What raised my BG

A

AnnieC

I am prediabetic have cut out the starchy carbs and I do monitor my glucose. For the evening meal yesterday I had mixed vegetables consisting of cabbage brocolli french beans peppers and tomatoes with a cheese sauce and two Quorn sausages, for dessert I had blueberries and greek yogurt. Before the meal my levels were 5.4 and 2 hours after 8.5 and after 3 hours 7.4 . I was so shocked as whatever raised my BS that much...normally it is in the 6's after 2 hours.... the only thing I could think of was the cheese sauce which I thickened with cornflower would this have raised my BG that much.

Reactions: 3 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My guess would be the blueberries and as you suggested the cornflour..........

was it a lot of cornflour.........?

definitely something to experiment with.......

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I have had problems with just a teaspoon of cornflour (to thicken the sauce) as well. Best to try and avoid it

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it would be the cornflour, the yoghurt and the tomatoes. I have a progressive loss of insulin production, and a few years ago I could have eaten all these three: the first to affect me was yoghurt (and milk), then cornflour and all forms of sweetcorn, and finally just recently, to my huge regret, tomatoes.

But all you need to do is try each thing separately and test.

Good luck!
Kate

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
blueberries are low GI, so yeah there good, but it depends on how many you have I suppose.........

its more likely the cornflour ....

As Kate suggests, test each element of your meal separately, then take a note of the results....

A

AnnieC

Weird or what I had the leftover veggies in the cheese sauce for breakfast today before level 5.8 after 2 hours 5.7 so maybe it is the blueberries but I thought they are recommended fruit.
The only way I will find out is to test after just eating the blueberries and yogurt so will try that

A

AnnieC

blueberries are low GI, so yeah there good, but it depends on how many you have I suppose.........

its more likely the cornflour ....

As Kate suggests, test each element of your meal separately, then take a note of the results....
I suppose I had about 10 blueberries

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blueberries are fine, cant think it would be those. For a cheese sauce, I use philly melted then add grated cheese and some cream then pour it over veggies.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weird or what I had the leftover veggies in the cheese sauce for breakfast today before level 5.8 after 2 hours 5.7 so maybe it is the blueberries but I thought they are recommended fruit.
The only way I will find out is to test after just eating the blueberries and yogurt so will try that
I had a bit of a rogue yesterday evening, after a tried and tested meal, which usually brings me to 4.5, max, after 2 hours. It was the second lot from a batch, and the earlier lot had been fine.

I put it down to,............ A mystery.

Certainly test the constituent parts, and maybe the same combo again, but sometimes I just have to remind myself that we can't necessarily explain every single reading. Unfortunately. No point asking if you retested the 8 reading, as the subsequent 7 supports it, in terms of probability.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a couple of days where tried and tested meals which normally give me levels in the 5's have started off on the 5's and 2 hours later been in the 6's. Today levels are back in the 5's and i was wondering the increaase is due to the heat. It is hot today but not sunny.

A

AnnieC

I have had a couple of days where tried and tested meals which normally give me levels in the 5's have started off on the 5's and 2 hours later been in the 6's. Today levels are back in the 5's and i was wondering the increaase is due to the heat. It is hot today but not sunny.
Seems to work in strange ways just when we think we have it sorted on what we can eat we get an odd reading on our BS levels that we did not expect

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every day is hot and sunny here - although it's getting hotter still at present, so I can't blame that.

Life could be sooooo much worse. :D

Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every day is hot and sunny here - although it's getting hotter still at present, so I can't blame that.

Life could be sooooo much worse. :D
it is a rare occurence here in the north east of England. my body obviously can't cope:)

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Blueberries make my sugar spike high. So do raspberries. If I have them with yoghurt even more so. I am wondering if the frozen fruit has more sugar in it than the fresh, or if the freezing process makes them higher sugar content.

A

AnnieC

Well it is not the blueberries and yogurt either I had those for lunch, before level was 4.5 after 2 hours 4.7 so it looks like it will forever remain a mystery as to why I had a level of 8.5 2 hours after my tea last night

A

AnnieC

Blueberries make my sugar spike high. So do raspberries. If I have them with yoghurt even more so. I am wondering if the frozen fruit has more sugar in it than the fresh, or if the freezing process makes them higher sugar content.
I don't really know about that but know a lot of people here have the frozen fruit