What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Three mini babybels, a few almonds.

Dinner: Two pieces of homemade low-carb flatbread with lamb, hummus, onions, cilantro and yoghurt-sesame-cucumber sauce. One small home-made low-carb peanut butter cookie.

Late-night snack: About 40g of 85% chocolate.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Tuesday...

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Fresh mackerel fried in butter with a big above ground veg stir fry (broccoli, pak choi, red pepper, courgette)

Dessert: The last of the Alpro choc hazlenut icecream :arghh::banghead:

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until mid morning then sparkling mineral water for the rest of the day / evening

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a few quiet minutes before I head out. Sunday bed on 5.6 FBG 6.4 but managed to get to 9.6 thanks to DP before it started to drop. Had my diabetic eye appointment before escaping.
B. Nothing
L. Made the dire mistake of train food. The lovely James Martin is now doing Virgin East Coast food. Having not eaten I decided the small pack of crisps was ok at 9g carbs and the Tikka wrap seemed ok. Well it would have been if I'd scraped everything out and left the wrap. My body did not like 60g of carbs in one go - shot up to 12.9. Tried a vodka to counter it but it took 3 hrs walking in York to get it back down to 4.6. Phew!
D. Stayed sensible with couple of undressed sole and spinach. Glass of prosecco and a black coffee.

Tuesday
Bed last night on 5.4 FBG 6.4 and despite breakfast only got to 7.8.
B. 2 bits bacon, 1 sausage , slice black pudding and a fried egg. Black coffee. Also had couple bits of cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Rib eye steak with pepper sauce, Portobello mushroom, 1/2 tomato and a green veg mix of green beans, asperagus and broccoli. I did have 1 campari and soda and a wee prosecco (Well 2 actually and a Baileys)

Seem to have got over the sharp rise from the wrap. Walking makes a difference and weather in York was rather nice. Hubby trying to keep me out of shops.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday...

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Fresh mackerel fried in butter with a big above ground veg stir fry (broccoli, pak choi, red pepper, courgette)

Dessert: The last of the Alpro choc hazlenut icecream :arghh::banghead:

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until mid morning then sparkling mineral water for the rest of the day / evening
What did you say was the coffee Costa did with cream? Getting used to black but I'd like one with cream.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 It's an Americano - I have a Massimo decaf Americano with two jugs of cream.

If you have the biggest size (massimo) you get two little pots of cream but only one pot with the smaller sizes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 It's an Americano - I have a Massimo decaf Americano with two jugs of cream.

If you have the biggest size (massimo) you get two little pots of cream but only one pot with the smaller sizes.
Thanks - just resting my aching legs before heading out again. I'd forgotten how much walking you do in York and I have to watch my footing.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Chocolate chia pudding, 2 boiled eggs
L: Ham butty on Tesco sunflower & pumpkin bread, mini babybel berries & Light & Free yogurt
Small banana at 4.30ish
T: Smoked haddock & vegetable bake
Tea, coffee & water throughout the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Strawberries and cream

L. In fish restaurant in York. Delicious prawn cocktail, followed by sea bass with spinach and water cress.

D. Camambert with walnuts.

@maglil55 I was trotting round York today too :)
Where was the fish restaurant? We ended up in 31 Castlegate for dinner - excellent and very reasonable.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

NathLynn27

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Lunch for tomorrow will be chicken fillets in nandos sauce with vegetables is that alright? Dinner will probably be chicken fajitas. New to this so is that alright ?
I've been reading not to have much carbs do I need to cut out rice and pasta etc? Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch for tomorrow will be chicken fillets in nandos sauce with vegetables is that alright? Dinner will probably be chicken fajitas. New to this so is that alright ?
I've been reading not to have much carbs do I need to cut out rice and pasta etc? Thanks

Hi @NathLynn27 and welcome!

