Which Finger?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can perhaps understand not using thumbs and index fingers as these are the ones we probably use the most for precision handling of things, so could cause the most hassle if we ever did do any damage to the nerves.

I've never understood about using the sides and not the pads, as it's the sides that hurt me the most...:( Being left handed I nearly always use my right hand fingers for pricking and certainly my little finger is the most prolific blood wise...and possibly the one I use least of all for everything else.

Robbity
6 years is probably too late to reply, but I am another one who finds the sides hurt more. My left hand fingertips are possibly a little callused from years of mandolin and banjo, so that might be why, but I tend to go for the tip, slightly off centre, with the first choice digit being the ring finger.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
**** those cynical and rude care providers! :mad:
Nothing like trying to scare the living **** out of a person eh - what happened to bedside manner :rolleyes:

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution shows side of fingers (around the tip but not on the pad) but also top side of fingers between first and 2nd knuckle - I never managed to get the top side of fingers to work but might work for you. He also shows little finger and thumb ... tried the little finger but it hurt more than others so did not do that again :(

Any time I have been to hospital they insist on doing the middle of the pad and that hurts :(

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use all fingers and thumbs to get samples, I start with the thumb and work through the fingers. I then go to the next hand and rinse and repeat. I find this gives the fingers / thumbs time to recover.

Last time I was in hospital, I got the nurses to use my Fastclix lancing device instead of the thingy they used.