What's the point?!

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only certain thing in life is death! How you live your life is up to you, if you don't try to control your diabetes it will control you, making you ill and leaving you to spend most of your time feeling sorry for yourself or worse still in hospital! I feel for anyone who has this horrible condition, I wish I could take it from my daughter's shoulders and put it on mine, but I can't, I can only be there when she needs me trying to help when I can. Please don't give up, if you get control you can do anything, there are plenty of people with diabetes who do live their lives to the full, many do much more than people with no disabilities whatsoever. Sorry to go on, but if my daughter ever got into this frame of mind I don't think I could go on. X

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
visitorf1 said:
i have asked admin to remove my profile permantly but as yet they hanvt done so i hope they do soon, i wish i could do too very lost ...thanks.

If you don't want to be part of this forum and help people and support people, perhaps you should stop logging on to the forum and 'kicking people when they're already down' - just a thought!!!

I have felt so low at times I have actually tried to take my own life but after years of struggling I decided to take control of my diabetes. I don't let it control me. Since then I have lived and loved every day. Don't let this disease stop any diabetic from doing anything they want! You can live as normal of a life as you see fit. At the end of the day the decision is up to you as to how you want to live your life.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Laura, there is no record of a post of yours having been deleted for the last few days. Was it on this thread and when did you post it?

Just Laura

Oh, okay. It's just that when I look at page 1 of this thread, my comments and some from others have disappeared. I can still see our name, time/date of post etc but not the comments.
Probably just my phone playing up :|

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Why-me? You are not alone in feeling the way you do, it is normal, but now you have to get on with your life and deal with it.

Why you? Well why not you? You have Type 1 diabetes, so do I, so do many people on this site. Most of us have diabetes of some sort and do any of us want that? No. We are members of a club that no-one wants to join. But that is what it is and you have 2 choices; you can either control diabetes or it will control you; there is no third way.

You say that it's stopping you doing what you want to do, and I think that's a lot of ****; I've dived on the Great Barrier Reef, I've seen the dawn come up on active volcanoes in Indonesia, I've competed at elite level in rowing, I've met and worked with 2 of my all time musical heroes, I've drank A LOT of wine, I've got married and have 2 children. Diabetes hasn't stopped me doing any of that.

You are young but you are not a child; you are an adult in the eyes of the law and you need to start taking on the responsibility for looking after yourself; if you don't then diabetes will start to really control you and then it really will stop you doing things you might want to do.

Here's a couple of things to think about; you have discovered how slippery and dangerous diabetes is; it will give you the test first and the lesson later. As you've noticed you don't really have to do anything much on a day to day level, take some insulin every now and again and your life will trundle on with all being apparently well.

But that is a mirage; that is not what is really happening; your health is being damaged right now. All of your peripheral blood vessels are being slowly and possibly permanently damaged by high blood sugars. You won't notice this until your doctor starts talking about what stage kidney disease you have and how your retinopathy has progressed from background to proliferative, or how those numb toes you have are in fact not going to get their sensation back. Then you will understand the lesson of control but these things once done cannot ordinarily be undone.

There are many many posts here about how to gain control and how to refine it; you need to start working on that now as you have been today and for the last 2 years making an enemy of your future. See how many people on here wish they had controlled their diabetes better when they were in their teens; you amongst them are unique in that you still can.

You are angry, I think, with your friends for asking about your diabetes because it reminds you that they care about you and you apparently do not. In terms of being embarrassed about diabetes we all have that; but it's really not an issue for anyone but us and our loved ones - no one else gives a ****; if you tell a colleague that you have diabetes they will say 'oh my aunt had that but she ate a lot of cakes. Anyway, isn't EastEnders **** at the moment.' It's like walking down the street with sunglasses on on a grey day; you think everyone is looking at you because the glasses are so noticeable to you, in fact no one even sees you.

Test your blood sugars before you eat, go on a DAFNE course, test, work out how to calculate insulin to carbohydrates, test, think about what is happening, do more exercise, test, read books, and test.

You can control this, we all can, and if you can control it you can do anything you like. If you ignore it don't for a second kid yourself that your diabetes is ignoring you; it's not going to go away, it's not going to be cured, it will mess you up very badly if you let it. Just make the decision that you are not going to let it do that and you are half way there.

Best

Dillinger

Lastly; why not change your username? It just smacks of being a victim; you are not a victim you are a young woman with diabetes.

Just Laura

Oh, okay. It's just that when I look at page 1 of this thread, my comments and some from others have disappeared. I can still see our name, time/date of post etc but not the comments.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I can see your posts' texts on my iPad so they are definitely there. Try again later maybe. I haven't got an iPhone or similar so I can't see what you see. If you still can't see your posts I'll ask Admin about it if you can give me the details.

Anyone else got a problem?

Just Laura

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That is such an exact post Dillinger... Thats the most well written, precise posting I have ever read on this forum..

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
donnellysdogs said:
That is such an exact post Dillinger... Thats the most well written, precise posting I have ever read on this forum..

Agreed.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent post Dillenger. Full of sound advice and compassiom. We can only hope your message gets through. I worry so much when I hear of people wanting to give up. Life is so full of possibility and promise. I struggled and raged with my diabetes for a long time - my Wasted Years. It was a hard road out of it but I enjoy life so much more now that I can accept my diabetes. I still have bad days but so do people without diabetes_ it is just part of life. I came across a quote some time back that really helped me - If you are not riding the wave you are under it. I'd much rather be surfing than drowning. Being in control of your diabetes gives you power. Buckling under and giving in robs you of that power. My diabetes used to colour every aspect of my life. I felt overwhelmed by it. Since seizing control of it I cam think in straight lines again. It is one thing in my life, not everything.

pippin2345

l was diagnosed when l was 13 and felt exactly the same way, WHY ME. However l changed my view when you don't have to be like everyone else, its novel to be different. We are all individuals and better to be different. Diabetes is a condition not a disease and should be treated as such. You don't have to let it rule your live, just adapt it. Now my consultant asks me "are you really a diabetic".
Knowing what you're dealing with is the best frame of mind and what you are doing will damage you in later life or kill you.
Abuse of the body when younger could lead to many many problems 20years from now, then it will be too late to recitify. So suck it up and do the right thing and don't put obstacles where there aren't none. Making excuses is not good enough. Sort it out or book your burial plot!!!!!!

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Hey why-me.

Most here understand what you're going through , pretty sure most of us have been the same. I was diagnosed 7 years ago at the age of 21 , just when partying and staying out until midday the day after meant something , back then I hated it , it controlled me , what I did and who I became. I went from somebody who enjoyed working , had the energy of a red bull factory and loved to party. For a few years I pretty much let it rule me , until recently when I said `Sod this` and went and did something about it. I'm lucky enough to have a GP who really cares , he's been the family dr for as long as I can remember , even before I was born. My DSN has been pretty good and likes getting involved. Sure enough you have off days , but have you done anything like DAFNE or carb counting yet? I've just recently started carb counting and what a shock it is ... it's totally changed my views, my levels are back `within` reason , and I just get on with things like a normal person , I have the odd friend who goes `should you really eat that?` etc, but tell them u'l ask their advice when you need it.

Only you know your own body , nobody else , do whatever you feel is best , but please don't let it control you , it isn't worth the heart ache. :thumbup: