What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Firmly in the doldrums with 8.1 likely due to supper of sausages and beans (the culprit) after planning something possible on the picnic stove if we lost power! Oh well today’s another day and carry on carrying on the only option. Take care everyone.

Ashybang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Through the night been reading in low teens, though down to 9.4 this morning.

Had a dry, but blocked nose and dry mouth, even though I kept hydrated.
Gone lower to 7.4 since being up and about a couple of hours.
Going for Very low carb today and try get reading down further.
Hope you all have a smashing weekend, no matter the weather and get to see some fireworks.

Vince01

Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?
As a T2 for 3 years, and been on many forums, what's the point of readings first thing,you've been asleep for how many hours,in-between peeing, so what does it really teach us
Surely the rest of the days intake and monitoring your progress or lack of is more important than the morning prick test?.
You, hopefully, have not been munching on Haribo all night, so in my, humble opinion, and may I say I am not in anyway qualified, only through my own experience, too much emphasiste put on T2s to take " prick," readings every 2 hours, is not only unessessary but harmfull, causes too much stress and anxiety.
If you are eating something new, fair enough, test!, if you're eating a set meal plan chill out and your DNS will tell you
Still worried? Ask for a ref to a nutrionlist .
I know we're all differentend it's very confusing, what we're told we can and cannot eat, what our carb intake differs,the weight we started at and so on ,5.6 mmol is a lot lower than myself but I'm happy with that as I only have loGI porridge then nothing until late evening
So, sounds like you're OK,and for goodness don't stress.
Oh, and if you are able, excercise, walking is good but balance and muscle boulding/cardio only for 10 mins a day to start with if fine, you will soon expand on the minutes * you'll be surprised) it doesn't take long 3/4 weeks and you will feel the difference and feel "achieved in yourself
Best to you.

• Hug
Reactions: Ashybang

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 for 3 years, and been on many forums, what's the point of readings first thing,you've been asleep for how many hours,in-between peeing, so what does it really teach us
Surely the rest of the days intake and monitoring your progress or lack of is more important than the morning prick test?.
You, hopefully, have not been munching on Haribo all night, so in my, humble opinion, and may I say I am not in anyway qualified, only through my own experience, too much emphasiste put on T2s to take " prick," readings every 2 hours, is not only unessessary but harmfull, causes too much stress and anxiety.
If you are eating something new, fair enough, test!, if you're eating a set meal plan chill out and your DNS will tell you
I know we're all differentend it's very confusing, what we're told we can and cannot eat, what our carb intake differs,the weight we started at and so on ,5.6 mmol is a lot lower than myself but I'm happy with that as I only have loGI porridge then nothing until late evening
So, sounds like you're OK,and for goodness don't stress.
Oh, and if you are able, excercise, walking is good but balance and muscle boulding/cardio only for 10 mins a day to start with if fine, you will soon expand on the minutes * you'll be surprised) it doesn't take long 3/4 weeks and you will feel the difference and feel "achieved in yourself
Best to you.
This thread is one of the busiest on the forum and now runs into 3,600 pages, so clearly lots of us here find it helpful!

We are responsible for some of the things we do to our body, (the food we put into it, daily exercise, hours set aside for sleep etc.) and we all live with the consequences.

That said, horses for courses. If your horse is pulling you down a different track, and you're happy with it, then that's fine too.
Whatever you're doing, I hope it works for you.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
6.3 - I know why. Oh yeah, I’ll return to @Vince01 most stimulating post.

Really? Mine told me to eat Brown rice and bread and natural foodstuffs. All these makes me spike and for a long time too. How do I know this? Because I can tell. How do I know this? Because I do take numbers regularly. Why? Because my T2 ain’t the same as you nor others here. The results are in my signature.