Who is troubled by injecting in public? Just me?

PI3.14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So glad to hear that you experience no issues. :) I think you are perhaps right in suggesting that your experience is a combined generational/technological effect in the switch from syringes to pens. A syringe, even by today's standards, seems so... medieval. I think many children and young teens, however, still experience public diabetes management as a social issue

You make a good point there @doyoutakesugar. I suppose age is on my side a bit too in that it's been nearly 40 years that I've been doing this so I've got used to the idea. I do remember though that I was lucky in that I had very supportive friends who just treated me like everyone else. If that is something your research can help teens to understand the power of their true friends you will help them enormously. BTW I've completed the survey too

steve9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

A doctor once told me that injecting would gradually become "like shaving", somehow normalised by routine. While I can decide whether to let loose and grow a wild beard—the same cannot be said for diabetes. And also, who shaves in public?

I've never had anyone stare, yet I find the act of injecting in public alienating, sometimes anxiety-inducing, and often impractical, regardless of the 10 seconds the act requires. Injecting doesn't stop me from living life, but I have noticed this recurrent trend.

As I feel alone in this act that others (non-diabetics) do not have to perform, and as such have not been able to speak openly and discuss this issue, I am now doing a small behavioural study linked to my postgraduate research at university. I am extremely interested in how people who require insulin injections feel about doing so in public. I'd like to get something concrete on this matter.

I have put together a small survey that really only takes two mins to complete. There are two versions of the survey. You can complete both if they apply.

The first is for people with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/qgyDLjl2BzjXeYyV2

The second is for a parent/guardian or partner of a person with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/32IKoZ9Pmo027tz32

I would be eternally grateful to you if you help me out! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the results too. But also, feel free to share your thoughts in the thread!

I've done your questionnaire - good luck!!

I used to hide away in the toilet to inject, partly feeling self-conscious. But now I do it as a matter of course. Yes it still bothers me having to inject but I've got no option. I've never had any comments. I think it is something which grows with time and confidence.

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You make a good point there @doyoutakesugar. I suppose age is on my side a bit too in that it's been nearly 40 years that I've been doing this so I've got used to the idea. I do remember though that I was lucky in that I had very supportive friends who just treated me like everyone else. If that is something your research can help teens to understand the power of their true friends you will help them enormously. BTW I've completed the survey too

I think you're on the money with this. The responses yielded so far are extremely illuminating and, I think, would be of interest to us all. Young people really do need high levels of good support beyond the hospital's walls. I'll work on it. Thanks for completing the survey, much appreciated!

Reactions: PI3.14 and gristy

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've done your questionnaire - good luck!!

I used to hide away in the toilet to inject, partly feeling self-conscious. But now I do it as a matter of course. Yes it still bothers me having to inject but I've got no option. I've never had any comments. I think it is something which grows with time and confidence.

Thanks for completing the questionnaire . No option = for the betterment of your health. Keep it up!

Poohsl

Hi, I've completed your questionnaire and would be interested in seeing the results. I became diabetic back in the 1970s, when syringes were glass and metal, stored in surgical spirit between uses. Nowadays, the ease of carrying a pen around and lifting a skirt when necessary makes everything so much easier! I am conscious that people around me might not be comfortable with me "taking a shot" so do aim for some sort of discretion eg below the table into my leg or similar. Good luck!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've completed your questionnaire and would be interested in seeing the results. I became diabetic back in the 1970s, when syringes were glass and metal, stored in surgical spirit between uses. Nowadays, the ease of carrying a pen around and lifting a skirt when necessary makes everything so much easier! I am conscious that people around me might not be comfortable with me "taking a shot" so do aim for some sort of discretion eg below the table into my leg or similar. Good luck!

Thanks for completing! My diabetes nurse (who has type 1 diabetes) has told me of the dark side.... glass and metal syringes. She also mentioned that BS levels were measured using a urine sample, chemical agents, and a corresponding colour chart to grade the level. Did this go out before the 1970s, or were blood monitors coming in by that time?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did this go out before the 1970s, or were blood monitors coming in by that time?

The Clinitest Kit was still around in the early 80's, I used one before getting my first bg meter around 85:

upload_2017-4-26_17-21-20.jpeg

sweettiger_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Filled it in for you!
I would definitely be interested in seeing the results.

@sweettiger_ When I was first diagnosed at 16, 5 years ago, I hated injecting at public - I would hide in toilets or not inject at all rather than do it. I feel now I am more resigned to it - if other people don't like it, then maybe they should try walking a day in our shoes, it isn't as if we are doing it for fun!

I feel the longer you have it, the more natural injecting becomes to you, and the less you think about it. Then suddenly you realise that most people are too busy with whatever else they are doing to actually notice you injecting, particularly if you are say sat a table and you use your legs or stomach.

Thank you for the kind response. It is definitely reassuring. I can see how time might help, but I think I find it most difficult around people I don't necessarily know well. I still sometimes skip injecting if I am at a formal event and can't manage to find a private corner somewhere...

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I filled in your questionnaire and I don't get any problems with injecting outside as I have done it in view of people before and most are inquisitive and just want to know and I tell them and they are okay with it and other people are just bad manered and I tell them where to go and I tell them if they try anything I have a dirty needle and they just leave and go away and I am done with eating out and with testing and my insulin and I can leave and pay and tell the company that I have had some problems with other people and they will take a look at the cctv and check and let me know what happens later on when they are not doing anything or no further action is required

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@sweettiger_ if I might make a suggestion that I believe somebody else has made, but I now can't find, maybe try introducing it slowly, in front of people you know well, and build up to it. I was ten times more likely to skip injecting at school as anywhere else.

You could also look at it as a positive opportunity, if anybody comments, to educate them a little bit. Ooh I do love an opportunity to get on my soapbox *evil smile*

iHs

The Clinitest Kit was still around in the early 80's, I used one before getting my first bg meter around 85:

View attachment 22772

I used Clinitest in the mid 60's but by the time 1969 had come, I was using Clinistix at school and thought how great
They were. I carried on with Clinistix until 1976 and switched to the awful BM strips which had that dreadful finger pricker.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

AaronH83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Survey completed. I have no problems injecting anywhere. I don't see why something I need to survive should be stigmatized. I've injected in fancy restaurants and greasy spoons alike.

Tron-Ir3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,
I done the first questionnaire but before I signed up to the site..
Yes I feel totally ashamed sometimes injecting in public so I try to inject in the toilets instead, despite being a diabetic for almost 32yrs. Seems soo long but yes still feel bad, guess it was in the start when I tried I over heard someone say something that went my god junkies everywhere and now we have f#@!ing Asian ones. Made me hate myself even more, took me about 7yrs to forgive myself for being a type 1 diabetic :(

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Completed your questionare, people don't know we are diabetic and we can often get misjudged. I hate the whole thing it feels like people think you get your stuff out for sympathy or as a boast.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone it is a cruel disease and as a type 1 I have no chance of beating it just managing it. Until diabetes developed in me I never really understood it. It can seem very lonely sometimes and I mean just the disease.