Why use Diabox (or other apps) with Libre 2

ChrisInChip

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Asking on behalf of my wife as her techie!
Currently, as a long term T1, she uses the Libre app on an iPhone 12 with Libre 2 sensor to provide CGM.

Diabox and other apps are frequently mentioned in this forum but why when the Libre app/Libre 2 sensor combo now provides CGM?

I can have a stab at a couple of features:
- Connectivity to a watch
- Widget for showing BG on the Lock Screen

Am I right? Anything else?

Since my wife hates tech it would have to be super easy to use and have a marked advantage over the Libre app. It needs to work in tandem with Libre’s posting of results to the cloud for sharing with medics.

I would really appreciate any views on whether we’re missing a trick by solely relying on the Libre app.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve got an iPhone X & a libre 2
I use shuggah as well as the libre app
I find shuggah more accurate & have my bg readings sent to the Lock Screen of my phone & to my fenix 6s pro watch every 5 minutes, don’t even need to pick up my phone, it’s easy to iinstall & a free app

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other thing I would add, which is important to me, is the ability to calibrate Libre readings with finger prick.
Libre is "factory calibrated" but I always found the fictitious "factory man" had different relationship between interstitial fluid and blood than I did so my Libre readings would be out unless I calibrated.
This also gave me peace of mind and allowed me to trust Libre more.

A minor benefit is that using the unofficial apps a Libre sensor lasts 14 days and 12 hours. Whilst I rarely used the full additional 12 hours, it gave me more leeway on change time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabox and other apps are frequently mentioned in this forum but why when the Libre app/Libre 2 sensor combo now provides CGM?

I can have a stab at a couple of features:
- Connectivity to a watch
- Widget for showing BG on the Lock Screen
Many of those posts were written before the Libre2 provided cuntinuous BG results, and I can imagine many people who already used DiaBox have gotten used to it so they kept on using it.
There are also a couple of foreigners like myself around. No continuous readings with Libre2 in the Netherlands.

I especially like the widget while driving: If I use maps in a split screen I can keep an eye on my BG without touching my phone. I even use maps in the gym now to prevent my phone screen from going black so I can see what's happening while working out. :hilarious:

The main reason for me to start using DiaBox was the calibration function, for me, Libre always reads lower than blood by about 1-2 mmol/l, resulting in it telling me I'm hypo a lot of the time.
I also like the alarms in DiaBox. You can set 4 different alarms, two for high and two for low. I find it very useful to get an initial alert when I'm still in range but possibly higher than expected, and a second one when I go out of range. Same for low.
The alarms will keep repeating every couple of minutes until you tell it to shut up for anywhere between 15 minutes to many hours, so no missed alarms.

To get all data on LibreLink I have to scan at least once every 8 hours, but I suppose this is different with the UK continuous app.

(Pic of the widget used with maps.)
1699795784677.png

Reactions: ChrisInChip
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all info shared.

Im reviewing options for my father, who's using the reader and having regular hypos and struggling to manage with libre link 2 sensors

❓️can sensors that are registered with a reader also be setup with diabox app, to get alarms and even real-time readings?*

*seems this isn't currently an option with librelink

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
❓️can sensors that are registered with a reader also be setup with diabox app, to get alarms and even real-time readings?*
Yes, you can use the reader alongside DiaBox and the DiaBox alarms will work just fine.
The LibreLink alarms do not work when a sensor is started with the reader.

Reactions: ConcernedRelative
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks
Do you know if the (android) phone and app will remain synced if within range of a few metres with NFC and Bluetooth, or do you have to bump the sensor to update readings and "flash" scan?

If it does remain synced do you know how often it polls, and if that's configurable?

Also are there any lock screen metrics?! That'd be very nice, maybe even realtime notification available on lock screen. (I found a reddit on this but seems inconclusive
https://www.reddit.com/r/diabetes/comments/10eeql4 ...and I couldn't see anything in app settings on droid1 (V12)

Website says available on play store but search returned 0 for diabox

Thanks again, this could be a life-saver/changer

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know if the (android) phone and app will remain synced if within range of a few metres with NFC and Bluetooth, or do you have to bump the sensor to update readings and "flash" scan?

If it does remain synced do you know how often it polls, and if that's configurable?
No need to hold the phone to the sensor for DiaBox to keep reading, but if you want to keep the official LibreLink or reader data you'll have to scan at least every 8 hours.

DiaBox scans every minute depending on chosen settings, and it will keep up easily within a couple of metres. Getting it to start catching a new sensor can be a bit fiddly though, the system is not perfect.
Also are there any lock screen metrics?! That'd be very nice, maybe even realtime notification available on lock screen.
Yup!
It has a widget, my lock screen looks like this and updates every minute!

1711927912125.png

• Useful
Reactions: EllieM

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The reason is that you get your results constantly as on the Libre app you only get your results when you go to the app and when you connect it with the Libre Link Up app you also get your results from Libre Link app but that will only display your results when you login to see what your results are so that is why others are always looking to see what their results are always like I do with when I use sweet dreams and that way I get my results consistently and they go straight to my phone and watch