What the Heck!

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
I think my Diabetic Nurse has shares in Insulin. Every time I go she ups my dose or adds more tablets. I have been diabetic with tablets only for about 8 years and last year in October they decided to put me on insulin injections but didn't take me off the Metformin. I now take 44 units of insulin in the morning and 56 units in the evening plus 3 x 850 mg of Metformin. I have gone veggie (although still eating fish) over the past 5 months and swim at least five times a week.
My beef is that on my recent visit to the Diabetic Nurse when she upped me to the 44/56 (from 42/54) I once again complained (as I always do) about my weight (now tipping the scales at 13 stone and I used to be a little stick insect!!!). The stock reply (which I get regularly) was insulin will put weight on and you will only lose it if you eat the barest minimum of food and up your exercise dramatically.

Gee thanks. :(

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Also type 2 for 8 years ... on 2x500 metformin (down from 3 by reducing carb)

What are your BS readings?
HbA1c
bedtime
overnight fasting
1 hour after food
2 hours after food

You should be testing now you are on insulin, not just routinely, but before driving & sport.
Test strips are free on prescription.

What is your diet? If veggie means lots of *complex carbs, then we would recommend a radical reduction in carbs - say down to 1/2 or 1/3 - & make up with other veg & protein. I did that & don't feel hungry. And I have lost a stone, down from 13, and before I started low carbing I was getting serious leg pain which was affecting my activity. I'm fully active again. I snack on nuts & cheese.

Hope that helps - the more info you give us, the more we can help.

*A vegan leaflet I got pointed out that a chip butty was vegan!

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
thanks for your response to my rant I am going on holiday to Cornwall for a week and will get back to you with my BS, etc. but will definitely try to drop some of the carbs and eat more veg. :)