Whey Protein and Post-grandial bello sugar levels

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Over the last 5-days, I've been experimenting with drinking 50mg of whey protein 30-minutes before each meal. I have not been exercising ( for at least 2-weeks because of my back and I've put on 6lbs )

I'm following the Israel / Swedish study of using Whey Protein to control blood sugar spikes in type II diabetics who have decent control - http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...e-levels-associated-with-type-2-diabetes.aspx -

I did some more research and it seems that going back to the early 2000 there have been multiple test concluding that whey protein can increase insulin secretion of the beta cells and thus drop post-grandial blood glucose spikes

the following is one conclusion:

In type 2 diabetes, the ingestion of a fast-absorbable protein results in a greater post-prandial aminoacidemia and a higher beta-cell secretion than the ingestion of a 'slow' protein. Whether these changes can be maintained chronically in combination with hypoglycemic therapy, possibly also resulting in better glycemic control, remains to be established.

In the last 5-days I've used exactly 3-units of 75/25 and following my strict LCHF diet ( my high fat diet is moderate and like Scandichic wrote to me high fat diet means "not being afraid to use fat" ). What is more puzzling is that if I don't eat anything like carbs my BG levels continue to drop into the low 80s through out the day.

My BG has been excellent and surprising only once over 106 one hour post meal. It is amazing since I've not been exercising.

My question, I am obviously stimulating my beta cells to produce insulin, am I in danger of burning out what little primary response beta cells I have left or have gotten better?

Honestly, I am surprised by the whole thing as I've long ago given up on 'cures'

hornplayer

Hiya,

Interesting. I don't really understand your figures. - I'm sure they're great, but I think I use different ones.
Anyway. My brother has got me using whey protein and doing some weight lifting (and I do mean weight lifting, not weight training!!). I'm going to do some experimentation of my own.

- Good luck to you!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question, I am obviously stimulating my beta cells to produce insulin, am I in danger of burning out what little primary response beta cells I have left or have gotten better?
That would be my fear also and I don't think there is a definitive answer yet, so I'd be inclined to play it safe.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
That would be my fear also and I don't think there is a definitive answer yet, so I'd be inclined to play it safe.

I agree but it is hard emotionally to stop especially since I can reduce my insulin or eliminate it.

Plus I kind of make an ice cream with it mixing in cream coca nibs coconut shavings and assorted nuts.

If I do especially at night I got to reduce my nightly insulin