Which Foods Affect Blood Sugar

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
A complete condescending [********] (sorry Benedict remove at will.)

A

Anonymous

Rafim said:
I do not know what planet you guys come from - everone is talking carbs carbs carbs - NO ONE is talking Glicemic Index. If you have never heard of it, I forgive you. I do not forgive your caregivers for not telling you about it. I am not going to tell you about it now - Go (immediately) to Uncle Google and find out what the rest of the world is doing. And change your lives. The glicemic index will tell you what to eat and will save your life. Our late neighbor was forever injecting herself, writing down the findings, not willing to find out about the GI, and then she lost her big toe, then the next one and went on after a long suffering. IF the GI is so bad, I would love to know, I am surviving well on it (type 2 Hb1 5.9).

I suggest you "go immediately to Uncle Google" to read the research on eating low carb. Perhaps your late neighbour was eating all the wrong food, and had out of control blood sugars.

This forum has helped me beyond measure on finding a way to eat for health. In less than 2 weeks my readings are the same as a non diabetic, and I do NOT injecting insulin.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't use insulin. I don't need to, but the advice to insulin users to eat carbs[ my husband is T1] merely feeds the insulin in the humungous doses that are prescribed in this country. Bernstein says somewhere thawt no-one should need more than 7 units of insulin per meal. However, I meet people using over 100 units per day regularly. I've even met somone using U500 in a pump. [U500 is high dose insulin. 500 units per mm3 . Normal insulin is U100. When my husband was diagnosed the usual insulins were U80 and U40, which I think are still used in some countries on the continent.
Insulin, which is merely being fed by carbs, is busy storing fat, which is its primary function. I have watched a few diabetics who have been put on insulin, just getting heavier and heavier. As this happens, they lose the ability to walk and to care for themselves. As mobilityreduces, they get fatter still and the spiral begins.
I know a lot of people see insulin as the easy way to control blood glucose. Just increae the dose and eat whatever carbs you want.
I don't see it that way.
Hana

Grazer

Rafim said:
I do not know what planet you guys come from - everone is talking carbs carbs carbs - NO ONE is talking Glicemic Index. If you have never heard of it, I forgive you. I do not forgive your caregivers for not telling you about it. I am not going to tell you about it now - Go (immediately) to Uncle Google and find out what the rest of the world is doing. And change your lives. The glicemic index will tell you what to eat and will save your life. Our late neighbor was forever injecting herself, writing down the findings, not willing to find out about the GI, and then she lost her big toe, then the next one and went on after a long suffering. IF the GI is so bad, I would love to know, I am surviving well on it (type 2 Hb1 5.9).

Do you really think we don't know about GI? I can't believe your post. We all understand GI, but it's only a tiny part of the issue. You might want to read around this forum a bit more before you start judging its level of knowledge on diabetes issues, which is probably considerably higher than yours.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are several people on this forum who have successfully long term used the glycemic index as a tool in their batterie .
Diabetes lasts a long time and all of us need to find a way that is sustainable over the years.
I am one of those who use the GI. As a T1 I use insulin. The GI is one of my tools (along with exercise, regular meals and a balanced diet)
I have not had an HbA1c above 5.8mmo/l in 7 years and normally take between 3.4 and 6units of insulin for a meal. I continue to be of normal weight.

As to what foods affect my BS. I would say all meals. I dose for carbs but there are some carbs that will raise BG levels faster and higher (higher GI) I also think that very large meals need more insulin and meals without carbs tend to require far more than expected. An English breakfast takes more insulin for me than does my normal porridge and berries. It's a combination of a larger meal + eggs which raise my glucose levels.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
phoenix said:
There are several people on this forum who have successfully long term used the glycemic index as a tool in their batterie .
Diabetes lasts a long time and all of us need to find a way that is sustainable over the years.
I am one of those who use the GI. As a T1 I use insulin. The GI is one of my tools (along with exercise, regular meals and a balanced diet)
I have not had an HbA1c above 5.8mmo/l in 7 years and normally take between 3.4 and 6units of insulin for a meal. I continue to be of normal weight.

As to what foods affect my BS. I would say all meals. I dose for carbs but there are some carbs that will raise BG levels faster and higher (higher GI) I also think that very large meals need more insulin and meals without carbs tend to require far more than expected. An English breakfast takes more insulin for me than does my normal porridge and berries. It's a combination of a larger meal + eggs which raise my glucose levels.

As a T1 you have the option of adopting a GI diet and any other diet for that matter. GI maybe a good choice for T1's but the inference made by the poster was that diabetics only need GI as in the statement "Our late neighbor was forever injecting herself" for all we know the neighbour was T1 and had to inject herself to keep herself alive. For T1's saying only GI and no insulin is patently wrong and dangerous and for T2's I and I suspect a lot of T2's see carbs as more important than GI, GI is just a useful subset of a carb regime but carbs drive it for a T2 especially for those who do not want or want to minimise meds and have normal range blood sugars.

Grazer

Phoenix, I also use GI as a tool, and no-one is doubting its useful. What upset people was the arrogant nature of the post and the (wrong) assumption that no-one knew about it.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Dear forum folk...chill. 8)

The poster is obviously nowt but a wind up merchant. If he felt so strongly about the matter it is odd that he has only posted three times since he joined last year.

Maybe his opening sentence escaped the eyes of the mods, seems that it warranted a slap on the wrist..but never mind, let us focus our attentions elsewhere. Unless of course the OP would like to discuss the GI issues in an appropriate manner?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi ladybird, yes it crossed my mind that he was just trolling and was about to push the spammer button but then couldn't make up my mind as why on earth you would troll about GI? His first two posts while mentioning GI weren't anything like so obnoxious. In any event I thought he was a total p***t and decided to tell him such.

But take your point, no need for us to all get huffy with each other as otherwise he wins.

Now chilled as instructed 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some people are easily wound-up :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Some people are easily wound-up :lol:

Guilty as charged so watch it!