What's in a name?

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
I think my own initial diagnosis of being "glucose impaired" and further information received is similar to many on the forum, ie nothing at all or come back again in 3 months and we will try again then - so off you go.
So whats in a name?
I don't think I am thick, probably better at maths and the sciences than English and being told "oh by the way you are glucose impaired" didn't seem important and had no more impact than saying - by the way you have green eyes or a big nose. I reckon if I had been told something like - this can get serious you have type 0 diabetes you can do something about it so act know, I would have been shocked into doing something about it there and then instead of just plodding along. Ignorance is bliss - so they say.
So what's in a name, an awful lot. I am sure that there are many of you out there that feel the same. There maybe some that understood the term glucose impaired, but I think called by something like type 0 would probably have an initial bigger impact and results.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you give it a name, it's because it needs one!
In the last ten years, I have been told numerous medical and dietary 'names' that I've lost count. The most important one was after diagnosis.
That was such a relief, having battled through misdiagnosis and doctors and nurses not having a clue!
Having a name gives you a focal point in gaining knowledge on how to approach the prognosis. Knowledge is vital in the healing process.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that was the thinking in calling it now prediabetes. Hoping that the diabetes bit would have impact.

I was told that I was "borderline" in 2011. At least I was told something.

I got the feeling my doctor had to tell me but didn't see the point because I was below the level he could treat with medication.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I doubt it would make a difference.