What is the best statin to take with type 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The right statin for you will partly depend on your LDL level. If your cholesterol is only slightly elevated above what your doctor thinks is a good target for you, a less potent statin might be what you need.

Hi Maria
There is still a huge amount of debate about whether statins are necessary at all. After all your body makes its own cholesterol and is probably well able to manage it.
Your doctor can advise on what he thinks the correct statin should be but it is up to us to decide if we want one at all. Personally I refused them and will continue to do so.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 40mg of Atorvastatin I was put on that after taking Simvastatin for a number of years because my cholesterol had risen quite a lot up in the 6's after I started to eat more fat than I had done for years. Although I had a lot of the good cholesterol my doctor said it does not counteract the bad stuff . I have never had any of the joint pains that some have experienced taking statins

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 40mg of Atorvastatin I was put on that after taking Simvastatin for a number of years because my cholesterol had risen quite a lot up in the 6's after I started to eat more fat than I had done for years. Although I had a lot of the good cholesterol my doctor said it does not counteract the bad stuff . I have never had any of the joint pains that some have experienced taking statins

Perhaps your cholesterol went up due to all the unsaturated fat you are eating - maybe try the saturated stuff instead - it worked wonders for me and many others! Butter, double cream, fatty meats -eating all these improved my lipid profile tremendously.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I researched it, and actually found 20mg Atorvastatin worked well, with no side effects.
If there a reason why you would prefer a different one?

But, the best one for me, was simply to cut out dairy, fatty red meats, basically all saturated fats.
Good quality none saturated fats are the way to go.
I do go for the classical cholesterol scores though.

Poor advice IMO.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps your cholesterol went up due to all the unsaturated fat you are eating - maybe try the saturated stuff instead - it worked wonders for me and many others! Butter, double cream, fatty meats -eating all these improved my lipid profile tremendously.
Those are all the things I do not like and I actually don't eat a lot of unsaturated fat as in low fat dairy either I just don't like the taste of high fat stuff like butter and cream and I don't like red meat so I stick to chicken fish good oils and avocado's and I would consider my diet to be moderate fat I don't think anyone actually needs to eat saturated animal fat as long as they get fats from other things like oils. Vegetarians and vegans don't eat animal fats and even with diabetes they can still stay healthy with good BG levels I am 77 never been overweight and my doctor says I am in exceptional health for my age apart from T2 which she says is a mystery as to why I have it I do not have any other illnesses or mobility problems