Work

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Trixy83, I read your post this morning and have been thinking of you today. I am similar to yourself, having been diagnosed 2 and a half months ago and have been struggling to fit diabetes into my new life. I am unbelievably tired and have been told that this is perfectly normal after having such high bloods and that it will take a while for my body to recover. Hopefully when you and I have 30+ years experience we will have a similar attitude to the guys above. But at the moment, you are absolutely right that your health comes first - without health, we could do nothing! It sounds like you had a bit of a scary horrible hypo and it took you a bit of time to recover. If I was in your position, I would call my manager and ask if I could start work an hour or two later, and either make up my hours at the end of the day or during the week. That would give you time to recover (even lie down for a while if it makes you feel better) and no absence from work - everyone's happy!

It is a struggle to adjust to diabetes, especially newly diagnosed and when your bloods haven't settled. Not only that but you're a working mother with other things to juggle too. And sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone - you're not alone.

You're doing great :) x

Reactions: 17 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think I have ever phoned in sick or gone home for a hypo, though I have been tempted, but I can tell you I let myself off the hook for achieving anything on those days.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Trixy83, I read your post this morning and have been thinking of you today. I am similar to yourself, having been diagnosed 2 and a half months ago and have been struggling to fit diabetes into my new life. I am unbelievably tired and have been told that this is perfectly normal after having such high bloods and that it will take a while for my body to recover. Hopefully when you and I have 30+ years experience we will have a similar attitude to the guys above. But at the moment, you are absolutely right that your health comes first - without health, we could do nothing! It sounds like you had a bit of a scary horrible hypo and it took you a bit of time to recover. If I was in your position, I would call my manager and ask if I could start work an hour or two later, and either make up my hours at the end of the day or during the week. That would give you time to recover (even lie down for a while if it makes you feel better) and no absence from work - everyone's happy!

It is a struggle to adjust to diabetes, especially newly diagnosed and when your bloods haven't settled. Not only that but you're a working mother with other things to juggle too. And sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone - you're not alone.

You're doing great :) x
That is very good advice Erin