What I like about being Diabetic

iHs

Aside from free cheese :) I can't find anything good about this condition. I religously document my food intake, bg levels and inject when I'm supposed to, but I feel I'm under a big black cloud. I'm very tearful, not depressed, just fed up. I don't like this new life I have, but I guess I have no option other than to get on with it. It's a bit soul destroying at times. Oh dear, feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment. Apologies.

June.....life with diabetes wont be too much easier than it is for you using 2 injections per day and eating food in sensible amounts throughout the day. By eating food in sensible qtys, you may well be able to bypass the many other diseases like colon cancer which sadly is increasing partly due to weightgain. Years ago, the diabetic diet was thought to be the best way of living and that is still the same in todays world. So come on....cheer up.....you dont have to count the carb in yr food gram for gram.....there is a bit of forgiveness but as long as you test yr bg about 4 times per day, you can just adjust the food a bit if you need to. Yes, there will be some hypos and some might catch you unaware but we all make mistakes in life and just get on doing all the things that we want to do.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi iHs, have woken up a bit happier this morning. The sun is shining, which always helps, the garden is looking lovely with all the spring bulbs flowering their socks off and I could really be a lot worse off. I have nothing else wrong with me, as far as I know, so I'm going to try and cultivate a more positive attitude instead of feeling weighed down. As Heathenlass and Noblehead have said, I'm only half way through the first difficult year, so it's some consolation to know that my 'wobbles' are entirely normal. As far as carb counting, I've started to do that as I want to see what causes my bg to spike and also as a pre-cursor to perhaps changing from mixed Insulin, but not just yet as I'm still getting my head round this new routine and all the info coming my way. I already test 6 times a day in order to see how I react to food and exercise and my poor finger tips are not thanking me for it !
Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement, it's been a godsend. I will undoubtedly have a few more wobbly moments, but humans are surprisingly good at adapting, some of us just take a bit longer. I can't remember the exact reason why I joined this forum, but I'm so glad I did, it's been a life line :)

Reactions: 14 people

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
June you sound just like me! Yes I can see some of the positives that other people have posted, but on the whole I feel like you - this disease sucks! I have been diagnosed about 9 months now and am on mixed insulin too. I am hoping to move onto basal/bolus soon. I don't feel as though I am in control of my BS at all yet, despite low carbing. Thanks for being so honest - it has really helped me knowing that someone else out there feels the same as me.

BTW, one positive is that I can eat full fat creme fraiche with berries, I love it! (So much that I am eating too much and beginning to put on weight!!)

Reactions: 5 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Linda, it's also reassuring for me to know that there's someone else with the same state of mind as me at the moment. I have my bg levels pretty much under control, no less than 5 and no more than 9, although I do get an occasional 10, oops. Btw we both come from the same part of the world (West Sussex) and have the same hobby - gardening. Small world. When you do move over to basal/bolus, do let me know how you get on. I'm treating you as a bit of a guinea pig :)

Reactions: 4 people