Why can’t I manage my condition?

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pancreatitis brought on by high triglycerides
So put on a low fat diet as saturated fat was identified as the cause.
Also the diet was high in carbs. I questioned this. I was told even as a diabetic I will still need carbs so 50% of my diet was fruit bread and potato which made me very sleepy sick.
So now my trigs went down and my sugars went up. Oh and my insulin is causing me to feel hungry every min of the day.
What the heck am I supposed to do ?
I’m very very depressed I just want to close my eyes and sleep for eternity.
I was told I can’t have an appetite suppressant as it would damage my pancreas!
Anyone with any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pancreatitis brought on by high triglycerides
So put on a low fat diet as saturated fat was identified as the cause.
Also the diet was high in carbs. I questioned this. I was told even as a diabetic I will still need carbs so 50% of my diet was fruit bread and potato which made me very sleepy sick.
So now my trigs went down and my sugars went up. Oh and my insulin is causing me to feel hungry every min of the day.
What the heck am I supposed to do ?
I’m very very depressed I just want to close my eyes and sleep for eternity.
I was told I can’t have an appetite suppressant as it would damage my pancreas!
Anyone with any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
I think, that I would approach this dietary problem, the same as most of us has with their own issues.
I would get myself a glucometer, start experimenting and keep a record of how you are doing with the food and drink you are eating.
You could lower carbs, increase protein, he able to have a low amount of fats, and find a balance ed diet that suits your conditions.

That is how I approached my intolerance to many carbs.
If you get it right, the symptoms will recede and your health will improve.
Best wishes.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm not saying that high Triglycerides can't be caused by saturated fat, but my experience is just the reverse.
When I was prediabetic I had been on a low fast (high complex carbohydrate) way of eating for nearly 10 yrs during which time both my triglycerides and my weight increased.
After being diagnosed with (full) Type 2 diabetes and taken advice from members of this forum (and Drs David Unwin, Dr Jason Fung etc.) I switched to a Low Carb higher (saturated) Fat way of eating which caused my T2D remission and at the same time almost halved my Triglycerides.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I wonder if saturated fat is once again the fall guy.
I've copied this from here https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/understanding-triglycerides

Your liver also converts carbohydrates into triglycerides. When you eat extra calories — especially from carbohydrate-rich foods such as sweets and white bread — your liver churns out extra triglycerides. Other things that can raise blood levels of triglycerides include being overweight or obese, smoking, or heavy drinking. Certain medical conditions —including diseases affecting the liver, kidneys, or thyroid, and poorly controlled type 2 diabetes — can also lead to high triglycerides.

it seems to me that carbohydrates and the resulting high blood sugar could also be considered guilty of raising your triglycerides. Maybe the Butter is getting the blame for something the bread did.