Who’s to blame ?

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I’m seeing a sense of irony? Once apon a time they where “balance” options.. (in the care free days.)
However. Metabolism was left out of the equation for some of us.

I also appreciate the “diabetes in a” motif.. it was (infamously) put on a coffee house receipt? from a derogatory employee. Reclaim “it.”

I get your comment..
Thank you I’ve seen so many bad things in my life as a Lifeguard & Firefighter, I came close to losing my life at a fire and have like many others seen things that no one should see. I have like many others lost so many friends and loved ones way too early so if I can bring a smile to anyone’s face I’m happy. I was reading lots of posts earlier and was nearly reduced to tears because of the fear and anxieties that some have on this site because everything they read is so very dark. I can’t help the way I feel or deal with my health issue and I do give it the respect that I should but if I look back on the things I’ve done like running towards a fire while others are running away I’d have told myself “I can’t do this I could die” but I dealt with it in the same way I do everything, give it respect but don’t be frightened by it. I’m sure there are some that will read this that will scoff or be annoyed but all I ask is that if you don’t like my way or my humour just move onto the next post. Through this forum I’ve been in contact with some amazing people and lots have made me laugh a lot but there is also great sadness & fear with others

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you read the content of the whole thread or just picked up on this little bit ?
Hi @Spirit01 , yes, I've followed the thread.
From what I've read, you're dealing with diabetes doing all the right things in a balanced way, suited to your own personal situation, and I think that's wonderful, especially considering all the other things you've had to deal with.

I only reacted to you saying: "I was watching TV this morning and they were showing how Kendal cake is made. Oh my days, that stuff has to be diabetes in a bar if you eat it regularly."
It isn't clear to me if this is what you were thinking when you watched, or if this is something that was said on the program.

If you were quoting someone on the show, my apologies for misunderstanding! If you were expressing your own thoughts, I still don't understand.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching TV this morning and they were showing how Kendal cake is made.
<snip>

Kendal mint cake is one of the most utterly disgusting things I've ever eaten, on a par with the 'cream of asparagus soup' made from a powder I was served in hospital quite a few years ago.

Reactions: Spirit01

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kendal mint cake is one of the most utterly disgusting things I've ever eaten, on a par with the 'cream of asparagus soup' made from a powder I was served in hospital quite a few years ago.
Agreed. Apparently, it's used by climbers who need energy at high altitudes because the high sugar content means it's easily absorbed by the body, and flavoured with mint as the higher they climb the sense of taste becomes dulled. Whatever, I only tried it once and that was quite enough.

Now, if we're talking Grasmere gingerbread...

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Agreed. Apparently, it's used by climbers who need energy at high altitudes because the high sugar content means it's easily absorbed by the body, and flavoured with mint as the higher they climb the sense of taste becomes dulled. Whatever, I only tried it once and that was quite enough.

I’ve never tasted it but watching them make it I was absolutely shocked by the sugar & glucose content. Definitely not for me that’s for sure My mum often talks about Lardy cake & that’s another thing I haven’t tried

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never tasted it but watching them make it I was absolutely shocked by the sugar & glucose content. Definitely not for me that’s for sure My mum often talks about Lardy cake & that’s another thing I haven’t tried
It's my love of that gingerbread and all sorts of "bready" treats - currant buns, Chelsea buns, crumpets, muffins, etc - that's probably landed me here.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
It's my love of that gingerbread and all sorts of "bready" treats - currant buns, Chelsea buns, crumpets, muffins, etc - that's probably landed me here.
I’m not sure where mine’s come from as I’m not a cake or biscuit person but 1 biscuit means a packet so we don’t have them in the house but anything pastry wise such as pasties or certainly bread I adore. I’m still not prepared to give everything up but they are rare treats. Full English is delicious but I have either a slice of fried bread or toast. In my mind I’m doing good because I have this about once a month & only have 1 slice which I really savour. 1 large buttered crumpet smothered in Kerrygold butter is dreamy but I may only have one about 3-4 times a year. Oh dear, I could go on and on

• Funny
Reactions: Dancing Badger

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I’ve seen so many bad things in my life as a Lifeguard & Firefighter, I came close to losing my life at a fire and have like many others seen things that no one should see. I have like many others lost so many friends and loved ones way too early so if I can bring a smile to anyone’s face I’m happy. I was reading lots of posts earlier and was nearly reduced to tears because of the fear and anxieties that some have on this site because everything they read is so very dark. I can’t help the way I feel or deal with my health issue and I do give it the respect that I should but if I look back on the things I’ve done like running towards a fire while others are running away I’d have told myself “I can’t do this I could die” but I dealt with it in the same way I do everything, give it respect but don’t be frightened by it. I’m sure there are some that will read this that will scoff or be annoyed but all I ask is that if you don’t like my way or my humour just move onto the next post. Through this forum I’ve been in contact with some amazing people and lots have made me laugh a lot but there is also great sadness & fear with others
At the end of the day you’ve reached out on this topic.

