Why when newbies arrive with very high BS 20+ and go onto a Very Low Carb Diet

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 18stone when I started on 19 feb. First weigh in at boots on 24 feb was 17stone. BMI 42. Next weigh in was 28 feb, 16 stone 10lb BMI 41.6
Still an enormous journey ahead of me but off to a cracking start. I joined slimming world last year and lost only half a pound in a week , no wonder really when I see now that I was eating the exact opposite to what I should!!

Well done Muggle

Reactions: 2 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 18stone when I started on 19 feb. First weigh in at boots on 24 feb was 17stone. BMI 42. Next weigh in was 28 feb, 16 stone 10lb BMI 41.6
Still an enormous journey ahead of me but off to a cracking start. I joined slimming world last year and lost only half a pound in a week , no wonder really when I see now that I was eating the exact opposite to what I should!!

Hi@muggle71

Congratulations, I think you should take a bow and receive from us a big virtual bouquet!

(Please don't worry if the weight loss slows down a bit, I think I read somewhere that is normal)

D

Reactions: 3 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there any correlation between T1s and T2s and the rate at which BS comes down? Are T1s generally used to carb counting before they embark on a low-carb diet, and therefore know the ropes from the start?
As a T2 I sometimes feel I'm missing something that everyone else takes for granted. In fact I obviously am, since I can't remember when I last had bread, rice, pasta or a spud and I long ago gave up sweets, puddings, cakes and biscuits, but my HbA1c is drifting downwards rather than plunging. It's fine by me but should I be calculating those carbs properly?
Er, I'm having a lot of home-made curry later guys, so an rnsr would be appreciated ;)

Hi DejayR,
My point that I have wanted answering is if someone follows the Low Carb diet with the High Fat i.e 'Carb Counting' and saying they are, yet their figures appear to move only slowly downwards is there a scientific/medical reason or are some thinking they are doing Low Carb High Fat, but really just tinkering around the edges.

I think you answer for yourself, where you say the drifting downwards is fine for you.

I have never as such Carb Counted, but I have restricted the carbs in each meal by reading the labels, I suspect to about 15 to 20 to exception when I drink beer :D. The highest 1 food item is a slice of bread for me at 13carbs & funnily enough 'Home Made Currys' do raise my sugars.
Thank you.

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, first BMI should have read 42.3

You have done so well, from all these post if we all follow the instructions and don't kid ourselves then it works and very quickly.
Cheers and may it continue for you, it get easier and you feel a whole lot better.

Neil:)

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi@muggle71

Congratulations, I think you should take a bow and receive from us a big virtual bouquet!

(Please don't worry if the weight loss slows down a bit, I think I read somewhere that is normal)

D
Thank you daffodils. Ive tried every diet going in the past and ive failed each one because of 2 things. Hunger and sweet cravings. Ive no idea what it is about this eating plan but im not constantly hungry and my cravings have all but died off, and if I do have one, a sickly sweet coffee with cream knocks it clean out. Ive never stuck at anything like this before. I must have either had a blow to the head or im actually taking control of food instead of food controlling me...

Reactions: 9 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DejayR,
My point that I have wanted answering is if someone follows the Low Carb diet with the High Fat i.e 'Carb Counting' and saying they are, yet their figures appear to move only slowly downwards is there a scientific/medical reason or are some thinking they are doing Low Carb High Fat, but really just tinkering around the edges.

I think you answer for yourself, where you say the drifting downwards is fine for you.

I have never as such Carb Counted, but I have restricted the carbs in each meal by reading the labels, I suspect to about 15 to 20 to exception when I drink beer :D. The highest 1 food item is a slice of bread for me at 13carbs & funnily enough 'Home Made Currys' do raise my sugars.
Thank you.

