where do i start with insulin regime?

Mattinnes74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys, i'm 43, type 1 for 12 years, on lantus and novarapid, 220 lbs (15 stone 12 lb)

For last 12 years, i havent really taken my diabetes that seriously, ok, i tried to avoid sweet things, but I certainly didnt count carbs, I was taking a high dose of 60 units lantus in mornings, then testing myself regularly and adjusting, meaning my levels were yo-yo'ing all over the shop!!

But, after reading dr Bernsteins book, I know I need to change. So last week I jumped straight into a low carb diet. trying to keep it under 20g carbs per day - and already I am having much better blood levels (I am recording all readings, meals and injections on an app, so I can look back at what happening)> I also want to lose 2 stone.

I work nights, starting around 4pm and getting to bed at 3am next day, I have split my lantus to 30 when i rise at around midday, and 15 units at midnight to cope with dawn effect. and as i say, levels are so far pretty good, staying around 6-8 mmol in most cases.

But i am really just guessing how much lantus and novorapid i should be taking, i'm going on 1 unit of novorapid per 10g carbs plus 1 unit for every 50g protein, but I don't know if this is the correct ammount of lantus.

maybe someone could explain the fasting technique for calculating ammount of basal i need?

I have asked to be referred to my diabetes team, but that s not for a few weeks, so just wondered if anyone has any advice as to where to start.

As i say, it certainly has helped my blood sugar levels consistancy so far, but i keep thinking its more luck than judgment, also , what should I do if my levels are say, 7mmol, but i want to take the dog for a good long walk, (other than keep plenty of dextrose tabs on me ) ;) ;)

thanks in advance, Matt

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Matt,

Well done for starting to get things under control! There is a book called "Think like a Pancreas" that I think you'd find helpful.

Reactions: noblehead