Work And Diabetes

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone given up work due to diabetes ? I have many diabetes complications and am struggling daily with neuropathy pain , endometriosis and diabetic gastroparesis as well as chronic anxiety due to the diabetes. I'm only 43 and work part time anyway but I'm struggling at the moment as I continue to decline. My work are very supportive but I no longer feel capable of working to the best of my ability due to diabetes :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Sharrryn Sorry to hear this, it must of been a very difficult decision to make, but also an easy one if you're really suffering with different medical conditions. Putting your health first is a priority though, and if you cannot do your work then it would affect your confidence too, wishing you well x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am fortunate at the moment to be virtually complication free........

I if I had neuropathy pain like you have then my ability to work, at least in certain jobs, would be limited.....

Sorry to hear you unable to do more.....if you feel even your part time hours is a struggle don't feel bad about taking time out for yourself to try and get your health back...

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Sharrryn Sorry to hear this, it must of been a very difficult decision to make, but also an easy one if you're really suffering with different medical conditions. Putting your health first is a priority though, and if you cannot do your work then it would affect your confidence too, wishing you well x
Thanks for your support. I haven't made a final decision yet but with each passing day continuing to be a struggle I think I will need to put my health first and sadly leave work.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am fortunate at the moment to be virtually complication free........

I if I had neuropathy pain like you have then my ability to work, at least in certain jobs, would be limited.....

Sorry to hear you unable to do more.....if you feel even your part time hours is a struggle don't feel bad about taking time out for yourself to try and get your health back...
Thank you. Yes. It is a struggle and it breaks my heart not to be able to live a normal happy work like life but my health needs to come first.

Deanuz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I took sick leave from work for a few weeks mostly with depression and I found that my diabetes was better in the short term but the long term it was worse controlled I found that work offered structure with meal times etc which meant I ate better.

Reactions: Struma

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Are you having treatment for the gastroparesis? And has your GP discussed the possibility of a hysterectomy for the endometriosis?
It seems a real shame to be so affected by all these nasties if there are no solutions or ways to diminish the efffects offered.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I took sick leave from work for a few weeks mostly with depression and I found that my diabetes was better in the short term but the long term it was worse controlled I found that work offered structure with meal times etc which meant I ate better.
Yes. I took some long service leave for a while which helped also. But I enjoy work and being around other people. I go a bit stir crazy at home and not having my work routine but I guess I'll have to weigh up what's best for my health overall.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you having treatment for the gastroparesis? And has your GP discussed the possibility of a hysterectomy for the endometriosis?
It seems a real shame to be so affected by all these nasties if there are no solutions or ways to diminish the efffects offered.
The drug I wa on for the gastroparesis was causing a heart arythmia so I had to stop it sadly. I had laparoscopic surgery for the endometriosis last year but it wasn't successful as it's all growing back already.. Hysterectomy is an option but as they believe it's on my bowels and other organs it will be a major op and I'm not sure I have the strength for it at the moment.

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear you are having complications, it can't be nice at all!
I didn't give up work due to diabetes but I did move from working full time to running my own business from home, (I work outside of home two days a week) I don't know if working from home is an option for yourself but I have found having the flexibility to work around my diabetes has made a huge difference to my diabetic health and mental health.
I don't know what your current job is but if that is something you could sort with your employer maybe it would help?

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear you are having complications, it can't be nice at all!
I didn't give up work due to diabetes but I did move from working full time to running my own business from home, (I work outside of home two days a week) I don't know if working from home is an option for yourself but I have found having the flexibility to work around my diabetes has made a huge difference to my diabetic health and mental health.
I don't know what your current job is but if that is something you could sort with your employer maybe it would help?
Hi. I work in pathology in a hospital laboratory so not possible to work from home. But yes I may need to re think my career to something I could do to work from home.

rimibar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Sharrryn,

My very first post on the forum! Sounds like you've had a bit of time health-wise. Can I ask you if you've done the DAFNE course, or has it been offered to you?

I found DAFNE to be a great refresher on getting your control sorted and I'm know that the trained staff could also help with the other complications you're dealing with.

DAFNE would allow you to choose the right food/insulin regime to manage work hours and demands.

Feel free to PM Mr if you want to chat through. Keep smiling though! You're not alone

rimibar

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Sharrryn,

My very first post on the forum! Sounds like you've had a bit of time health-wise. Can I ask you if you've done the DAFNE course, or has it been offered to you?

I found DAFNE to be a great refresher on getting your control sorted and I'm know that the trained staff could also help with the other complications you're dealing with.

DAFNE would allow you to choose the right food/insulin regime to manage work hours and demands.

Feel free to PM Mr if you want to chat through. Keep smiling though! You're not alone

rimibar
Thanks so much for your reply. I was on the pump for many years which allowed a lot of freedom. Now I'm using injections again DAFNE maybe worth considering.