Working on my Prediabetes - newbie to the forum

walk&garden

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker who is finally getting serious about her prediabetes and has been loving all the information I have learned from this and other sites. 59yo female, high normal BMI but need to lose a few kg (classic metabolic syndrome fat around the middle shape) and with high BP (on irbesartan) and with dodgy cholesterol (don't want to take statins especially with risk of raised BSL).
Diagnosed with pre-diabetes in December 2018 with an hba1c of 6.3% and fasting BSL of 5.6 mmol. Had gestational diabetes 20 years or so ago. Average 10,000 steps per day.
Have been slowly improving my diet (my biggest weakness is food) and got myself a blood sugar meter a year or two ago and sporadically measuring my levels. A month ago I started measuring again, and then got myself a Libre sensor which is now up to about day 12. The best thing I ever did, allows me to see exactly what is going on. Have also gone low carb which seems to have a good impact with most meals not having much of a rise if I eat low carb (neglible or less than 2).
Biggest problem seems to be the dawn phenomena, so frustrating to see my levels rise when I get out of bed. My numbers seem to generally hover in the 5's and 6's with rare 4's and occasional 7's when not after meals. Further complicated by the fact that I work about 4 night duties a week - the sensor has taught me that if I eat a meal in the early hours this is the meal with the biggest rise so I have gone back to my almonds snack only.

Getting some conflicting summary numbers from the sensor on the LibreLink phone app vs the computer LibreView site. Phone says average 6.1 and estimated A1C as 5.5% whereas the computer says average 6.1 and GMI (which I believe is A1C) of 5.9%. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting some conflicting summary numbers from the sensor on the LibreLink phone app vs the computer LibreView site. Phone says average 6.1 and estimated A1C as 5.5% whereas the computer says average 6.1 and GMI (which I believe is A1C) of 5.9%. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi @walk&garden , welcome to the forum.
For me the predicted hba1c is also different on the LibreLink app versus the LibreView site, very odd.

App predicts 28 mmol/mol (4.7%) for me, which fits perfectly with Libre consistently reading lower than a fingerprick by 0.8 - 2.0 mmol/l. (It doesn't do that for everyone, but for me it has been that way for years.)

The strange thing is that LibreView predicts 36 mmol/mol (5.5%) based on the same data, which is spot on but doesn't seem to fit with the Libre reading lower than blood.

Just wait for your next hba1c and you'll know which prediction is closer for you.
the sensor has taught me that if I eat a meal in the early hours this is the meal with the biggest rise so I have gone back to my almonds snack only.
If the almond snack leaves you hungry, have you tried a more substantial but zero carb meal? So just bacon and eggs or other meat or cheese?

walk&garden

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply, sorry it has taken so long to get back but working night duties does that. That's very interesting that you have the same experience with the Libre HbA1c differences between the app and the website.

The other pleasing thing I have been noticing is that with slowly losing a little bit of weight (below 60kg for the first time in years) and with a switch to low carb, my blood pressure is have significant downward jumps, although not every day. Just got to keep up the new regime. This morning I was fasting BSL 5.8, blood pressure 120/72 and weight 59.1. My fasting BSL's are often not my lowest reading for the day (stuffed up circardian rhythm due to night shift).

From reading other posts I am getting the vibe that it will probably take a few months before I can see where things stabilise at and whether I can make a significant change to my blood sugar. Does this sound right?

Last edited: