Which fruit for Low Carb diet

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the last few years I have restricted myself to only eating Strawberries and Raspberries, but I am interested to see what other people eat on a LCHF diet for Type 2 diabetes management. I think I might expand my selection of fruits to eat.

I have seen a few YouTube videos recently which have some useful information such as ... Best Fruit for Diabetes

This video is useful as each fruit is tested against the actual blood sugar spike it created and includes fibre and GI information. It brackets fruits into 3 groups: Green for Good, Amber for Eat in Moderation and Red for Avoid. The suggested fruits in the Green section are: Strawberries, Avocados, Plums, Raspberries, Sour Cherries, Blackberries, Grapefruit, Apricot and Guava.

There is also some useful information about fruits on the dietdoctor site ... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fruits

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can manage a small green sharp apple as part of a meal, usually chopped in Waldorf salad or with some cheese. Never tested it on its own though as I don’t really eat fruits on their own. Though Rhubarb is technically a vegetable not a fruit it’s very low carb and I eat that when I can get the nice tender stuff. Great with fresh cream and amazing braised with lamb or made into a sauce for smoked mackerel, you definitely need sweetener of some sort though

Reactions: Art Of Flowers

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the last few years I have restricted myself to only eating Strawberries and Raspberries, but I am interested to see what other people eat on a LCHF diet for Type 2 diabetes management. I think I might expand my selection of fruits to eat.

I have seen a few YouTube videos recently which have some useful information such as ... Best Fruit for Diabetes

This video is useful as each fruit is tested against the actual blood sugar spike it created and includes fibre and GI information. It brackets fruits into 3 groups: Green for Good, Amber for Eat in Moderation and Red for Avoid. The suggested fruits in the Green section are: Strawberries, Avocados, Plums, Raspberries, Sour Cherries, Blackberries, Grapefruit, Apricot and Guava.

There is also some useful information about fruits on the dietdoctor site ... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fruits
Apricot.... I had it a month ago, first time in well over 7 years. I thought I was going to cry, haha. It was so good! It was about half of one, and I do have to add it was probably one from a tin with syrup, and it was tucked into a very nice salad with tuna and whatnot. Naturally I'd not brought my blood sugar meter, but it was the only carby thing in the meal, and sure enough.... In about 10 to 20 minutes my heart was beating out of my chest, I felt a bit panicky and I got the sweats. Luckily I was in a massive zoo and I was carrying my heaviest camera gear, and I got to walk it off within half an hour, uphill. But it spiked me, and it spiked me hard. So... I tend to stick with different kinds of berries (Blue, black, rasp, straw etc) , avocado's fine too, as are tomatoes (in moderation and not the extra sweet kind), but I wouldn't touch a plum either, nor a cherry. (Though the Dutch ones tend to be very sweet, I can hardly imagine a sour one?). On top of that, Dutch strawberries are naturally sweeter -the clay in our soil, I think- than the British ones I've had. (Those were huge, but rock hard and just watery, in comparison).

Bottom line... It comes down to testing. What works for you, what doesn't, could also depend on where something's grown, how it's kept, it all makes a difference. On top of the tests being done on someone who isn't you in the vid, without your particulars when it comes to insulin sensitivity/resistance and general metabolism... Find out what is true and Green for Good, for you. I knew full well I shouldn't have the apricot, but I regret nothing! ;) I mean, once in going on 8 years... I deserved it. ;) So if you're bored, have nothing better to do, and have time and nice weather to walk something off if need be, why not experiment? And keep in mind, if you have something fatty to go with it, it could well reduce the spike, making a 'no' a 'yes'-fruit... Thankfully most fruits go very well with full fat, clotted/unsweetened cream. ;)

Good luck!
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I experimented with plums once (which are in the 'green section'), so I have actual data on what plums do to my BG.
For me, they're off the menu, unless I need to nudge my BG up a bit to prevent a hypo, and happen to have a plum on hand. Half a plum would nicely do the trick for me.

Here are my results: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/plums.198458/post-2633405

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries very occasionally. I think the last time I had any was a month or so ago.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plums and sour cherries, grapefruit and apricot definitely spike my sugar too much. Never tested guava.
I too stick to raspberries blackberries and occasionally strawberry

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I stick mostly to raspberries and strawberries. Blueberries spike me. Tried for a couple months with red grapefruit, but also seem too spiking, shame as I love the taste with sprinkling of salt. May try this summer small servings of watermelon - high sugar but also fibre plus very high water content - lets see.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I just eat Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries (home grown - so less ripe), avocado, small quantity of Tomato and Rhubarb (which isn't really a fruit).

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what everyone says about testing and differences between individuals because, drum roll, apricots don't spike me. Granted I'll aim for a small not too ripe apricot and I only ever have it as a dessert to my lunch but in season I have one almost every work day as part of my packed lunch. My bg numbers are almost almost lower in the middle of the day and my 2hr post eating numbers are generally the same or lower than the pre eating numbers.
I understand a small apricot to have about 3 carbs and I allocate 5 or 6 carbs for lunch.
The only other fruit I eat is a very small quantity of berries with yogurt or keto porridge.
You can but try
Good luck

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
1 g (ish) of carbs per cherry. Same (is) as blueberries. depends on your carb counter.

so, it's about portion control... if u want to keep carb intake low

Reactions: jpscloud

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want an apple, then here's a chart of their relative sweetness (less is more). I normally stick to Granny Smiths or Braeburns.

apples.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP and AloeSvea

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can handle raspberries, blackberries and black currants plus, every once in a while,, a small portion of strawberries, but I avoid blueberries due to their high fructose content. That raises my blood gluclose unduly.