work?

tony-greaves

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi im 54 and been type 2 diabetic for 9 years recently i've had a ulcer on my outside of my big toe which i informed work of .they sent me to see a independent oho and hes sent back a recommendation that i cannot use workboots to which my work are looking to let me go as there's no jobs available that does not require boots
im at the end of my tether as i cannot see a future without work , any advice would be gratefully received

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forums, can I just say that a future without work is possible .. as you are still young, it is going to be possible for you to retrain for a new kind of work. I do hope your toe settles down soon and repairs its self. Are you able to talk with your current employers and see if you can find something thats not needing the work boots .. there should be something .. It may seem bleak at the moment .. but things have a habit or sorting them selves out .. You may also be wise to ask your union rep or the CAB as to where you stand employment wise.
Hope it goes well for you

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
You might want to speak to your GP about protecting the ulcer to allow you to wear the boots. How are your blood glucose levels? If they are high, that may account for the ulcer. Perhaps a period on the sick while you tackle the ulcer and, if necessary, your blood sugar levels might be a route to take.

Always keep in mind that treated diabetes is classified as a disability under the Equality Act and that provides a degree of protection in the employment field. A union or CAB would be able to advise you about your employer's obligations.

Hope this helps.

Doug