What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

amoreamore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Normally my morning Bs is anything between 5.2 and 6.6.

This morning it was 3.4. This seems very low. I checked it again about 15 mins later and it was 3.6. Never been this low before. My diabetes nurse has said I shouldn't drive if it goes much below 5. Help please.

I was on 2 X 1000 SR. Metformin and 1 mg Glimipiride. Lost weight on Blood Sugar Diet so was told I could come off Glimipiride. Still on 2 X 1000 Metformin and have now lost 26 lb but am still in overweight bands.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This morning it was 3.4. This seems very low. I checked it again about 15 mins later and it was 3.6. Never been this low before. My diabetes nurse has said I shouldn't drive if it goes much below 5. Help please.

I was on 2 X 1000 SR. Metformin and 1 mg Glimipiride. Lost weight on Blood Sugar Diet so was told I could come off Glimipiride. Still on 2 X 1000 Metformin and have now lost 26 lb but am still in overweight bands.

You are correct in saying that 3.4 is low. Did you have something sugary to eat/drink after testing? Examples of good hypo treatments include juice, soft drink, lollies, glucose tabs, glucogel. Generally you should aim to keep your blood sugar above 4 - if you are below 4, consume 15 g of one of the suggested treatments above, and then check your blood sugar again in 15min. If you are still below 4, repeat until you are above 4. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia include (but are not limited to) shakiness, sweating, confusion, irritability, hunger, anxiety, weakness, dizziness, changes to your vision, sleepiness, and headaches. If you feel any of these, or just feel 'off' somehow, check your blood sugar!

As your nurse said, driving with a blood sugar above 5 is the safest way to drive. If your blood sugar goes too low while you are driving you are more likely to have an accident. Check before you drive and have a snack if you are below 5.

I don't know much about the medication you are taking - you should consult with your nurse or a doctor about any changes. Based on your low readings today, you probably do need your meds to be adjusted.

Good luck!

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)

Legally if you have an accident driving a car and the police ask you to submit to a glucose test and you register 4.9 you could end up in serious trouble

You have to be

Five to drive