What to eat/drink at wedding

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to a wedding soon and it is going to be a very long day. There will be buffet food at the reception and I'm expecting lots of sandwiches, pork pies, sausage rolls, quiche and so on that of course I can't eat because of the carbs.
I'm hoping there will be plenty of fresh salads, chicken and cheese - any advice on what else I can eat?

Also, what to drink? I am teetotal (because of my dodgy liver) and usually drink tea, coffee and water. Can you suggest any low sugar/low carb soft drinks that will be a refreshing treat without the bloat?

Can't say I'm looking forward to the day but can't get out of it

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why not take a small container of suitable foods (I do this when I go to functions and no one minds)? Put what you can from the buffet on your plate and then supplement it. There will probably be cheese and ham, salad, maybe salmon on the buffet. Drink water...still or sparkling but have it in a wine glass.

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why not take a small container of suitable foods (I do this when I go to functions and no one minds)? Put what you can from the buffet on your plate and then supplement it. There will probably be cheese and ham, salad, maybe salmon on the buffet. Drink water...still or sparkling but have it in a wine glass.

Great idea about taking my own food - why didn't I think of that?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended a funeral recently with a large buffet afterwards. Didn't have any problem eating the top of quiche, middle of pork pie, cheese, contents of sandwiches, coleslaw etc. My used plate looked a bit of a battleground, but less odd than bringing a sandwich box, especially as all the food was homemade by the relatives.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is me personally and not knocking those who do/have done it but I wouldn't dream of taking my own food and drink to a wedding or other formal occasion- everywhere will have water even if it's only from a tap. Most food can be picked at and adapted especially if it's a buffet. Fill up before you go and if your in your own transport keep something suitable in the car.

One concession I do make is a bottle of that little squash that you squeeze in to flavour water, but nothing else.

It's a special occasion go and enjoy yourself / be mindful but have fun :)

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When people know about your diet it takes the stress off them if you discreetly take food in case you can't manage what they have prepared.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the idea of water in a wine glass. Put a lemon wedge in it too!

I couldn't eat the fillings out a pie, the gravy, sauces always spike me. I could however take the meat of the bread. I could eat the top off the quiche. I could not eat the cole slaw

I was worried about food at my daughters wedding. Not only for bs but my stomach just as much. Certainly didn't want to look pregnant as the mother of the bride. I decided it was just food and it was my daughters wedding and if I had to fast through it I would. I had some nuts in the car for an emergency hunger but I didn't need it. I had grilled chicken breas with cheese and a few salted onions and salad. Both bs and stomach came out ahead.

I'm just very wary of anything with gravy or sauces. I've never won that battle.

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your replies :) The whole event is going to be about 11 hours long. I will take some food but leave it in the car for if and when I need it. I will definitely be taking the squeezy jiucy thing to add to the water, though :)

George_Loo

No matter how silly it sounds, but on all sorts of holidays I come with my food. I bought a lot of containers for different dishes and now I am preparing myself and with them I come to visit

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PattiT

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies :) The whole event is going to be about 11 hours long. I will take some food but leave it in the car for if and when I need it. I will definitely be taking the squeezy jiucy thing to add to the water, though :)
Use a champagne glass with sparkling water and a squeeze of the squeezy juice looks like Buck's Fizz or the black currant one it looks like a glass of Kir Royale - no one but you will know ;)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im getting married in afew weeks and I say on my wedding day ignore diabetes. I know I will have this for the long haul so there needs to be compromises and this Disease is not ruining what is supposed to be the happiest day of my life.

Edited by moderator to remove offensive language.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Im getting married in afew weeks and I say on my wedding day ignore diabetes. I know I will have this for the long haul so there needs to be compromises and this Disease is not ruining what is supposed to be the happiest day of my life.

I could not agree more ..... I know I most definitely would - and do!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I got married a year after I was diagnosed, and did exactly that! It's one day... and whatever you do in that one day won't kill you. (Actually, my "one day" extended into some of my honeymoon, because who goes on honeymoon and cares deeply about carbs?).
As a guest at a wedding, I wouldn't dream of taking my own food - I doubt that the venue I had my reception at would allow guests to bring their own anyway. I would use the day as an excuse to loosen the reins a bit - not go wild, but to allow some flexibility and enjoy it instead of worrying about the can's and cannot's.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I got married a year after I was diagnosed, and did exactly that! It's one day... and whatever you do in that one day won't kill you. (Actually, my "one day" extended into some of my honeymoon, because who goes on honeymoon and cares deeply about carbs?).
As a guest at a wedding, I wouldn't dream of taking my own food - I doubt that the venue I had my reception at would allow guests to bring their own anyway. I would use the day as an excuse to loosen the reins a bit - not go wild, but to allow some flexibility and enjoy it instead of worrying about the can's and cannot's.

Absolutely!

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I routinely attend formal functions as part of my job including 3/4/5 course dinners, and buffets Canapés etc, and there is always good choices to make.

I have NEVER had the need take my own food or fast to any event, and would consider such a move to be both discourteous, ridiculous..... and unnecessary.

Why make it hard(er) for yourself.

Go and enjoy the day, it is a special occasion!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When people know about your diet it takes the stress off them if you discreetly take food in case you can't manage what they have prepared.
I think it would be very difficult to eat your own food discreetly at a function

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea about taking my own food - why didn't I think of that?
I would never dream of taking my own food to a function I would not be that discourteous to the hosts I think that most venues that have catered for it would not allow it anyway. For goodness sake it is one day enjoy it and the food it will not kill you to have something you do not normally have why spoil the day by stressing about food