Why can't I just do my jabs???

I'm new to this site, I';m 23 and have had IDDM since I was 21 months old.

I really need some help with the control of my diabetes, I have this stupid mental barrier that I fight with to do my jabs and test my blood. it seems all too much to explain on here, but I really am desperate, my last hBA1c was 14.9, but thats nothing out of the ordinary for me, I will go days with my glucometer reading HI (Over 33.3) with high ketones but still for some bizare reason won't take a jab till I can hardly move. I want to feel better and to just take my insuling as part of daily routine but I know what I'm like and though I will go through stages of "Being Good" I cannot see it lasting.

I've considered trying hypnotherapy to see if there is an underlying reason but am scared it's going to bring up things I've tried to bury for good reasons.

I also have an underactive thyroid, ANA, Diabetic Retinopathy, I've had leg ulcers too, Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum, Granuloma Anularae, Psoriatic Arthritus and suffer from depression.

Although it seems from this post I am a moany person I am in fact a very happy, go-lucky person that loves my life, I'm a landlady of a pub I have an amazing supportive fiance and want to plan for a family over the next couple of years but this is imperitive for my health and my life to get this sorted. The hospital cannot offer me any help and I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

If anyone has any suggestions of anysort please PM me.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
wow, sounds like you're in a very serious situation here.

You really really really really REALLY need to talk to your careteam about this.

Have you considered an insulin pump? I know from talking to my caretem about the pump that one category of people they consider seriously are those people that don't get on with injection or have a fear of needles.

With a pump you'll basically have 1 jab every 3 days to insert the canula vs. 15-20injections over 3 days.

The hospital not being able to help is pure lies! esp. if your hospital has a diabetes clinic.

lostsoul

Hi desparate for help

The problem is not your Diabetes. This is just a symptom of underlying problems associated with the control of it. it is your unwillingness to embrace your past, and to deal with your ghosts you must confront them head on. Put off getting married (or are you?) and having any children for now. Your fiance' is not the person you need to confide in. Ultimately, only you will know how best to cope if you are ever on your own. Is your relationship with him based on trust or dependancy? How do you get on with your parents? Am I touching a sore nerve?

Hynotherapy or regression is a last resort to uncover blocked memories of a traumatic event(s) within one's life. Mental blockage can cause people to stay stuck in one mode, whilst the wheels of time keep turning. You mentioned good reasons for not wanting to dredge up the past, but what if the past wants you to bring those things to the fore so you can move on to be happy and live a long and fruitful life? Do you have the same recurring dreams? Make an appointment to speak to a Psychologist. Go private if you have to, in fact I would recommend it. I have gone to see privaste doctors to save my life. Before you can start dealing with accepting what you are, you need to open the doors to your past. Childhood Diabetes is very traumatic and damaging to one's psyche and morale, but not everyone understands the concepts or aspects of what is involved in looking after a child with a deadly disease. Many of my friends have died from this DISEASE but, some too young. Forget the Medical doctors and the diabetic clinics for the moment. deal with your emotional background so you can deal with your diabetes in a positive manner. We all get depressed, we have a right to, but we also have to allow ourselves to move on.

Good luck. I had diabetes symptoms from age 5 or 7, now 38 years later, I still hate it and always will, but we all have to bear our crosses, but with help.

Good luck. I hope things work out.

Lost soul

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've considered trying hypnotherapy to see if there is an underlying reason but am scared it's going to bring up things I've tried to bury for good reasons.

Perhaps, as the previous poster suggests youmight find it helpful to undergo some form of long term therapy but please if you do so make sure that you are dealing with a qualified, experienced therapist.
On the other hand there are other forms of psychological help that are not so intrusive. Cognitive behavioural therapy (which is I believe available on the National Health service but I don't know how readilly) uses a combination of behavioral therapy ( a bit like the chart you mentioned , in the other other post) target setting and cognitive therapy which seeks to change entranched attitudes, beliefs etc. Althoug its a 'talking' therapy, its a very straightforward, pratical one and deals with the present not the past.