When to test

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure this question has been asked loads of times, but I've done a search and couldn't seem to find anything (probably because I'm new to the forum).
Anyway, given that I am meant to test my blood only once or twice a week, when would be the best times to test? Is it better to stick to the same time each day?

At the moment I have built up a surplus of strips (because I never bothered testing at all), so am testing more often to see what effect eating a low carb diet is having, but eventually I will have to stick to what I get on my prescription.

I know that my results vary hugely through the day. Very, very high in the morning to just high in the afternoon/evening. I know very, very high is bad and I am now determined to stop being in denial about having diabetes and get it under control, but still I'd like your advice, as it strikes me that I can't compare results if they are taken at different times. So if I stick to one time of day, what time should that be?

Does any of that make sense?

R x

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Rosie

Welcome, and well done for deciding to get your diabetes under control.

It sounds like you have been lucky and got some testing equipment on prescription, that is unusual for T2s. But at this early stage testing once or twice a week is nowhere near enough and you should think about buying more strips or getting your own meter and strips (SD Codefree from Amazon is popular).

For now I would test first thing in the morning if that was the only choice, but I test about 4 times a day on average, once in the morning, once before dinner, once 2 hours after starting to eat dinner, and other times if I want to check a specific food. Others test more frequently, but the objective is to understand your body's reaction to different foods and meals so you build up a 'database' of what you can eat without spiking your BGs and what you can't.

Your GP/diabetic nurse probably won't like you testing more often than they have suggested - ignore them, it's none of their business! If you want to get your BGs under control you need to understand your body's behaviour.

Reactions: 3 people

agnostic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the testing done 2 hrs after you start to eat or 2 hrs after you finish eating ? Some might finish eating in 10/15 mins, while others might take 30/45 mins. Which is the correct testing time or are both OK ?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
After starting to eat - I only found that out after I'd been testing for a couple of weeks, but then again I eat quite quickly so no real drama!

agnostic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Rod. But, what if someone takes 45 mins to eat lunch ? Does he still test 120 mins after starting to eat & just 75 mins after he finishes eating ? The difference in results could be quite significant.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I test first thing in the morning, should that be before I've eaten?

Mushroom

I don't worry about first thing in the morning as the Dawn Phenomenon can affect the reading and doing it as soon as I wake up isn't the first thing I want to be concentrating on before I even get started. Nearly 3 years after diagnosis, I test 2 hours after a meal ONLY when I have a different food or combination and want to know effects fro future reference. That might be once every three weeks or so. Testing can seem to take over your life so once you understand the effects of a range of foods (and that is the reason for type 2s testing) ease off the testing.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, Rod. But, what if someone takes 45 mins to eat lunch ? Does he still test 120 mins after starting to eat & just 75 mins after he finishes eating ? The difference in results could be quite significant.

As I understand it, yes, for a 'standard' test. However, in some cases you might also want to test earlier and later to determine when the spike occurs. This will vary with what you've eaten - some foods convert quicker than others.

Reactions: 2 people