Which oils and fats do you use and why ?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm assuming here, that most people posting in this forum are eating low carb and eating comparatively high amounts of fat.

Having eaten LCHF properly since 2010 and having dabbled before that, I must admit that LCHF is my standard way of eating and as such, eating fat isn't terribly exciting, anymore.

We use Extra Virgin olive oil and/or butter for general shallow frying, that or avocado oil for salad dressings, coconut oil for stir fries, ghee for curry and dripping or lard for breakfasts. We have also used duck and goose fat occasionally. Whenever possible I buy organic and we don't re-use oil or fat.

Since giving up milk, I have started losing weight again. I do eat quite a bit of creme fraiche, double cream, sour cream and clotted cream. I'm thinking that I might lose that last bit i.e. one trouser size smaller, if I cut down on dairy. But obvs I still need to eat the fat.

But what ? I figure if I ask other posters how y'all Eat the Fat, I might find new ways of incorporating it or even new fat sources I hadn't considered. I might also learn more about fats.

Any info on fats and oils welcome, thanks in advance.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mainly unsaturated.

First press olive oil mostly, a block of butter can last months.

Fish oil, again mostly tends to be olive oil though if it's tinned, although tinned cod liver in its own oil is good with a salad.
A lot of oily fresh fish.
Probably can't complete on the cream, as the only dairy I consume is skimmed milk, I don't like cream.
Cheese is ok though in many varieties.
Olives.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We get through a ridiculous amount of extra virgin olive oil because my husband uses it for everything including frying. I also use unsalted butter and small amounts of coconut oil. I eat oily fish 2-3 times a week and an avocado with my lunchtime salads most days.

I can't bring myself to drink coffee with any kind of fat in although I did enjoy a Costa decaff with pouring cream in last weekend.

I think if I ever want to increase my fat intake I'd eat another avocado as a snack. I love them drizzled with lime juice and a couple of drops of hot pepper sauce, possibly even a little olive oil.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am boring...tons of butter, a little bit of coconut oil & some herb infused olive oil.
whenever i add nuts, cream, cheese or avocados, i tend to go overboard and gain weight which is NOT good as i still have a ton to lose...

Reactions: 8 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm assuming here, that most people posting in this forum are eating low carb and eating comparatively high amounts of fat.

Why would you assume that? I would assume that most people here are eating some sort of reduced carb diet but only a few will be eating extra fat.

The truth is that when you reduce the carbs in your diet you automatically increase the ratio of fat in your diet even when not eating any extra as you are eating fewer carbs.

It is my belief that the main reason that peoples weight loss stalls on a lchf diet is because they eat extra fat when they dont need to. The only reason for adding extra fat as far as I can see is if you are eating a sub 30g a day diet which I seriously doubt most members here are.

On a reduced carb diet certainly down to 60g a day which is what I was eating when I lost 4 stone I dont see any reason to add extra fat to a diet and I didnt and my weight loss never stalled and even after I upped the carbs again to around 100g plus I still managed to lose another stone and I have never added extra fat, I just cut the carbs..

Reactions: 9 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Olive oil for shallow frying ,butter for spreads and all the usual cream,full fat greek yoghurt ,full fat creme fraiche.I use the creme fraiche as a base for most of my sauces ..ie I add mint or cheese or spices .With cauliflower rice or zuchinni pasta it makes an awesome meal .I'm going to monitor weight loss and adjust my fats accordingly but I'm fasting 2 days a week .
Although I'll naturally be using slightly more fat since I won't be using any of the "low calorie" rubbish.I for one am still not trying to "up" my fat @Celeriac :)

Reactions: 3 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight loss appears to have slowed/stalled recently and it appears to have coincided with extra fats appearing in my diet, most noticeably cream in various guises.

Probably time to experiment with removing some of the dairy fats.

Reactions: 8 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My weight loss appears to have slowed/stalled recently and it appears to have coincided with extra fats appearing in my diet, most noticeably cream in various guises.

Probably time to experiment with removing some of the dairy fats.

Try an experiment british pub .Fast for 12/18/24 hrs(still fine to drink no carb ,no sugar drinks) and see if that helps :) A lot of people have had great results kicking their body in to losing more weight

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This being the Low Carb Forum on the website, I figured that people posting here would be doing some variant of LCHF, Atkins, Paleo or Primal.

If you are reducing carbs but not upping fat, that may work for awhile as you lose weight. What happens when the body decides it has reached optimal weight, which fuel will it use then, if not it's own excess fat ?

If you aren't eating fat to compensate for the lack of carbs, it's likely that weight loss is because of a calorie deficit. The brain could start thinking that this is starvation, and rebound after the weight loss just like with any other calorie-controlled diet. (Escape the Diet Trap by Dr John Briffa is an excellent book on this).

Conversely, nuts are high in fat but also really high in protein. Excess protein can be laid down as fat.

