Willl I lose weight this way?

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

So I have been T1D since March 2014 and since then the weight has been creeping up (199lbs on diagnosis and 250lbs now).

Prior to this week I incorporated carbs into my diet in the form of things like sweet potato, wholegrain rice, wholegrain pasta etc (so lower GI carbs). My blood levels were mostly fine however my insulin ratio on some occasions is 1u:1g - 1u-2g, therefore I was injecting alot of insulin for a balanced meal.

Since last Saturday I have started to watch my carbs alot closer and am low carbing at around 20-30g a day. I feel alot better and my blood sugars have been alot better at around 5-6mmol as opposed to the 7-9mmol I was usually getting. However, I am still needing to inject around 30-40 bolus Novarapid units per day (on top of my 46 units of Lantus per night).

I have been eating LCHF and watching that my calorie intake doesn't exceed around 1700ish and am also doing regular exercise. But I have also been reading that high fat diets can increase insulin resistance, which I already struggle with. Therefore I am wondering if the high fat content and still needing large doses of insulin will then lead to further weight gain? I would like to see the number on the scales go down, however I would also like my body shape to change with the exercise I am doing.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated :).

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the lower carb content should reduce your mealtime insulin considerably and so in theory that should offset any insulin resistance that may or may not increase due to the higher fat intake....

im a full on carb lover though so no personal experience........

i think the LCHF is definitely worth a shot though to get the weight and blood sugar levels down....

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I assume you aren't having too much fat? All you need to go with the low carb is enough protein and fat to keep you feeling full. It may take a while for the weight and insulin resistance to go down. I would keep at it and hope that the weight and hence insulin need will go down.

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having around 100g fat and 120g protein per day which does leave me full.

Here is a typical day

B - 2 eggs, 2 bacon (all dry fried) with half an avo. I have to bolus for eggs as I know many people do.
L - Either a chicken salad or something with lean beef mince
Afternoon S - Couple of babybels
D - Chicken or beef with some veggies or cheese. occasionally have some coleslaw (as low carb as possible)
Evening S - I have been having a small bag of pork scratchings to curb any crisp craving.

I have lost 7lbs since last Saturday however I think that my weight was elevated on Saturday after the Christmas period where I had indulged alot more than usual (still keeping blood sugars at a good level however :) )

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One of the things you can do to help with fat loss and insulin sensitivity is resistance training. I found that it makes a huge difference.

Reactions: 2 people