Has anyone tagged @daisy1 for you yet? She has a handy pack of information for newbies. Not sure what type you are, or if you are on any meds - both of these would impact on dietary advice. As you’ll see from the eating plans posted on this thread different people are able to cope with different levels of carbs. I’d advise having a read of Daisy’s information and then starting a thread of your own to get more specific advice.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Out and about last night so didn’t get to post.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was another fasting day so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was at the trusty Nando’s. Had 3 plain wings and a plain chicken leg with salad. That only came to just over 600 calories, which is a bit low, so 3 hours later I had dessert at home - raspberries and cream and a couple of squares of Lindt 90%. The later eating didn’t do any damage as my FBG this morning was 4.7.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@NathLynn27 and anyone else who may be interested. Here, in my link below, is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wednesday... I think I've got a dairy intolerance (or something similar) - yesterday I ate 1,000 calories (or thereabouts) and the only thing I ate which is unusual for me was some yoghurt - and this morning I'm 3 pounds heavier than I was yesterday morning - which I'm sure is temporary ... I'll give the yoghurt one more try (as I've got a big pot of it) and if it does the same again tomorrow then I won't be eating yoghurt again and will watch all dairy very carefully...

Breakfast: A small avocado (about 100g)

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Two M&S chicken drumsticks (I think they were called Spatchies?), half a small avocado (about 50g), salad (lettuce, peashoots, red onion, tomato) and garlic and herb dip

Dessert: As I am out of (the wonderful Alpro hazlenut and chocolate) icecream I was low on calories so had 200g full fat Greek Yoghurt and about 10g of flaked toasted almonds

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back at hotel to dry off. Was probably too much to hope for to get a fourth dry day. Yesterday - bed Tuesday night 6.3 FBG 6.4. Worst I got post breakfast was 7.8 before rapid descent. All this walking is keeping the BGs in check. So Wednesday

B. 2 sausages, 2 bits bacon, 1 fried egg and 1 Slice black pudding. Mugs of black coffee. Glanced at the porridge, cereal and toast but resisted!
Went for a wander then headed to Jorvik Viking Centre. Never been for 35 years! Quite impressive the layout now.
L. Nothing. Still just wandering about.
D. After much debate , ended up at 31 Castlegate. What a quaint building with excellent, reasonable food and a pleasant atmosphere. Staff were very helpful in my quest to avoid potato and substitute green veggies.
I had a little rabbit dish to start with shredded beetroot and offshoots and the best celeriac puree I have ever tasted. There was a little potato used to bind the rabbit but not enough to register a difference in BGs. Main was roulade of pork fillet stuffed with mushrooms and mozzarella pearls with a beautiful sauce. Took out the potato but they supplied loads of asperagus, green beans, broccoli and my favourite spinach. Couple of glasses of prosecco and a couple of baileys with a black coffee.
They had wonderful looking desserts but I resisted.
I would have loved to have had the trio of venison but it would have ended up a 1.5 as there was potato in the roulade and pastry on the pot pie which I doubt I would have resisted. Excellent place to eat.
Bed on 5.6 FBG this morning 6.
B. Thursday - much the same as yesterday. 2 sausages, 2 bits of bacon, slice of black pudding and 2 poached eggs today with a pot of coffee.
Went out to brave the weather. Walked for a bit then picked up the hop off hop on bus. Did a full circuit hoping the rain would stop. It didn't. Got off at Exhibition square and wandered back getting soaked en route. Now drying off.
L. Nothing
D. I have no idea but will probably involve prosecco and Baileys. Moving to Harrogate tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday... I think I've got a dairy intolerance (or something similar) - yesterday I ate 1,000 calories (or thereabouts) and the only thing I ate which is unusual for me was some yoghurt - and this morning I'm 3 pounds heavier than I was yesterday morning - which I'm sure is temporary ... I'll give the yoghurt one more try (as I've got a big pot of it) and if it does the same again tomorrow then I won't be eating yoghurt again and will watch all dairy very carefully...

Breakfast: A small avocado (about 100g)

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Two M&S chicken drumsticks (I think they were called Spatchies?), half a small avocado (about 50g), salad (lettuce, peashoots, red onion, tomato) and garlic and herb dip

Dessert: As I am out of (the wonderful Alpro hazlenut and chocolate) icecream I was low on calories so had 200g full fat Greek Yoghurt and about 10g of flaked toasted almonds
I like the piri piri spatchies.