Neil

Scientists would like to put us all into cages, feed us the same food and stick pins in us all.
Then write a long report, with the conclusion being we are all different. Lol

Reactions: 4 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I am making so many veg curry you would not believe.
I have cut out all bread, spuds, root veg and crisps.
That must be a step in the right direction. If it wasn't winter I would be out waliking more.
As long as I'm going in the right direction thats got to be good.
We haven't all got the time or wish to weigh every morals we eat. Also not everyone can afford to test 8 to 10 times per day.
Yes I need to work on mt portion size. But I am not fooling myself.
Could you teach me to make a curry? Im quite hopeless when it comes to exotic dishes like curry. Never know where to start!

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done so well, from all these post if we all follow the instructions and don't kid ourselves then it works and very quickly.
Cheers and may it continue for you, it get easier and you feel a whole lot better.

Neil:)
Thanks Neil, never in my life have I been so candid about my weight. Ive always been too ashamed. Im determined it will continue, the consequences if it doesn't terrify me!

Reactions: 5 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi DejayR,

I've been disappointed in the slowness of my BG going down. But I have several other chronic inflammatory and auto-immune illnesses and am on lots of meds, all of which raise BG levels, there are scientific reasons for all that but I'm no scientist ;)
I have been strict with my diet, under 50g carbs a day barring one or two unexpectedly high carb meals (my mistake, not cheating) and in the first week or two trying porridge, bread, pasta etc before I knew how badly I reacted to them. But I've never eaten anything again that had shown high BG levels.

I've lost a few pounds since starting low carbing towards the end of january, but I had been losing weight slowly over the previous year so wasn't really execting the big weight loss. Don't know why I was losing then though, I wasn't dieting at all!

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, no-one has yet come forward with any scientific evidence, and it seems we are so far all in agreement. In the absence of other medical conditions, do low carb properly and it will work. Sugar levels will come right down and quickly. Play about with it and fool yourself, and they won't.

Hi Bluetit, I've always known LCHF works, as it worked for me, well not until I got here and was trained up by some of the most inspiring and supportive forum members, to whom I'm very grateful.

It is the speed in which it works that I needed clarifying, which this has done.

I think I have learnt a lot today thanks to all those who have or are contributing.

Thanks Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, no-one has yet come forward with any scientific evidence, and it seems we are so far all in agreement. In the absence of other medical conditions, do low carb properly and it will work. Sugar levels will come right down and quickly. Play about with it and fool yourself, and they won't.
It's like a car. If you put the right fuel & oil in it runs fine but put the wrong stuff in & things to wrong.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am low carbing too, mostly around 30 to 40 a day and haven't lost an ounce and I still have every endo, GP and dietician I have ever seen scratching their heads!!!! The only plus point is that most of my readings are now 5s and 6s. No, neither have I gone silly with fat, my cal count is between 1200 and 1600 a day and I am of similar proportions to Muggle. Go figure!!

Ali

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
H
Could you teach me to make a curry? Im quite hopeless when it comes to exotic dishes like curry. Never know where to start!
Hi Muggle,
Buy a jar of Pataks Curry Paste, they do many, Vindaloo, Quick Curry Paste in all heats,Madras, Jalfreza, you need an Indian shop although Tesco's do some but not the range. then follow the instructions on the jar. I don't but I have done it for years and add a lot of the extra's.
Please note it's always best cooked and then eaten the next day.
Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Neil, never in my life have I been so candid about my weight. Ive always been too ashamed. Im determined it will continue, the consequences if it doesn't terrify me!

No need to have been ashamed, but I'm sure you will do it now Muggle71

Your results now, show you can do it.

You may plateau, like i have for over 4 weeks, but I know where I am and it's just starting again. I'm actually enjoyinmg all my food

Neil

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take on it is that often when folks arrive here, they've just been diagnosed and when they start "low carbing", they are lower carbing for them, but not really low carbing. How many people say they couldn't give up x, y or z, then spend time testing every permutation before eventually giving in.

