Why can’t diabetics be treated the same when having medical procedures

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’ve recently had a minor operation on my hand but the difference between the pre op assessment and the actual surgery was like chalk & cheese.
The Pre op assessment was horrible and when questioned about my diabetes and which one I had, when I staid I was type 2, the nurse looked at me and said I see your on insulin, couldn’t you control your diabetes by diet? I could have cried there and then but just said no. She implied that I stuffed my face every day when I don’t, and I left feeling very down about myself. I was made to feel like a second class citizen and a drain on the NHS.
The Day surgery unit couldn’t have been any nicer, they never asked what type of diabetes I had, they only asked if it was controlled by diet, tablets or insulin. They also found me a plain Greek yogurt to have after the surgery when everyone else was having biscuits or sandwiches.
Why can’t they just accept that the person has diabetes, whatever type and just treat us all the same.
Sorry for my rant!

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Knowing whether type 1 or type 2 may affect some issues for example type 1 more vulnerable to dka. Unfortunately you will encounter people with limited knowledge that think they understand the condition and how everyone should be able to manage the condition :(

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My understanding is that above normal bgs can damage insulin production, so long term insulin using T2s can be vulnerable to DKA just like T1s.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I'd be tempted to complain about that nurse because (in my opinion) their attitude is unacceptable. Diet is a great way to control T2 for some people, but not for all, and no one should be blamed for needing medication. I would expect a nurse to be more educated than that and would hope that a complaint might mean they get the education they clearly need.

They need to know if you are taking insulin (don't want you to go hypo during the op) but blaming someone for needing medication is simply wrong.

I hope your operation went well and your hand will be better soon.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
So I’ve recently had a minor operation on my hand but the difference between the pre op assessment and the actual surgery was like chalk & cheese.
The Pre op assessment was horrible and when questioned about my diabetes and which one I had, when I staid I was type 2, the nurse looked at me and said I see your on insulin, couldn’t you control your diabetes by diet? I could have cried there and then but just said no. She implied that I stuffed my face every day when I don’t, and I left feeling very down about myself. I was made to feel like a second class citizen and a drain on the NHS.
The Day surgery unit couldn’t have been any nicer, they never asked what type of diabetes I had, they only asked if it was controlled by diet, tablets or insulin. They also found me a plain Greek yogurt to have after the surgery when everyone else was having biscuits or sandwiches.
Why can’t they just accept that the person has diabetes, whatever type and just treat us all the same.
Sorry for my rant!
By the sound of it her attitude way overshadowed her professionalism. Whilst I can understand the dangers of high blood sugars and surgery, how a person controls it is neither here or there. There is no need to make a person that's already vulnerable, feel worse. I would raise the matter and you are not a drain on the NHS. Staff that have attitudes are. I once had a GP poke me in the tummy and tell me I should "lose that", her bmi I am sure was a lot more than mine, there's no room for it in my opinion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way before diagnosis I was seen by the nurse in the morning and had to go back to see the GP in the afternoon. Both weighed me, and the doctor was going on about the huge lunch I had eaten in order to be so much heavier.
I had drunk several glasses of water, but eaten nothing at all, but he wasn't going to believe me.
I think they see it as part of their right to assert their dominance.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Way before diagnosis I was seen by the nurse in the morning and had to go back to see the GP in the afternoon. Both weighed me, and the doctor was going on about the huge lunch I had eaten in order to be so much heavier.
I had drunk several glasses of water, but eaten nothing at all, but he wasn't going to believe me.
I think they see it as part of their right to assert their dominance.
There is just no room for it at all in my opinion. Its the assumptions that get me.

Reactions: Michellenz

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's like Type 2 Diabetics are treated as less important than Type 1 Diabetics. After all, didn't we Type 2's bring it on our selves by stuffing our faces with cakes and sweeties all day?? It's all so unfair Diabetes is a terrible diagnosis to live with, regardless of the Type. They should try walking in our shoes and not be judgemental!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's like Type 2 Diabetics are treated as less important than Type 1 Diabetics. After all, didn't we Type 2's bring it on our selves by stuffing our faces with cakes and sweeties all day?? It's all so unfair Diabetes is a terrible diagnosis to live with, regardless of the Type. They should try walking in our shoes and not be judgemental!
There is a lot of ignorance about diabetes fuelled by the media.
When I explained to a security person at Heathrow Airport that I could not go through the body scanner due to my insulin pump, she told me I had chosen to have diabetes

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
put in a complaint to PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) She should not be allowed to treat patients like this :(

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Sorry for my rant!
No rant, there but for the grace of God eh! At least you got a Greek yogurt. All I got was Muller one with loads of sugar..

cbooth5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that you had that experience really poor of the nurse to communicate like that. I get they have to ask what type and treatment you have for surgery etc. but I would be tempted also to put in some type of complaint for feedback of their service (agree with EllieM).

KeSeg48559

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear about your bad experience Fiona, it must have been awful especially if you were already nervous about your surgery. Not fair at all to be judgemental when she was supposed to be there to help!