After your dedication & commitment to the fire service, I understand there are different “fires” to put out. :)

By the way… “Lardy cake?” My mum would get that stuff in before I was diagnosed as a kid. From memory a sticky stodgy bread with fruit in, dusted in sugar.
I still see it about with another name, in the glass cake counter at the cafeterias in places like garden centres?

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
At the end of the day you’ve reached out on this topic.

After your dedication & commitment to the fire service, I understand there are different “fires” to put out. :)

By the way… “Lardy cake?” My mum would get that stuff in before I was diagnosed as a kid. From memory a sticky stodgy bread with fruit in, dusted in sugar.
I still see it about with another name, in the glass cake counter at the cafeterias in places like garden centres?
Not one I’ll try then

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
:hilarious: I would loosely “predict” a fast spike with a possible shallow dip followed by a rise to a plateau lasting a couple of hours? (Before tailing off?) :watching:
Think I’ll stick with my Hedingham pasties

Reactions: Jaylee

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's their marketing puff, it was taken on Hunt's Everest expedition, and indeed a few climbers probably still take it. But there are a lot of alternatives around these days. Buttered malt loaf is rather good... So is buttered Yorkshire parkin. Both are great with cheese, a young soft crumbly type.

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's their marketing puff, it was taken on Hunt's Everest expedition, and indeed a few climbers probably still take it. But there are a lot of alternatives around these days. Buttered malt loaf is rather good... So is buttered Yorkshire parkin. Both are great with cheese, a young soft crumbly type.
Stoppit! I love food like that, especially parkin.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Lardy cake? I assume it gets its name from being made with lard. But then I saw a veggie version once.
TBH I’ve got no idea, my mum is from Hampshire & apparently it was a Hampshire thing but I’ve no real idea. As I said, I’m more of a savoury man. I live on the Essex/Suffolk border not far from Castle Hedingham and a lady there makes the most amazing pasties. They are called Hedingham pasties with a sub title of “a taste of Cornwall”. I swear I could eat them every day if they were good for me.

Reactions: In Response

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
TBH I’ve got no idea, my mum is from Hampshire & apparently it was a Hampshire thing but I’ve no real idea. As I said, I’m more of a savoury man. I live on the Essex/Suffolk border not far from Castle Hedingham and a lady there makes the most amazing pasties. They are called Hedingham pasties with a sub title of “a taste of Cornwall”. I swear I could eat them every day if they were good for me.
One food I used to love and that was golden syrup drizzled into Yorkshire puddings just as they came out of the oven. The most amazing dessert but looking back now …… oops

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A day in the hills is a good day to have something like parkin. Or cake of any sort!
This sounds like my mum…

When I was a kid, I was loaded up with all sorts of stuff before I left the house. (I already had hypo treatment.)
Made no difference if I was out in the countryside or just down the local shop..

She has Alzheimer’s now. I picked her up from the day care centre. (Or “club” to my mum.)
As I told her I was “here to break her out.” She grabbed a sandwich & wrapped it in tissue then insisted I pocket it….

It’s funny what people retain. She’s no idea about my diabetes & when she spots & asks about my Libre. It’s a “security tag from the baby shop I was stollen from…”

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
This sounds like my mum…

When I was a kid, I was loaded up with all sorts of stuff before I left the house. (I already had hypo treatment.)
Made no difference if I was out in the countryside or just down the local shop..

She has Alzheimer’s now. I picked her up from the day care centre. (Or “club” to my mum.)
As I told her I was “here to break her out.” She grabbed a sandwich & wrapped it in tissue then insisted I pocket it….

It’s funny what people retain. She’s no idea about my diabetes & when she spots & asks about my Libre. It’s a “security tag from the baby shop I was stollen from…”
Oh bless you, thank you for sharing that, I hope I don’t offend but that made me laugh out loud. My mum is now the opposite to when we were kids because she now watches daytime TV & reads magazines so she’a food expert. Mind you, it changes almost daily depending on what she’s read or watched bless her and as she’s a cross between Mrs Brown and Nan (Catherine Tate) I just tend to go with the flow.