My guess is, that our body is adapted to utilise whichever handy fuel source is easiest and whichever uses the least energy to make. If it uses the glucose in a high carb diet, it will probably use he fat in a high fat diet. Maybe both of these are easier for the body than converting body fat.

As long as I'm not obese, I'm happy with stable weight. Recently, I quit whole milk because compared to cream or creme fraiche it seemed thin. I just wasn't enjoying it, even though it was organic whole pasteurized but unhomogenised milk straight from a farm. To compensate for the loss of milk, I upped other forms of dairy, which are lower on the Insulin Index.

Instead of putting on weight I lost it. In fact, because I don't weigh myself, to find that my new trousers became baggy two weeks after buying them, was quite disconcerting.

I seriously doubt that members are eating very low carb also. I eat around 25-30g carb a day, usually only from veg and dairy.

Professor Tom Noakes believes that to prevent diabetes deteriorating, it necessitates eating 25g carbs per less or day. Dr Eric Westman MD keeps obese patients at his clinic on 20g carbs per day, for as long as necessary.

The point of this thread however, was to discover which fats and oils other members use. I haven't eaten much tinned oily fish, which is something I can do and my husband is the nut fiend, so again I could try those.

So thanks for the ideas !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream, cheese, butter, olive oil, both EVO and not, coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut yog, oily fish a couple of times a week, krill oil as a supplement, Vit D in oil capsules (used to know the carrier oil, but have forgotten), avocado occasionally, but not often enough, rapeseed oil in mayo and hummus if bought, olive oil if homemade. Fat on meat. I used to trim it off. Nowadays I select the fattier ones. Sometimes I still end up removing some. Fat on steak is a highlight.

I still feel I should be eating more omega 3s, and have been intending (for ages) to add in extra chia, flax and oily fish, but have been consistently failing to do so. Baking with chia and flax would be a way to do this, but is the extra heat treatment useful?

Am going through a non-innovative and rather lazy food patch at the moment. It might be the change in the season.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat all the usual dairy foods, 3 or 4 of the small tins of salmon a week (105g I think), lots of eggs, I fry in either butter or rapeseed oil (for the high omega 3 content and because I do not like olive oil one bit) probably far too much mayo on my salads, flax, and I only buy lean meat and still cut off all the fat as I have never liked it, apart from the back bacon I buy.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oils- Avocado (huge fan), coconut, and butter. That is about it. I ran out of EVO, but I think I prefer avocado oil, so I haven't replaced it.

Fats- (above)- plus nuts, chia, cream cheese, HWC, mascarpone, avocados , mayo, olives, kippers

Why? Because I like them. :) To me, it doesn't matter how healthy it is, because if I don't care for it, I won't eat it.

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love Chia puddings as well. Made with unsweetened almond milk they keep in the fridge for about four days so are very handy to have available when you are pushed for time. My favourite at the moment is mocha which I make with a good decaff coffee, raw cocoa powder and sweetener. I really could eat it every day.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fave is lemon chia pud. I've posted the recipe a few times, so a search should find it... Basically it is just lemon juice, water, chia, sweetener and served with cream.

Reactions: 6 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My fave is lemon chia pud. I've posted the recipe a few times, so a search should find it... Basically it is just lemon juice, water, chia, sweetener and served with cream.
I've GOT to try that!! I love anything with lemon.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fats from meats, fish, eggs, butter, cheeses, full fat creams, Greek yoghurt, nuts, flax seed, sesame flour, olives and (usually extra virgin) olive oils, avocados, various different nuts & nut butters, walnut oil, coconut oil & butter. I give my dogs (human grade) omega 3 capsules, and recently decided to share with them too. And whatever cooking oil my husband buys (I think generally sunflower) and chooses to sometimes cook with... I try to use a wide a variety as possible to cover all eventualities. And I enjoy most of them - though often the fact that they are or contain fats or oils is incidental, but I still can't manage to eat all of the fat off my meat. :eek:

Robbity

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure whether it's a positive or negative, but I find really sweet and really salty food horrible now. My husband does too, so I presume it's connected to eating organic rather than to diabetes.

We love lemons and limes (lime butter sauce hmmm), coconut anything and my new thing is unsweetened cocoa made with hazelnut milk. I'm a bit dubious about using sweeteners, haven't had any since 2012, guess I need to try chia pudding without it.

I came across a blog, doing a Google search just now which suggests ground chia seeds as a thickener. Now that would make life easier, if it works.

I forget to add tahini to my own list, which is basically sesame seed butter and a key ingredient of hummus/houmous. Robbity where would I be likely to find sesame flour please ? That might be an interesting ingredient, depending on carbs.

Another one I forgot was peanut butter. We tried quite a few, even buying them from American and Australian food importers, but our all time favourite is Meridian organic crunchy peanut butter. No added anything. I like to add a tsp to a dressing, or melt it into a stir fry sauce.

Haven't tried other nut butters yet. Almond is out because husband hates them. Brazil nut butter would be a big hit if it exists, ditto cashew and walnut.

I'm so glad that I started this thread. Thanks everyone xxx