Why aren't Carbs on the front of food packages?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you forget your specs again? Lol!

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
Oh aye! I found some lovely looking fishcakes in one of the large supermarkets and turned it over to have a look at the carb content! Only it ws inside the top cover!! Tried shaking the fishcakes around to see the dietary figures but no luck!!! X

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Oh aye! I found some lovely looking fishcakes in one of the large supermarkets and turned it over to have a look at the carb content! Only it ws inside the top cover!! Tried shaking the fishcakes around to see the dietary figures but no luck!!! X
That is just wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

Susan1000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are so many people being diagnosed type 2 you would think food producers and supermarkets would get savvy with the labelling it takes twice as long to shop there ought to be choice for diabetics low carb and low sugar sections

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The govts of this world will never admit they were wrong with their advice about low fat (high carbs), cos that leads to lawsuits... I think they will gently change their thoughts over the next 50 years....but till then the human race is stuffed...

Loving life

Reactions: 3 people

mpe

I was told that they have to recommend a low fat, high carb approach with complex carbs at each meal - especially breakfast. She also said that they were not allowed to comment on new research etc until NICE had approved it.

Presumably they can't mention research which is "too old" either.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
100 to 1 in favouf of herez !!

Loving life

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I think that highlighting the sugar content on the front is, in a way, diminishing the importance of carbs. How many newbies come on this forum every day saying that they have cut out sugar so why do they still have high bg/feel like ****? It is carbs that should be highlighted on packaging. Just my tuppence worth.

(I lost my specs on a trip,to Sainsburys on Hogmanay. The staff couldn't have cared less. My son eventually found them under a car. Don't like taking them out shopping now :( Not the shops fault obviously, but it freaked me out enough that I now leave them at home when shopping)
I noticed this the other day ... when I started the high fat low carbs stuff.
They just cannot be open and honest can they.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Talking food shopping ....
Can't buy any meat in ASDA ... it looks like it came out of a factory.
Can't afford it at Tesco when much nicer looking and longer aged meat is available t Morrisons cheaper.
I try to do local and farmers most of the time but it aint always possible.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

There are so many people being diagnosed type 2 you would think food producers and supermarkets would get savvy with the labelling it takes twice as long to shop there ought to be choice for diabetics low carb and low sugar sections

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Sorry, I have to disagree with that last bit. They already have low carb sections in supermarkets for diabetics....the veg aisle, the meat aisle, dairy, fish, nut aisles etc

Wanting a special section of low carb/sugar products for diabetics would be playing straight into the hands of the big food companies. The same guys who scam everyone with their low fat myths.

Reactions: 6 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, I have just read the posts regarding the nutritional information on food packages. they seem to concentrate on the fats, sugars, salt, etc. as they are considered the main ones to be associated with weight problems, wich are very serious throught the country. Thy did not consider the need for carbs, the main carb they consider important is Sugar, too much makes you fat, then too much fatty food, makes you fat, too much salt is bad for your blood pressure, and if you have bad levels of all three, you are obese, and medicaly at that, and then all the medical conditions that are associated with it.
I agree the information that is given, should be clearer on the packets, so that the magnifing glasses need not be so strong, maybe less drivel on the backs of packs , will give more space for clearer nutritional information, but let us not forget these this are done by people who do not sturggle with medical copnditions and, likely don't do their own shopping, or cooking, so they are not too bothered.
The manufacturers need to get the message, that diabetics what vital information on the packs that it is easier to read and easier to work out any vital calorie units.
So maybe all the members of this forum, should commence emailing and writing to the food manufacturers to put the matter straight, and start giving the right information in a standard form, of 100g on packs, and say if small packs of 150g, in total, then just eat half at a time.
Diabetics need correct information, so that they can eat well in their plan to be in control of their condition (s), that would really rock the boat, diabetics shouting out, Your not doing it right, this way is better.
The NHS is price govened, and they are surposed to have their menus created with the approval of dieticians???,
The diabetic option is surposed to be suitable in nutrients and carbohydrates, or is it?. Mainly it is mashed spuds, and bread, not that appetising. What do all members think?? ttfn

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I have to disagree with that last bit. They already have low carb sections in supermarkets for diabetics....the veg aisle, the meat aisle, dairy, fish, nut aisles etc

Wanting a special section of low carb/sugar products for diabetics would be playing straight into the hands of the big food companies. The same guys who scam everyone with their low fat myths.
Good points

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was caught out on the labelling . they really do need to put the carb content on front of packaging, sugar content is not enough. I wondered why my glucose went up. Carbs 71.1g. Obviously the medical profession and nice wants people to remain ill.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I might have posted this already but not sure.
Ryvita ... over 70% carbs!!!!!