When do I know the honeymoon phase is over

diag29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got diagnosed Feb 2021 and off on insulin since the two weeks after I've got diagnosed.
2021 I brought my HbA1c of 10.4% in 7 months to 5.1 however everything was fine till last month December 2022 when I caught a viral infection and two weeks later covid on top antibiotics which spiked my bloodsugar. I stopped immediately taking after I got diagnosed with covid. Before Christmas eve everything was fine last week when I was supposed to get my menstrual my bloodsugar spiked to 7 to 10mmol for 4 hours up and down I was used to that my bloodsugar was higher at this time but usually it was just to 6.4 mmol just a few minutes and went back to normal . However I contacted my diabetes team from the hospital but they don't take it seriously at all. My private endocrinologist said I should start to eat more not easy for me with high readings. I took 4 days 1000mg to 2000mg chromium to bring my bloodsugar down which dropped at night till in the morning. On Monday my menstrual started I started to be more relaxed and when I woke up at 4pm to 8pm I had the same issue woke up high and dropped 3 to 4 hours later. Is it my honeymoon phase? Has someone also high readings during the period? Or is it just cold weather? I'm frustrated cos I reduced my lowcarb meal on one a day which nothing I was begging for insulin but they keep sayin it would bring me too low down. I don't feel comfortable running with high sugars

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @diag29 and welcome to the forums.

I've got diagnosed Feb 2021 and off on insulin since the two weeks after I've got diagnosed.
Do you mean you've been off insulin since then, or on and off insulin since then?

everything was fine till last month December 2022 when I caught a viral infection and two weeks later covid on top antibiotics which spiked my bloodsugar. I stopped immediately taking after I got diagnosed with covid.
I'm confused, are you saying the antibiotics spiked your blood sugar? I would expect the covid to do so, so am not sure why you stopped taking the antibiotics.

Is it my honeymoon phase?
If you haven't been taking insulin then you must still be producing some insulin of your own, even if you are on a very low carb diet. We can't diagnose here so we can't say whether your honeymoon phase is ending, though there are plenty of T1s here who can describe how their own honeymoon period progressed.

Has someone also high readings during the period? Or is it just cold weather?
Unfortunately both hormones and the weather can effect your insulin needs, as can illness, exercise, stress and a whole lot of other factors. (Some T1s joke that the colour of their socks is a factor).

I'm frustrated cos I reduced my lowcarb meal on one a day which nothing I was begging for insulin but they keep sayin it would bring me too low down. I don't feel comfortable running with high sugars

Have you told your team that you are eating very low carb to achieve these figures?

My guess is that your team will be much keener to give you insulin when you run a bit higher, as hypos caused by too much insulin are a big issue.

I'll let some T1s who've had honeymoons take the floor now. Once more, welcome.

diag29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm completely off since then. Yes they know about my diet since I've got diagnosed I'm on the low carb diet. Of course they don't recommend it. My gp wrongly misdiagnosed back in 2020 and I was told if I don't loose weight I would be pre diabetic in 6 months till I reached the dka. I can't figure how they assumed I should loose weight with 154 pounds. They don't take me seriously if I wouldn't have went to the private diabetes clinic in London I'd be on independent on insulin straight away.