits are probably the worst to have and bananas can be a problem if over-ripe

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It says it was definitely a mistake one I shall not repeat in a hurry,
Why not try one next time and not 2 or even a few segments only. I like to have a few segments with yoghurt. That way the fat holds the sugars back... Being creative means you can sometimes tolerate things that otherwise on their own you couldn't.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes will try that tomorrow trouble is where there concerned I am a little on the greedy side.