what to eat

tracy h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm ovetwhelmed by what I can or cannot eat, I need a diet plan, any ideas ????

BobCee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What woks for me is to not eat anything suspected of being sugar laden. I drink mainly water. I do allow myself an occasional treat but don't over do it.
When I was first diagnosed with type 2 was after being told I had a mild stroke which proved false. The diabetes diagnosis was after I had a TIA whilst attending an Ultra sound appointment because they suspected a thyroid problem may be some of the problem. The treatment for the TIA discovered the diabetes. I was informed by the neurologist to eat a balanced diet and try to not eat sugary things but no mention of a special diet. It has taken determination and some sacrifice by my family to achieve this low low sugar goal. My blood sugar and all other reading are now approaching exceptable levels after 8 months.
Early next week the Thyroid is being removed completely which it is believed may help because of the over activity and anomalies with in the gland.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You have to avoid all carbohydrates not just sugars. Contrary to the standard NHS dietary advice bread , rice ,pasta (includes cooscous) have to be off the menu. Also avoid any veg that grows below ground except in tiny amounts. Tropical fruit is a no go area, other fruit and berries in small amounts are sort of ok but check what is OK for you using your meter.

Be very careful with flavoured bottled water most are laden with sugar.

Jo123

I find low carbing works for me. It is as simple as getting a meter and seeing what effects various food has on your blood sugar. Some people can tolerate more carbs than others. I aim for normal blood sugar levels to avoid diabetic complications.

Reactions: 4 people

DeanLJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As folks have indicated, lower carbs is the way to go.

I've cut out refined sugars (except for the odd square of dark chocolate)
I have very little starchy carbs, i.e. two small spuds on a sunday dinner, low carb rolls from lidl, low carb pasta and tortilla wraps.
The only fruit i eat are apples, i've tested against my meter and apples are ok. i don't like citrus fruit so no loss there but i do miss bananas.

Breakfast is a toasted Lidl High Protein roll in combo with one or more of Gouda slices, salami, high meat content sausages, bacon, eggs (scrambled, poached, boiled) etc

Lunches are pretty much standard salads with chicken, ham or cheese with Mayo or my wife's sugar free mustard salad dressing (a bit like honey mustard dressing)

Dinners are mostly steak, gammon, chicken, pork with either salad or fresh green veg. Mashed Cauliflower with a bit of english mustard is a favourite too.

Homemade trifles are a regular evening treat, sugar free jelly, custard made from custard powder not out of a tim topped with clotted cream. Occasionally i have some grated dark chocolate top too.

We recently had chicken fajitas. Low carb wraps, fresh chicken, sliced peppers and the lowest sugar content fajita mix we could find. consumed with 2 bottles of Corrs lager and was only 1.2 points up on my meter after 2 hours.

I'm ok with Carrots and Peas although some people find these can spike them. I'm even ok with a bag of Walkers French Fries as part of my lunch with a salad.

I've found i can have two or three bottles of Coors Lite lager once or twice a week with no discernible affect on my BG :)
Coors Lite is much lower carb than other beers.

it really is trial and error with your meter within the guidelines of low carbs, (almost) no refined sugar, very few starchy carbs.

lots of brilliant info and help on this forum, get stuck in and read, read, read.

Reactions: 6 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I find flat bread generally cause less of a BGL rise than risen breads. I Italy I usually have a Piadina (a flat bread wrap) as a light lunch without going much over 6.5. Potato scones also seem just about OK. I have an occasional piece of Soda Scone bit more that half would be too much.