Secondly, for those who don't keep accurate records, they could be unlikely to pick up on some of the sneaky carbs we all encounter from time to time, and also some foods, like leafy veg, do have carbs, and if eaten in enough quantity (to fill up, for example), it'll all add up.

And finally, some people's systems will hang on very hard to the higher levels by liver dumps, false hypos (people sometimes treat), and even the odd meandering off the wagon.

This thing is hard. There's a lot to get our heads around, and some people's personal circumstances make it hard to make a hard switch immediately and stick with it. Those who have resistant partners or families have a particularly hard time, in my view.

There are many ways to skin this cat. What matters is folks get there in the end.

Reactions: 7 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am low carbing too, mostly around 30 to 40 a day and haven't lost an ounce and I still have every endo, GP and dietician I have ever seen scratching their heads!!!! The only plus point is that most of my readings are now 5s and 6s. No, neither have I gone silly with fat, my cal count is between 1200 and 1600 a day and I am of similar proportions to Muggle. Go figure!!

Ali
Hi Ali,
I havn't got an answer for you, only to say I have looked at your profile and see you are a Type 2 but Insulin controlled. The theory so I understand is, if you are down to 30/40 carbs a day you should be in Ketosis which is when your body uses Ketones for energy i.e. your body will convert the fat in your body to ketones. I'm not sure of the science but I would imagine if you are Insulin controlled does that not allow you to eat carbs in moderation? if you have reduced carbs do they match the insulin.
Are you exercising at all?
Neil

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To all curry lovers, eaters, and enthusiasts (like me)... Spices DO contain carbs... And they do count... Ok... Small amounts... But they all add up... However of course eating a veg curry or a meat curry with couliflower rather than lovely rice and nan is the best way for us to enjoy it, but it will still have carbs we need to take into consideration... Just a thought...

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My take on it is that often when folks arrive here, they've just been diagnosed and when they start "low carbing", they are lower carbing for them, but not really low carbing. How many people say they couldn't give up x, y or z, then spend time testing every permutation before eventually giving in.

Secondly, for those who don't keep accurate records, they could be unlikely to pick up on some of the sneaky carbs we all encounter from time to time, and also some foods, like leafy veg, do have carbs, and if eaten in enough quantity (to fill up, for example), it'll all add up.

And finally, some people's systems will hang on very hard to the higher levels by liver dumps, false hypos (people sometimes treat), and even the odd meandering off the wagon.

This thing is hard. There's a lot to get our heads around, and some people's personal circumstances make it hard to make a hard switch immediately and stick with it. Those who have resistant partners or families have a particularly hard time, in my view.

There are many ways to skin this cat. What matters is folks get there in the end.

Thank you Andbreathe I don't think I could have summed it up better, :) except for 'skinning the cat' with all the Avitars proclaiming cats here, I'm not sure that would be a good move :eek:

I'm so pleased with this result, it has helped me understand the why's & the wherefores.

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been disappointed in the slowness of my BG going down. But I have several other chronic inflammatory and auto-immune illnesses and am on lots of meds, all of which raise BG levels, there are scientific reasons for all that but I'm no scientist ;)
I have been strict with my diet, under 50g carbs a day barring one or two unexpectedly high carb meals (my mistake, not cheating) and in the first week or two trying porridge, bread, pasta etc before I knew how badly I reacted to them. But I've never eaten anything again that had shown high BG levels.

I've lost a few pounds since starting low carbing towards the end of january, but I had been losing weight slowly over the previous year so wasn't really execting the big weight loss. Don't know why I was losing then though, I wasn't dieting at all!
Hi Rowan, and thank you very much for contributing.
What can I say, they are always exceptions to most rules, and as you say you know the reasons why your BS moves slowly downwards and is held up by your meds even though you are definitely Low Carbing.

It is pleasing to see your weight is still reducing, which will obviously contribute to lowering your blood sugars levels in the longer term.

Hope it continue to improve.

Thanks once again :)
Neil